The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some horses, whether it be a pleasure Quarter horse or a show jumping warmblood, on various for sale sites that are $50,000 to over $100,000. Are they worth it? Do people actually pay that much for a horse? (I'm not trying to talk down to anyone who does, I'm just curious!)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well the barn I work at has horses that sold for close to 1 million. So yes people do pay that. Racehorses frequently sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Many horses go for those prices and beyond. A horse is worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay for it. So if people are paying over millions for a horse, I would say that horse is worth millions.

I've known many Quarter Horses that go for $650,000+ and a few warmbloods that go for millions. The Green Monkey was a Thoroughbred that was sold for $17 million. Totilas (a Dutch Warmblood) was sold for around $20 million euros.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
Even not counting TBs with the potential to win races, I see horses in the $100,000 area.

I remember working for one TB farm and being asked to take a group of mares to a breeding farm. It was the first time I hauled for anyone. Driving from Louisville toward Lexington, I added the value of the mares up and realized I was pulling more than $7 million dollars worth of horses. I suddenly felt very inadequate to the task.

In polo I've been present a couple times when someone gives away a horse worth more than $50 thousand. Ai! And instead of falling off my chair and gasping, I've learned to just smile and say things like, "Oh how nice of you." or "That's wonderful. I'm sure you'll like the mare."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.