The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen one of these saddles before? I just recently acquired one and in the process of restoring it. My father in law bought it back between 1969-1972 and threw it up in his garage attic. Where until about a week ago it sat.

I looked on both fenders by the blevin buckle, all around the skirt area, there is no latigo keeper but did look at the latigo strap to see(long shot I know), the surface of the saddle is covered in silver, including the cantle, swell and corners. Lots of tooling and engraved flowers on the silver conchos. The rise of the seat has a silver stamp of that says Hereford Brand Tex Tan of Yoakum. The saddle came with bridle, breast plate, Taps, Hip drops and Serape, all have silver matching the saddle. The Taps have the initial M on them with the Hereford Brand stamp on each side, and the Hip Drops have the letters SC on them. Saddle was in the Rosebowl parade, not sure of year but mother in law saw it on a white horse.

Where would you look for the model/serial number? Could this saddle be without one?

Thanks,
Shiloh

Super Moderator
Send the pictures of it to TexTan. {If you shared pictures here I do not see them.}
Of all the chances they should know their product, the year made and particulars of the saddle.
Who the saddle was made specific for may not be shared though as private information of sales is not always for public knowledge.
However, if they can age the saddle, you might then be able to track down which organization rode their horses in that saddlery as it would not be a single rider but group, find a list of names of said group and then uncover the possible owner of "M" saddle you now have.
Detective work ahead for you if you really want to know facts...
馃惔... jmo...

Registered
I bought my first brand new saddle around then, and it was a Tex Tan/Hereford brand. I don't think it had a serial number on it. Definitely no metal plate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll upload the pictures when I get home. I'm at work and have been researching as much as I can on here. I had thought it was a Ted Flowers as my father in law said it was made by the same individual as Roy Rogers...I was hoping for a RR on the taps :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get a hold of Tex Tan and they said no number they can't trace it. She was nice though and said that Tex Tan took over Hereford Brand late 70s early 90s. Many of the early saddles were not marked with numbers. I forgot to upload pictures of it last night. I worked on it for two hours, doing the first coat of oil over the seat and seat jockeys. The leather is extremely dry but after that first application it already feels better to touch. Sort of excited to work on it each day. I want to get the bridle done so I can put it on Molly, my Friesian cross. The saddle weighs a lot so I'm okay not putting that on her quite yet...as she is 16.2 and its not fun throwing things on. May have to use the picnic table :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts