The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we lost one of our horses to colic. We only had 2 horses, Anne and Purcella. Both around 21. They had been together for 13 years. 10 before we got them and the 3 we had them. Purcella passed this morning. We did everything to save her but we couldn’t. We took Anne up to see her body before burial and she sniffed it. When she started to be more interested in the snow I took her back. It is -20 here now and Anne is by herself. I am worried about her. It is supposed to get into the 60’s this weekend but i am worried about her. She had been staying in her run in all day and eating, but not as much as normal. When she sees me come to the gate she started neighing and follows me like a lost dog. I want to spend time with her but it is so cold I can’t stay out for long. I know we need to get her a new companion but I am worried that won’t be enough. What should I do for her to make her better? And keep her healthy. Should I get another mare or would any be fine. Thank you so much for everything

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
Getting another companion will be good...mare or gelding.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'd give her a little time to grieve, then look for a suitable new companion. There will be an adjustment but try to match her with a mellow new friend who won't add too much stress. So sorry for your loss 😞

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so much. Most of the day now she has been standing outside her barn staring at the pasture of the neighbors. I am just worried I don’t want anything to happen to her. Again thank you so much!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I think that she will be fine. She is so used to the company that there has to be an adjustment period for her. If it were me, I would probably look for another companion for her if I were capable of doing that but I would probably wait a little bit to give her time to adjust. I would probably try to spend more time with her and keep her company as much as possible. Do you ride at all? Maybe some extra long grooming sessions once the weather warms up a bit will do her some good.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
@Jay 19; Very sorry for your loss. I feel your concern, was in that situation 7 years ago when Walka's mother passed. He was 14 and never been without her (except camping weekends T and I went on).

He grieved for a short time, and then excepted the new normal. Almost a year afterward I brought Misty home to be his companion. It was a love/hate relationship, but has morphed into more love/tolerate. LOL.

Give her time to adjust, she will, probably easier than her human. {{Hugs}}

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I do ride fairly often around the yard. I haven’t been recently because of how cold it has been. As soon as it gets to a tolerable weather I will be out with her a lot. We are staring the search for a new horse now. I just hate her being alone

·
Super Moderator
22,786 Posts
Hi Jay19 & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have a horse who I think is still depressed after nearly 2 months, at the loss of his 2 pony pals that I had to part with. He is not alone, we have 3 other horses, but they chase him away from them all the time & the ponies were nice to him - he has a bit of an Eeyore disposition anyway... But yes, ensuring they have other company is generally good for them & I personally if in your situation would look at getting another horse(or other grazing animals can be adequate) ASAP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jay19 & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have a horse who I think is still depressed after nearly 2 months, at the loss of his 2 pony pals that I had to part with. He is not alone, we have 3 other horses, but they chase him away from them all the time & the ponies were nice to him - he has a bit of an Eeyore disposition anyway... But yes, ensuring they have other company is generally good for them & I personally if in your situation would look at getting another horse(or other grazing animals can be adequate) ASAP.

Thank you for your response. And we have decided that getting one as soon as possible will be best. We are calling our trainer tomorrow since he knows a guy that trains and sells horses and we are going to try and find a good horse for both me and Anne. It’s such hard times for both of us and since she is a herd animal I don’t want her to be alone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts