The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my larger mare had taken a spill about 5 weeks ago now. She developed a nice sized hematoma on the inside of her rear left thigh. i left it alone for the first 3 weeks, then started draining it every night it reduced then filled back up. I had the vet come out as her udder swelled up and i thought she got mastistis. He said it was just from the trauma and her udder went back to normal in 48 hrs . the hematoma has come down slightly. The vet perscribed bactrim for 7 days she's starting that tomorrow it just came in the mail. I saved over $100 by getting the med's from dr foster and smith . i HIGHLY reccomend that site to any one who ever needs med's for their horse(s).

any way, he said it will be 3 months untill it heals and to just hose it.
any one have any home remedies to help it speed up? i dont care about riding the ground is frozen i just dont want her to be uncomfy any more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation... although I know it's hard with a horse. If she seems to be in pain, you can put a warm compress of for a few minutes, it will feel heavenly for her, but will increase the blood flow so you'll have to make sure to ice (or cold hose) it after. If it is in a place that you can gently wrap with a polo or elastic bandage without endangering her tendons or ligaments, that will help work the blood out. Make sure you keep an eye out for infection, as a pool of unused blood can be a breeding ground for bacteria, even with the sulfa tablets. Oh, and avoid Bute and Flunuxin! Because Bute is designed to reduce swelling, it will actually compromise the body's ability to fight infection.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried wrapping it with vetwrap it just slides down her leg haha

good news though the hematoma is about 3/4 the size so im happy =D she was running around playing in the snow today so i guess its feeling better. she still looks off'ish on it idk. we'll see with time . im in no rush =]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.