The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you heard of hog tying a horse to have them become submissive to you? I was told that the feet would be tied together so that they could not get up and they would lay on the ground for hours after exhausting themselves from the struggle.

Would this only be used in a circumstance where a horse was completely out of control? Yesterday someone mentioned that they may try this with their horse that was acting up. It sounds pretty extreme.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Okay, that seems a little too extreme to be doing that. There are many different ways to tire a horse out!

Reactions: Lexiie

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think she means laying the horse down and tying its feet together. I've laid plenty of horses down and it's actually quite gentle if it's done right. I would never tie one down. I see no reason for it as the submission comes from the laying down not the staying down.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
No kidding!

I'm just not sure that I understand why it's done? If the horse was submissive afterwards, wouldn't they be back to their "normal self" the next day?
Not if it's done right.

Reactions: myhorsesonador

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think she means laying the horse down and tying its feet together. I've laid plenty of horses down and it's actually quite gentle if it's done right. I would never tie one down. I see no reason for it as the submission comes from the laying down not the staying down.
Well, that makes more sense if it is done gently and the submission is done through the laying down. She talked about leaving the horse there for hours.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Somebody is missing the whole point.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Eh either way, I still think I'd prefer just a good ol lunging session myself if a horse is having one of those "testy" days... different things for different people, I guess as long as the horse isn't hurt.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Walter(first name?) Berry had a popular horse training method, with books about 100 years ago and he made horses submission by tying up a front leg for short periods. (I know bc I read his short books.) ANY foot holding to a green horse will be met with a fight. Craig Cameron has had several programs where you lunged with a long line and would periodically isolate, grab a foot, then let it go in an effort to desensitize the horse's flight fear and prey fear since they depend upon their ability to run away when there is danger. I'd look into that for help. =D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ok - I actually have experience with this....

In many areas of the country this is normal practice. Just somethign they do to every new horse that comes in....

The way it was done where I grew up was this (prepare to be traumatized!!) Central California

The new horse woudl be trailed into the stable - usually a young untouched horse. The stock trailer would be opened to let the horse loose into the arena. Then they woudl use a roping horse to rope the new horse's front legs, tripping them to the ground. Sometimes they would drag them around like that, sometimes not. At that point four or five big men would converge on the poor beast and tie all four feet together - completley hog tied.

Using the rope horse or a truck, the horse would be drug by thier legs out of the arena and into a stall. Once in the stall, a tarp was laid over the horse, leavign them in the dark.

24 to 48 hours later - yes, that long, the tarp woudl be removed and halter with a drag line put on the horse. At that point the legs would be untied and the horse offered water.

I bought a colt they had done this to and it took YEARS to get him to relax about havign his front legs touched.

I am not above lying down a horse who has reared up by overbalancign them if they are on safe ground, but I would NEVER hog tie a horse nor would I be friends with someone who thought this an acceptable practice. I can get an unruley horse under control without traumatizing them.

IMO if a horse is bad enough that these typpes of measures are being considered, sell it for dogfood and get a new horse.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I googled hobbling and saw pictures, explanations, and video. She was definitely not talking about hobbling. What I watched/read was gentle.

She was talking about tying her feet together and keeping the mare on the ground for hours and hours until it became submissive. The reason I posted this question is because I was shocked that she was considering this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok

I am not above lying down a horse who has reared up by overbalancign them if they are on safe ground, but I would NEVER hog tie a horse nor would I be friends with someone who thought this an acceptable practice. I can get an unruley horse under control without traumatizing them.

IMO if a horse is bad enough that these typpes of measures are being considered, sell it for dogfood and get a new horse.
That's the thing! This horse is not even unruly. She acts up on the trail because she is barn sour. She does not rear, buck, etc. She tries to crow hop and go back home- that's it! Children have ridden this horse, but she is not responding well to her new "person". She gives her a testy attitude every ride, which is why she has begun to consider doing this. I'm just having a tough time with it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Get as far away from that person as you can... they are not right in the head.

It is possible they are trying to talk tough to hide that they don't know what they are doing - but not someone I would want to be around. Horses never act the same for every person who handles them. It takes someone who has been well educated to know that they don't know anything!

The day I stop learning is the day I drop dead!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Have you heard of hog tying a horse to have them become submissive to you? I was told that the feet would be tied together so that they could not get up and they would lay on the ground for hours after exhausting themselves from the struggle.
Horses down - especially prone - for a long period of time are at a great risk of fluid collecting in their lungs and developing pneumonia.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.