The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have 1 pair of breeches that actually fit properly without sliding down. They are quite comfortable and I wear them all the time. But tragedy has struck. After my last ride I noticed big holes in the crotch area when I took them off (I hope nobody saw this at the stable, how embarrassing).

So.... I found new ones on ebay and at Dover but after all my show purchases, my hubby won't allow me to buy a few pair at the 60 buck price. There are a few used pair in WHITE, which because they are 95% cotton I guess I could dye (I've had great success in the past with dying cotton breeches).

Or... would it be completely over the top and "unclassy" of me to put some big horse motif patches on them? I thought maybe of doing a sort of collage in a "full seat" design. Would this be too detracting to others to see? What is your opinion?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think it would be awesome from what I'm picturing. But you might wanna check with your ring master on what the standards are with your showing arena. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
51,085 Posts
I am not sure your husband understands that a pair of schooling breeches is pretty fundamental to a rider. tell him there's nothing in the budget for him to get new underware when he gets holes in his.
Just kidding, of course.

hard to find good used breeches.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am not sure your husband understands that a pair of schooling breeches is pretty fundamental to a rider. tell him there's nothing in the budget for him to get new underware when he gets holes in his.
Just kidding, of course.

Haha that was hilarious!!

Cinny, I think that's a pretty neat idea and would be good for a chuckle, I like it!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just kidding, of course.

I understand where he is coming from which is that I have 3 other pair of breeches. It's just that I take 4 steps and the crotch is instantly at my knees :( These particular brand and style do not do that, they fit very very well.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Cinny - what size are you? I have a pair of breeches in a size 30 that I have never even worn and was going to leave them at the barn in case one of the girls there needed them. Light tan colored. Not show quality but decent to school in. PM me if you want!

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Man, ALL of my riding pants, breeches or jeans got at the crotch. **rant sounds!!**
I'm taking my favorite pair of jeans and making them full seat with another, older pair or worn out jeans. I say, patch 'em and wear them proudly!!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I have succeeded in acquiring permission to buy 3 of the 5 pair that one person has for sale. They are white.... so one for show, and 2 to dye whatever color I want :)

My current show breeches were also previously owned by someone. She had cut them about an inch below the knee as to keep from having bulk in her boots. Unfortunately this means that for shows I have to duck tape them to my calves so they don't ride up and come out of my boots..... very tacky!

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I noticed recently that my riding pants have some holes along the seams-I fully intend to repair them, but I'm really missing the consignmnet shop in CA! Luckily, I'm usually only riding w/my 1 neighbor lady & we're wearing long, heavy jackets,but I will have to get the needle & thread out, as it will be warming up soon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I noticed recently that my riding pants have some holes along the seams-I fully intend to repair them, but I'm really missing the consignmnet shop in CA! Luckily, I'm usually only riding w/my 1 neighbor lady & we're wearing long, heavy jackets,but I will have to get the needle & thread out, as it will be warming up soon.
Hmmmmm that wouldn't be the same shop I miss too, would it.... Thrifty Horse!! I'm going there in April, yay. Oh, we intend to visit relatives and Disneyland while we are on our trip to Thrifty Horse. Might as well since will will be in CA for Thrifty Horse, right??

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Yes,- Thrifty Horse! Very often, they have breeches-new & used at 1/2 off. I might try on 15 pair, but only a couple look good, & sometimes there's nothing in my price range that I like. Around there-most of the English riders seem to be toothpicks, & I am not. I like the store so much I even thought of working there evenings or W/E's, but that would have interefered big time w/my riding time. Then I did this big move to AZ & everythings different. Enjoy your trip! hope you get some neat stuff there.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I"m in Nebraska now and about 85% of the population ride western, the rest is 4-H or Pony Club kids. Finding adult English anything is very hard. There are a couple of stores but they aren't really much bigger than my bedroom and have a very small selection. For instance, they only carry regular sizes.... so boots you can't get tall or wide, etc. I am barely in the range of breeches. Most things have to be ordered though, including my size 8 XXW calf boots :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
Oh, no way would I show in them! These would be entirely for schooling only!
Oh. Lol then hell yes! I would be jealous put your custom bad girl breeches! I saw the word show purchases and got thrown off there. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.