The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My senior (19) QH mare is starting to get swayback. She was on hiatus for the summer because I've been working primarily with my Arabian for a few tournaments, but she has been trail ridden on a fairly regular basis. She's lived a very stress-free, easy trail life, so this isn't from a life of hard riding. I know that it is a sign of age, but I'm hoping to correct it as much as possible.

What have you found that will help reduce swayback?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
The first thing an equine chiropractor would say, would be to do belly lifts.

Some horses are easy to do, others are not.

This Joyce Harman, a holistic veterinarian.

Here’s her website:)
https://harmanyequine.com/

Reactions: loosie and KBA6

·
Registered
741 Posts
What I've always been told for swayback is hills, hills, and more hills. It can just be walking. You likely won't be able to raise her back up to a noticeable degree but it can help strengthen her topline so that it doesn't continue to dip so fast.

In my opinion, her back doesn't look bad but I don't know what she looked like before.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Lots of groundpoles. That's what helped with my Moonshine's back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree on the belly lifts but if it is not enough you could get a swayback pad. We have an older mare that is just slightly swaybacked. I purchased a sway back pad for her and she seems much happier and moves out well with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first I have heard of belly lifts! Thank you for that link. I have heard the "hills, hills, hills" mantra but we have pretty hilly pastures and trails, so I was wondering if we could be doing more. I'll see if I can get her to do ground poles without falling over. (She's the clumsiest horse I've ever seen ... every day is her first day with feet.)

And I am glad someone else thinks her back isn't too bad. I haven't been too worried about it until it was pointed out by the vet so I figured I was just wrong and needed to do some extra work.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
I'd first get a chiropractic vet come check her out, to ensure all is in order, then fittening work, including belly lifts & hill work. *But saddle fit/riding her when unfit may be the root cause. Additionally, fitting a saddle to her current back shape, unless very careful & well padded may cause her to be unable to improve - pressure on already atrophied muscles etc. So I'd be doing lots with her in hand & some bareback riding before much if any saddled work - then you can ensure you fit a saddle to a healthier back shape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts