1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If it doesn't appeal to you then don't use them. I like them and they have never done any harm to my horses. If anything they help keep them safe in some situations and more comfortable in others. When I am camping in the backcountry I can hobble my horses and they can get feed and water when they need to and they don't have as much impact on the ground as tying them up all the time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't like hobbles either. Just tie the horse up. Because if a predator comes along, gee maybe I should NOT have done that :? Plus they seem like a pain, can they even lay down or move with them on?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Personally, anyone who doesn't like hobbles, doesn't understand their purpose. It is a mainstay of a trail rider or anyone who has to do fence work on the open pastures. The American cowboy, as just one example, needs that tool to help in his work and, as Kevin said, it can get a horse out of a lot of trouble by teaching him to stay still when necessary.

Right now, I'm taking care of a horse for a friend that had an old tarp blow into the pasture one day during a pretty bad wind storm. The horse got tangled in it and fought to free himself. He was in pretty bad shape when he was found a day latter. Had the horse been accustom to hobbles, he would have just stood there until freed.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have seen many horses tied long enough to eat get caught in the rope and hurt or, in one case, killed. Horses with hobbles on can move but it takes more effort to move very fast and they will stop pretty soon. Horses that are tied and hobbled learn to stand without pawing and dancing around. Predators are really not much of a danger to horses hobbled or not. The chances of a predator getting after your horse is much smaller than having them hit by lightning. They are an important tool and if you don't want to use them then don't but realize that they are not harmful or dangerous to a horse.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I has only seen them used in a stall so a horse wouldn't lay down. Although I know they could be used outside. The stall thing I still don't agree with. But the training and ranching thing I can actully see the purpose. Why then would you use them in a stall so a horse wouldn'y lay down? I saw one person do this to their horses (in stalls) all day and night. Sometimes he would take them off, but very rarely. The horses were not injured or anything, confused me :?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Jiblethead, to quote the title of a book by Ron White, You Can't Fix Stupid. Why someone does a dumb thing is sometimes only know to them. Why does anyone abuse a horse or any animal for that matter?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't worry Kevin, I won't use them. I'm just curious to see if anyone has or hasn't and why. Nor am I saying that anyone who does use them is a horrible horse owner. I've just never seen anyone use them until I read a book by Heather Cook.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So there was no purpose for him doing this. I didn't think there was. It's sad people do this for no reason :( He sold all his horses a few years ago (Havana included).

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
So there was no purpose for him doing this. I didn't think there was. It's sad people do this for no reason :( He sold all his horses a few years ago (Havana included).
He may have had a reason. You should have ask him.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ We have to remember that it was her opinion that she made based on inferences. If I asked someone why they did something every time I questioned them in my head then I would get nothing done, ever. :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
^ We have to remember that it was her opinion that she made based on inferences. If I asked someone why they did something every time I questioned them in my head then I would get nothing done, ever. :D
Agreed. But the guy also abused his horses in other ways. For instance Havana was badly dehydrated and her ribs were sticking waaay out :-( And I think (never saw him do this, but I didn't stick around to long) he also did some whipping. Because Havana freaks at sticks, whips, and she's head shy. I'm just glad he had to get rid of all his horses, at least the horses had a chance at a better life.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Next time I head down to moms, I am going to start working Tom on hobbles. I think they are valuable on the trail, when grooming, if the horse gets caught up in something, or really any time you want your horse to stand still and not fidget.

I see no harm in hobbles if they are properly fitted and the horse is acclimated with them, they can do a lot less damage than a rope, that is for sure.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've always wanted to teach my QH how to hobble. Just a good "skill" (if you can call it a skill) for them to learn.. ya never know when it will come in handy. One day I'll get around to teaching him :)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I am definately planning on hobble training Bundy and Latte - Just have to find the time.

I think it is a great skill for a horse to have and I think I could find it very useful. There is nothing cruel or wrong about it when done properly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had to teach my youngster to hobble, as she is a chronic pawer and was bound to damage herself when tied to the float. I once found her with both front feet up on the wheel arch of my float, so it was safer for both her and my float to hobble her.

She's much better now though, so I do need them very often at all anymore

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Might try it on our new TWH too, she is horrendous with standing still, LOVES to paw... Might be a great lesson for her.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never been introduced to it. Nor did I know people still used anything like it so I taught my horse patience a different way. I suppose if I ever went away to trail ride I would possibly try one out. The more research I do the less I dislike it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.