The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she got caught in a wire fence, not sure exactly what happened as it was at night, but got a call the next morning to say the vet was on his way. happened a week ago now and she is still yarded and sore, with stacks of medications going into her, but is slowly getting better. Poor girl

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ouch! But nowI have a question: Is it always so, that the barbed wire fences in America are taken as a fence?
I wrote something like this in another topic. It's really dangerous, in Germany no kind of horse stands on a field which is surrounded by a barbed wire fence...
I hope your horse is better off

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my horse wasn't in a barbed wire fence paddock,

was just straight wire, which is why it did so much damage...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Ouch! But nowI have a question: Is it always so, that the barbed wire fences in America are taken as a fence?
I wrote something like this in another topic. It's really dangerous, in Germany no kind of horse stands on a field which is surrounded by a barbed wire fence...
I hope your horse is better off
What else would you call it?

Poor Hollie! :-( Glad to hear she is getting better though! :D Those look like some nasty cuts...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, they are pretty horrid,

they look worse now that they are pushing out infection,
i have now spent more on vet fee's than i did the horse, but she is worth it.

she was trotting around today playing tiggy with me :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Yeah I am not a fan of any fence but wood ... poor girl. Do you have an updated pictures?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no :(

but i can get some...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they look worse now though, much

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Poor girlie! Not too bad thought, she couldn't come out a heck of alot worse. But of purple spray and bute and your girl will fix up very nicely :)
My mare got spooked by a kangaroo one night and went though a SOLID post and rail fence which was also electrified, then through another wire fence, then a hedge, then the nieghbours barbed wire fence and out onto the road. By the time we found her in the morning she had massive chunks out of her shoudlers, face, legs, chest etc. As well as a beautifull puncture wound just above the coronet band at the back of her hind leg- just coming into winter, a prime candidate for greasy heel. **** spooky horses!!! Took her 2 months to be able to go back into a paddock again, she was crippled!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, when hollie was younger she had another fencing accident and had to be stabled for three months, head tied up and all, she just doesnt learn

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow...I can't imagine anything scaring my horse so bad they'd tear up their body to get away from it. Then again they've never been stalled, never had a barn, and never even had a blanket really...put my horse in a barn with 12 other horses and she might not like it! But you get my point...hope she heals fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
omg!!!!! hope she is all right!!!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Wow...I can't imagine anything scaring my horse so bad they'd tear up their body to get away from it. Then again they've never been stalled, never had a barn, and never even had a blanket really...put my horse in a barn with 12 other horses and she might not like it! But you get my point...hope she heals fast.
My girl was normally paddocked 24/7 due to stifle lock, but she was in a large yard over night at my coaches place next to other horses so we could take her and my coaches horse to a comp the next day.
She just had no idea abot self preservation... which is why I sold her making the new owners fully aware of very vice she had, because I am not at all interested in a horse that doesn't care about looking after itself, because it's sure as heck not going to worry about you!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Poor girl.Maybe she has learned to respect the fence alittle more.

this is her third serios fencing injury in her four year life, i dont think she understands the concept just yet :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts