The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I will try to make the background as simple as possible. I had my 5 year old quarter horse in training with my barns trainer for October and November. Some things happened and he didn't finish the training that I had paid him for so now I find myself trying to do it. He slowed her trot out and made it ridable. She is wonderful with this. Now I have to get her to slow down her lope and ride collected. She does really well in a trot but I can't get her to stop leading with her head in the air. This is the one thing that I am struggling to get out of her. Every horse that I have had and trained it was from the ground up so taking a horse with bad habits and changing them has been a struggle but a ton of fun. Any advice would be great and very helpful.:D

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
slowing the canter down wont make it collected... is it an uncontrolled canter?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to do both. I need to slow down the canter and collect her. She starts to slow down but won't collect, she fights it as much as she can. Before I got her she was being allowed to go fast so thats what she thinks she can do.

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
MODERATORS NOTE:

This thread is from January of 2010...
With the new forum format ll are getting accustomed to using, seems old threads are now seen in various places...

PLEASE, please watch the date found on every post of every thread that comments are being made on threads current...
Many older threads are no longer needing helpful suggestions made...

With the age and no-activity this thread will be closing..

·
Super Moderator
23,619 Posts
He slowed her trot out and made it ridable. She is wonderful with this. Now I have to get her to slow down her lope and ride collected.
So was this horse being started under saddle, or, as it sounds, she hadn't been started well, so you gave her to the trainer to iron out some issues, such as rushing? I'm assuming she is not rushing out of fear or just lack of experience being ridden and assuming it's not due to discomfort - tho always important to try to rule out/treat any probs causing pain/discomfort before addressing 'training issues'.

How did you go about slowing down her trot? So long as she wasn't rushing out of fear, assuming this is 'retraining', I'd be inclined to just do a lot of trotting, and wait until she has done a fair bit at a fast clip, before asking her to slow - ask her when she's more likely to WANT to, to begin with. Once that's well established, then you can start asking for her to start slow too. And essentially that's how I'd approach slowing a rushing canter too.

I would not even think about teaching her to be 'collected' until I've got all the basics established very well.

I can't get her to stop leading with her head in the air. This is the one thing that I am struggling to get out of her. Every horse that I have had and trained it was from the ground up
Yep, IMO the best way to train/retrain any horse is starting at the start. So if she's not good on the ground, I'd get that going well before riding. If she can't even relax while you're leading her on the ground, get that going well before thinking of riding her. If you start at the start & find she knows stuff well, well you can just progressively move on. But if you do find 'holes' such as this, then you can address them at the base level before moving on. Otherwise, you might start with something more advanced and... fall thru the floor because you didn't realise someone had linoed over a missing section of floor boards!

Specifically with horses who try to resist by holding their head in the air(assuming it's not just an arab who naturally wants to run like that or such), this is generally because the handler has kept unrelenting pressure on the reins. She needs to learn that she will find release when lowering her head. So I'd start at a stand still, teach her to lower her head from gentle rein pressure, quitting ALL pressure the instant she gives the smallest amount to begin with. After some repetition she will get the idea & you can then start asking for a little more. Then do the same at a walk... etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.