The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! One thing ive been noticing lately is that my QH is running around a lot with a high tail?? Im just curious to know what it means because ive never seen it before in a quarter horse. Ive attached a video just in case it helps.

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
Well...someone is feeling good.

Tails are one of the easiest seen display of how they are feeling...
Your horse to me, is doing what is referred to as "flagging".
Can be done by geldings, mares or stallions for that matter.
Shows their exuberance, them feeling good.
Spooked, startled or scared horses also can flag their tail...
And mares often "flag" to attract attention and catch the eye of the ummm...well the gentleman.
Whatever your horses gender...sure is pretty in pictures.:smile:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Ah yes... the most easily understood language a horse will speak to you: That of joy and exuberance. I have some mutts, some grade quarter horses, a registered QH, a BLM yearling, a grade paint filly, and a registered paint mare... they all do this.

Spring is coming, they know it, they feel it in their bones, and with it, comes this display of joy.

I've even ridden our Old Man... a 25 year old last summer... on trails... and he will leave out with a spring in his step, a light in his eye, and his tail hitched up almost the entire time. If it was a pain response, he'd launch me out of the saddle - he won't tolerate block headed people. Neither would he take off at a trot or a short lope. He'd plant his feet and refuse to move.

I especially like seeing that tail up, hearing that snort... and watching one do the boing-boing run across the pasture. They will bounce like a bunny hop sometimes, that tail just a flagging.

It's joy... allow yourself to be caught up in it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.