The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a pair of Ariat Heritage Contour Zip field boots (my first tall boots, hence why I need some help :)) and know that they will drop, but am unsure about how high they should be when buying new before the drop.

I am short, 5 feet tall, and assumed I would take the ‘short’ height (they come in short, regular, and tall) but my tack shop only had the ‘regular’ in my size in store. It is easy to order the ‘short’ so availability is not an issue – I’m more wondering if the ‘regular’ height shown in the attached pictures is too tall to begin with, and if I should stick with these or order the ‘short’ (the regular hits towards the top of my knee right now, and it feels like I can’t bend my leg at all, which I know will be better once they drop – but I am concerned that they won’t drop enough for it to be comfortable). So, like I said, both heights are available but since I’m new to this I would really appreciate some advice! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Fitting tall boots to be perfect is always a tricky thing, but my gut is telling me that those boots will be ideal once they do drop. Ariat's are known to drop at least an inch and that should put them at the right height for you. I know they are super uncomfortable right now, but you could pick up some heel inserts that you stick in the boots to lift your legs up a few CM to make them a bit more tolerable.

Take a look at this:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/images/art/Equine Library 10 Boot Fit.pdf

Dover's fitting guide for tall boots says that the front of the boot should be near the middle of the knee cap and that's where your boot is. What did the tack shop say? Did they think they would drop enough to fit you perfectly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to bring this old post up again but I'm having the exact same issue and I was wondering if your boots ended up dropping enough or if you would've rather gotten the short ones. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.