The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm a 55 year old born again beginner.
When I rode a million years ago, there was no talk of groundwork, Dentists, sizes etc... you got a horse chucked whatever saddle, bridle on that you had handy and off you went for the day. never even heard of Colic back then.
Anyway I have learnt so much over the last year, my heads spinning. But I'm still wanting to learn more!!

I do have a couple of questions...
I bought a Standy she's 12 yrs old and was raced until (and won) 2013. she then had 2 foals in 2015 and 2016. not sure if anyone ever rode her. I bought her from a business here, that I've since found out they are nothing but money hungry scammers. I would never have bought a Standy, especially for the price I paid.
So cutting a very long story short. I refused to return her to them.
I have ridden her numerous times, but...

1 when I go to do up the girth she bites me. Once it's done up she's completely fine.

2 when I go to mount her from my standing block ( a chair or step or whatever I have there), she will walk in circles. I immediately get her to walk backwards, forwards etc and try again, but no matter what I do she still goes in circles, eventually ( it's like she's playing with me) she lets me on, but then moves forward straight away.

3 Once moving I can't get her to stop in one place. I have to either keep moving forward or go in circles.

HELLLLPPPPP!!!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I am sorry you purchased a horse from scammers. I owned a wonderful standardbred gelding many years ago. He was a pacer and a lovely riding horse!

To help - any biting especially during saddling is most likely ulcers. Especially since she was a performance horse. Treatment with U-Guard can be pricey but is well worth it. And ulcers can be hard to detect with a scope so at times it is more cost effective to just treat and forego the scope.

Since we do not know what riding experience the horse had before you purchased her I would start at ground zero for ground manners. Just spend some time reinforcing whoa and go etc. As for the mounting block she may not really understand halting and standing while you mount. I had the same issue with my mare. I took mounting with her facing my trailer (you could use a fence) and once I was mounted I would lean down and give her a small treat. She quickly learned that standing still and waiting for the treat was great. Eventually I only gave treats every few mounts and now just very occasionally. Ken McNabb had a great show on teaching your horse to move toward the mounting block. I have worked with this with my mare and hope to have it nailed down by this summer. I am sure youtube has videos showing this.

Welcome back to the horse world! My simplest advice is to spend lots of time just doing ground work with your new horse - lots and lots of it. make it fun for both of you. Teach her to side pass both directions. Over logs, teach her to stand on things walk through things. This helps bond you and the horse.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I would think ulcers as well. If it were me, I'd get a vet out and have her looked at before I tried to ride her again. Either you're going to keep causing her pain, or she's going to learn that it's OK to bite when being girthed, or both.

I got all of mine to stand still at the mounting block by using treats. Take horse to mounting block, "Good boy," feed treat. Ask horse to stand still, "Good boy," feed treat. Stand some more. "Good boy." Treat. Get on the mounting block, ask to stand, "Good boy," treat. Treat. Etc.

I agree with thinking about things as restarting her. Just take things slowly and find out where she has holes. But ideally, I think you should get a trainer to help you work through these issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts