The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My mare's field has a lot of hemlock in it (as I've been told by specialists) but the barn owner won't do anything about it. Recently, my mare has been acting very erratic (i.e. rearing, spinning, generally not listening, being tense all the time) and I was wondering if this could be partially from her eating too much hemlock? I've heard it could make horses nervous. She is a generally "hot" horse but she has never acted like this before. She is not the only horse exhibiting these nervous behaviors.

YES, her teeth/back have been checked. Saddle is fitted perfectly, chiro/massage has been done. She's A-OK in the physical department.

Thanks,

Eventerdrew and Demi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Do not let your horse east hemlock! It is extremely poisonous to them and humans as well. This website is helpful: Poison Hemlock: A Poisonous Plant for Horses
If your horse had eaten hemlock she would probably be dead already so I would guess that she hasn't but you should still have the vet out and move her to a hemlock free field.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I'm sure she's eaten at least a bit of it. Maybe not enough to affect her in a big way, but there's apparently tons of it in the field.

Tips on how to approach a barn owner who really doesn't want to hear it??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Perhaps she doesn't know how dangerous hemlock can be. Maybe you could print out some stuff on it and politely talk to her. If she still refuses to do anything I would find a different place to board.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When a horse was boarding there that had severe allergies, her owner had her field (now my mare's field) tested and the person who came out noticed the high levels of hemlock by just glancing in her field.

That's why I'm so worried :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
I would move my horse. If the BO is uninterested in hearing your concerns about an extremely poisonous plant being in the pasture, then I would be uninterested in boarding there. You don't want to go out one day and find your horse dead in the pasture, so get out of there as fast as you can!

You can try talking to the BO about it and see if he/she will take care of it. Hopefully he/she will, for the welfare of all of the horses.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top