The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Evanthia and just found my dream horse, I am so excited and so glad to have found this forum! His name is Koda and he is a 3yr old Paint gelding who is just a sweetie! It's been years since I have owned a horse so I consider myself a newbie, so any advice would be welcome! He's been started gently but still needs broke. :D Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
what a looker! the best of luck with him!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what a handsome horse, what are your plans with him?
Oh and welcome
Thank you so much! Well once he's broke to ride we will move to Tennessee in the Smokey Mountains and train him in trail riding and from there who knows but I am open to learning new things and hopefully he will too!

1,165 Posts
Yes, I am going to do a lot of ground work with him first and then have a friend of mine help me with him too! Do you have any suggestions?

Sounds like you have a good plan all ready... You can never do too much ground work in my opinion. :wink:
Improves your trust in each other and builds confidence.

Make sure he is familiar with the sites, sounds, and feel of all the tack, saddle etc., if he is not all ready. Sounds like he's been saddled and ridden a bit though?
Having your friend around for assistance is great. Always good to have some one around for the first few rides, just in case.
Keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Beautiful boy :) Glad you plan on doing lots of ground work. I'm big on lungeing, ground driving, and lungeing with a rider the first time they have someone on board. I like to have them at least walk/trot and steering broke in the arena, and then hit the trails with a friend to lead on a bombproof horse (they always take their cues about what's scary from the "other guy"), or just walk beside you if they don't have a horse. If you want a good trail horse, be sure to desensitize them from an early age to things like gravel trucks and motorcyles! You never know what you'll run across in the back country, and your horse needs to be able to handle it all. Well, if he's as laid back as he is handsome, you'll be fine, right? Good luck, and we'll be here for you if you need us :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
welcome and what a lovely boy - his eyes are just beautiful!

love the trail plan. any specific reason for the move to TN?
i'm planning on moving to Lake Luzerne, NY (Lake George area north of Albany, just south of Lake Placid) in the next year so i can focus on my horses and some local shows and fun stuff while still also doing lots of trails and snowmobiling in the winter!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts