The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one of my friends and I were looking back on pictures of me and Junior and such. Well since he got sold I have decided to give up jumping, at least for a while because at this time I can't afford to get a horse and the only horse I have found to start riding is a barrel mare. Therefore, I am getting back into barrels for a little while, but my jumping dream isn't over.

So we had a long talk about me giving it up and she says that I am a natural :] I was just curious to what your guys saw in me over a year ago.

This is from the first two days of me ever jumping in my life, keep in mind this is 100% self taught, never had a lesson in jumping and these are from the first two times I had EVER been over jumps on a horse.

MY HEELS WERE HORRIBLE! They are so much better now lol.

And just because I love to show him off, some dressage pictures which you can also critique if you want to. My eq was horrible back then though.

Anywho critique, comment, anything :] Thanks!

·
Banned
752 Posts
LOL.. that is a ******* jump if i've ever seen one :) good job on the creativity ^_^

Heels (as you said), you need to bring your leg further back. Your position just needs a little fine tuning.. its not HORRIBLE (aside from the heels.. lol) your horse doesnt look like he likes jumping :p

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL.. that is a ******* jump if i've ever seen one :) good job on the creativity ^_^

Heels (as you said), you need to bring your leg further back. Your position just needs a little fine tuning.. its not HORRIBLE (aside from the heels.. lol) your horse doesnt look like he likes jumping :p
I am not sure if you read what I wrote in the original post?

I don't mean to sound rude but this was over a year ago and it was my second time jumping in my entire life with no professional lessons lol.

The critique is fine though it doesn't really help me much anymore lol, I was more of looking to see if people agreed with my friend. She says that I was a natural from the beginning because even without any training and it only being my second time ever jumping I managed to look like that. [It think I look horrible, she doesn't agree lol]

And he loves to jump, his ears are tilted back because he was listening to me, I was smooching to him most of the time in the pictures. But yeah he loves jumping, in videos you can see his ears are pricked straight forward until he takes off and then he flicks them back to listen to me lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I think they meant the actual jump that you are going over (the two by four and step stool and such) not your actual jumping position. I think your position does look pretty good given the experience you had at the time. I don't know about a natural but you might have more of a headstart than most. With some lessons your position should tune up nicely. You will also learn to set your horse up for the jump (stride wise).
I don't know if it's the angle but in the dressage pics it looks like your saddle is too far over his withers. When you ride again I would try moving it back a little so you are not interfering with his shoulder. Good luck with barrels. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think they meant the actual jump that you are going over (the two by four and step stool and such) not your actual jumping position. I think your position does look pretty good given the experience you had at the time. I don't know about a natural but you might have more of a headstart than most. With some lessons your position should tune up nicely. You will also learn to set your horse up for the jump (stride wise).
I don't know if it's the angle but in the dressage pics it looks like your saddle is too far over his withers. When you ride again I would try moving it back a little so you are not interfering with his shoulder. Good luck with barrels. :)
I know I was commenting on the second part of their post :]

Also as I said I did improve over the last year on the jumping lol, I am not near that bad anymore. That was an old saddle, I have a new one now that fits him a lot better. But it doesn't really matter anymore I don't get to ride him anymore, he got sold.

I will be doing barrels with a new horse.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Ohh, I wasn't being rude at all.. sorry if it came across to you that way.
I was just telling you what I thought.. indeed I didn't read it thoroughly, but now that I have I would still post the same thing. As for the agreeing thing the friend thing.. I did say it wasn't horrible, it just needed a little fine tuning- implying that I thought it was good seeing as you haven't had any lessons..

Anyway.. CHEERS!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What I see is that your hip angle is pretty contracted, even when you're riding on the flat. Think tall and long, let your legs stretch down and wrap around your horse's sides like a wet towel. Lift yourself UP through your core....think about pulling your belly button UP, knitting your ribs together and think armpits down. This is a very athletic position where your spine is engaged...but make sure you are able to breath! Don't be stiff. You tend to pinch with your knee, which can result/is the result of a contracted hip angle.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
It might do is more justice to see more up to date pictures of you jumping Junior; like prior to his sale. That way we can see the improvement on your first attempts. While you did have good position in those few jumps, it would be good to see how you actually progressed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I love looking through old pictures! It always gives me a good reminder of how far I've come in just five years! (Actually, even the year that I've spent with Freddy; I've progressed incredibly fast.)
I pulled up a couple of my old jumping pictures from when I used to be in Pony Club. It's surprising to see that my problem was jumping ahead all the time:

Wow!

But your friend was right, not just anyone can look that good jumping for their first time. Though, I sure hope you've fixed that chair seat on the flat! ;3
And remember that the saddle shouldn't be on the horse's shoulder, it should be behind it; you can actually not only hurt the horse, but your position changes quite a bit because you're setting your seat in front of the motion of the horse. ~

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't really have any great photos of us jumping for me eq wise but I will post a few updated ones.

In these my stirrups are too long, I know so please don't tell me or you will be ignored. My trainer wanted me to try out the longer stirrups to see how it worked out.

Then one flat picture because I have none hardly of us.

But yes my chair seat is fixed lol even though I don't have picture proof of it right now :]

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think you do amazing for never having lessons. Keep up the good, natural work lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your leg looks great in the new pictures! Your back is a little rounded, but that's all I really see.
In the second picture your position is wonderful!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys :]

Yeah I noticed I round my back over the higher jumps too :[ I think it is a security thing.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Wow, massive improvement, even with the long stirrups!
I was just going to say the same thing; your position even with the long stirrups tells us that you have worked hard and come a long long ways :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your position looks immensely better in the newer pictures. Arching your back over the jumps will be easier if you open your shoulder more - it appears as though you are crunching your shoulders over the jump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.