The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a thoroughbred mare who use to be a racehorse. She was taking to a rescue had a training and then I adopted her. She was wonderful to ride and the only problem I had was her taking the bit and turing to the right. We worked with it and it was getting better until we were in the arena and she slipped and I slipped out of the saddle. It's been a few months and I'm trying to work with her. We don't have the bond we use to though. She has an attitude now and I don't know how to fix it. She also kicks at first when she's lunged and the lunge whip is used but after awhile she's fine with it. If you can help I would appreciate it. I want that bond back and I don't want her to have a big attitude.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Sounds like she might be in some kinda pain maybe?

Not to sound rude but there is no such thing as a 'bond' youre either the leader or she is.

Id have her examined by the vet to rule out a pain issue- if thats not the case she needs a professional trainer to help you with her attitude. :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not to sound rude but there is no such thing as a 'bond' youre either the leader or she is.
I think that's true to a point. I do believe in having a bond with your horse, however, it takes quite a while to accomplish. But toto is right, she's established herself as the leader and doesn't like you trying to tell her what to do. In her mind, she is above you, and will treat you as such. I suggest lots of groundwork, and trying to establish yourself as the leader.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Beauty, with any horse who suddenly starts to have an attitude and especially if they kick out on the lunge line you want to rule out pain first. You don't mention whether you used to lunge her before the accident and what she was like on the lunge lie back then. When you have ruled out pain, you know for sure she just needs an attitude adjustment. Then you can get somebody like a trainer to help you with that.

·
Registered
14,355 Posts
First rule out pain, then get some help otherwise it can be frustrating and dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I didn't lunge her before but she did kick at the lunge whip when my instructor used it while I was riding her.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sudden attitude changes are 99% of the time caused by pain. Has a Chiro or vet been out to see her recently?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's not like that anymore we have two other horses in our field now and she's much calmer.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.