The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a troll. I am dead serious. I have recently bought a new mare for breeding but it has a problem. It has a VERY oversized clitoris and vagina which extends down from top to bottom about 2 hands or so. This clitoris itself remains well hidden while it is not in heat. But when she is in heat, her clitoris shoots out of her body and extends out roughly 5-6 or so inches with a diameter of maybe 3 inches. Any stallions that attempt to mate with her quickly get off. Is there a way I can solve this problem?

· Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm not sure how to solve this problem, but in the future when buying a breeding animal, you should have a pre purchase exam done by a veterinarian to assess the breeding soundness of the animal. Sounds like you don't have much experience with breeding.

· Banned
10 Posts
Typically speaking, a Hermaphrodite mare usually has undersized female genitalia. So your mare could have something different going on altogether. Or they could just be a different type of Hermaphrodite than what is usually reported.

Either way, have a vet out to conduct an exam and draw blood for testing.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
It sounds like you could have a true case of hermaphroditism. You would need a vet to confirm, and perhaps a karotype to tell you some more information.

But if she is a hermaphrodite, she is more likely infertile. She may or may not have ovaries, testicles, a uterus or could have some combination of both. If she does a
Have internal testicles, they should be removed to prevent cancer. But a vet exam, ultrasounds and bloodwork would be needed to given you more information and the complete picture.

Unfortunately, I have an intersex mare, we did not find out until we did her breeding soundness exam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.