The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the difference between this bit and how it is hooked up to the bridle. Rather it is one way or the other, it appears theres not much difference, if any at all. I know the circle faces the horse neck, but the difference is with the bit flipped straight over, or just flipped from hooked up one way to the other, is there a difference in how the bit works. Both ways the circles would be facing the back.

just want to make sure I have it hooked up correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Just make sure the concave part is facing you when you attach it to the bridle. Looks like you might have to flip that over, but otherwise looks right.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
If you hold the cheek pieces with both hands like you were holding reins, one side of the cross piece corners will look like the inside and outside if you flip it over. That doesn't apply to all bits, but just take a look at it both ways just in case.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you hold the cheek pieces with both hands like you were holding reins, one side of the cross piece corners will look like the inside and outside if you flip it over. That doesn't apply to all bits, but just take a look at it both ways just in case.
so would it appear to be a greater than sign facing me

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
There's an inside and an outside. That's all I can say. I'll try to find a pic that shows it better and repost.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Okay, this is my last attempt. That pic is showing the outside of that bit. The part facing you should be facing out of the horse's mouth. If you were attaching a bridle to it, you would flip it over to the inside and attach it.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I'll try and explain it the bit (middle part) has a curve to it. The inside of the curve should face you.Or using the bit that you pictured the side that the bit is laying on should face you and the side facing up faces away from you.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try and explain it the bit (middle part) has a curve to it. The inside of the curve should face you.Or using the bit that you pictured the side that the bit is laying on should face you and the side facing up faces away from you.
thanks also to myboy.

what i was having a problem with was it seems with the bit either one way or the other, flipped or whatever, it seems that the outside or inside still is able to go the same ways rather it is flipped or not. My dad and this other guy was saying that the old man who owns the tack shop had the bit on wrong. The old man owns horses and has been in the business for a long time lol. Not saying he couldnt have did it wrong, i was just trying to see how there was a difference between the bit being flipped and seeing the difference.

they actually said it needed to be flipped , the man had it upside down

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Yes, a snaffle will go either way but correctly placed, the slight arch in the jointed mouthpiece lays on the tongue. If the arch is placed toward the roof of the mouth the tongue can get a nasty pinch. Before you put it in the horse's mouth, fold the bit closed, both ways and you will see the difference. In the correct position it will fold so that each ring is touching. It won't do so the other way.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes, it will look like a Greater Than sign facing you. It should not bend the other way and still look comfortable. I have that bit, you should be able to tell.

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
The bit is curved like this ) the front of the )<this side, should be closest to the horses nose, ie. facing forward. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bit is curved like this ) the front of the )<this side, should be closest to the horses nose, ie. facing forward. Hope that makes sense.
i think that is a good illustration and easier to actually picture here at work.

so just for kickers, make sure the peak point of the greater than sign is facing toward the nose? And like one other poster said, with the bit in that position but flipped over, one way will look not so right and also the joints won't close the same both ways and i should therefore be able to see the difference?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.