The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I like horses with long lush manes, but this poor horse, looks like they are a couple times when he steps on it and yanks out a chunk. Can't imagine taking care of all that hair either!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've always loved a long mane. But, I have to agree, that mane is too long. Beautiful...but too long.

·
Super Moderator
27,175 Posts
Where is his tail though!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was thinking the same thing at first. But one of the times he turns around, it looks as though they've trimmed the mane and tail to be somewhere around the same length.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Wow... A long mane, but I saw no dancing about that LOL just a horse who was hot off his rocker! And yep, those reins certainly were wrapped around her hands.

That's just too long of a mane.. I do wonder what their care ritual is like for it! Long. White. Mane. BLECH! Can't be fun!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think i would have cut it off at the knee....thats where it starts to thin out plus then its still ridiculously long but safely so....No comment as to the riding, just dont wanna go there...super gorgeous horse though!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Very pretty guy, but...yeah, eh
I agree, cutting it off at the knee would be smarter. Not my thing, but still better than where it is.
I'm kind of glad about the tail, though. The only thing I hate more than a too-long mane is a too-long tail. Together it's a disaster.
It's kind of cute they're the same length..well, not the same length but you know.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Beautiful horse obviously can't go on a trail ride with that mane! Can you imagine winter mud getting tangled in that? *shiver* Pretty but way to long and ya she did have the reins around her fingers and I think the horse does lose some hair at 2:48! Wow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe all of you should address me on You Tube rather than write these nasty comments on this forum. I am quite sure than none of you could ride Garrido, so your commenting on my riding is really just mean and spiteful and inappropriate. It would be like my commenting on your spelling or grammar, or refusal to even use spell check.
The mane is grown long in this breed--the longer the better. Yes he steps on it that is why it is only down for exhibition. And there is no "safety" involved in stepping on a mane--he just tears it out. It is less painful than pulling a hunter/jumper's mane which is done all the time and to the entire mane.
Yes, the reins are wrapped around my hands--I had bathed him for 5 hours and he was getting entirely too strong, and my hands were numb. If you REALLY know about riding, you would see that there is a loop in my reins from my hands to his mouth. I am riding from my seat mostly, and this audience loves to see exhibition horses act up.
And about my horse--he was charroed by his prior owner for four miserable years before I met him and ultimately sold my house to buy him. He was dangerous when I bought him. He routinely bit humans and even took the scalp off of one person--I watched it. It took 45 minutes of patient waiting before I could even mount. Now I can allow my amateur students to ride him without fear that they will be harmed.
It is very easy to criticize something that you are ignorant about. It is much harder to look for understanding. I would be happy to address any of you who has the guts to contact me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And btw, we live in Southern California, so there is no "winter mud" thank goodness, and you are wrong. He turns out every week and gets absolutely filthy--which he loves. And he goes out on trail as part of his full training regime 2 times per week. He goes out alone or in the company of mares. Yes it costs a lot of time and money in his maintainence, but it is a labor of love for me. I and my clients LIKE to spend money on our horses.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Ummmm, welcome to the forum... or something like that.

It is ironic you join to criticize people for criticizing you.

I personally do not see where any said it was horribly painful to pull out a chunk of mane when it was stepped on. So I miss the reason you have to bash the way others (hunter riders) keep their manes to defend how you keep yours.

You seem to have missed all the posters who commented on what a pretty horse you have.

Shrug.

My personal opinion is that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Longer is better, sure. But too long is not lots better.
Again, my opinion, I think having it that long detracts from how gorgeous it would be if it was a little shorter. It looks straggly because it gets so thin at the longest points. (This is coming from someone who frequently grows the hair on her head long enough that it is easily sat on.)

Frozen hands or not, wrapping the reins around your hands is adding quite a bit of risk and does show poor horsemanship.

Good job on keeping all that white.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I and my clients LIKE to spend money on our horses.
Just exactly what is implied by this comment? That those of us who don't lose our homes to finance our horses are somehow lesser human beings and bad owners?

FWIW, I think it's an insanely foolish thing to put yourself in the poor house for an animal. It doesn't make you look noble or self-sacrificing, it makes you look like someone who doesn't know how to budget their money.

I hadn't commented on this thread because the horse looks to be in good condition, and is obviously well taken care of. How you ride him is your business as long as he's not being abused.

I've owned Arabians for over 30 years, so understand the 'standard' that you're trying to apply to this horse. For Arabs, long manes and tails in the show ring are expected. For other breeds like Freisians, Andalusians, Marchadors, etc., the more hair the better.

I don't like to see a mane or tail so long that the horse is stepping on it, nor do I agree with keeping the hair braided/bagged constantly unless they're showing. But he's not my horse, so no harm no foul.

You didn't need to come raging on here with that huge plank on your shoulder. YouTube is public; if you don't want the public commenting on your riding, then make your videos private.

Not everyone is going to ooh and aah over everything someone posts on the interwebz, and if you're so thin skinned that you can't take an opinion or three that isn't telling you how WONDERFUL you are, then maybe you need to rethink why you're posting these videos.

No one is 'talking behind your back'. This forum is as much a public part of the 'net as YouTube. You found it easily enough, didn't you?

Instead of throwing your snooty 'tude around, had you come on here and politely explained your position, it would have gone a long way toward making you welcome here. As it is, the opinion I have of you based on your postings doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not mind positive or negative criticism of my work. I do mind mindless, uninformed, uneducated lambasting of my horse, my riding, my caregiving and my efforts when the people doing it probably ride a couch more than their horses. It never ceases to amaze me that just because people know how to pick up a hoof pick makes them feel justified to comment publicly and negatively on my work.
I have spent the last 47 years of my riding life as a hunter/jumper rider, in addition to adding Dressage and this breed in the last 12 years, and routinely pull my old jumper's mane every week. I am hardly criticizing pulling manes-- I bring up pulling to rebuff the detractors on this site who think my "poor horse" hurt himself for stepping on his mane. I probably have been pulling manes since before most of you were born.

As for wrapping the reins: Please notice that at the start of the video/ride, they were not wrapped. I had to wrap them as he was getting very strong, and the reins are unbraided--nothing for me to put my fingers in, and I couldn't feel my fingers anyway as they have gone numb. Poor horsemanship--Really? Please look at my other rides on You Tube--the horses are relaxed and happy and there are no wrapped reins. I did what I did to maintain his safety and control and that of the audience. That is prudent horsemanship.
I do not need anyone to tell me that I am "WONDERFUL". My horses tell me everyday. I am posting the videos to show my work, to advertise his stud service and to share the beauty that is this horse. I welcome inquiries about his past and progress, especially as I think it demonstrates what a generous horse he is in the face of what he has experienced.

I am not criticizing people for criticizing me--I am responding to the uninformed comments that have been posted on this site. And I know very well how to budget my money--I spend it on my horses as do my clients, and we enjoy every minute of it. We are fortunate to be in that position.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just exactly what is implied by this comment? That those of us who don't lose our homes to finance our horses are somehow lesser human beings and bad owners?

FWIW, I think it's an insanely foolish thing to put yourself in the poor house for an animal. It doesn't make you look noble or self-sacrificing, it makes you look like someone who doesn't know how to budget their money.

I hadn't commented on this thread because the horse looks to be in good condition, and is obviously well taken care of. How you ride him is your business as long as he's not being abused.

I've owned Arabians for over 30 years, so understand the 'standard' that you're trying to apply to this horse. For Arabs, long manes and tails in the show ring are expected. For other breeds like Freisians, Andalusians, Marchadors, etc., the more hair the better.

I don't like to see a mane or tail so long that the horse is stepping on it, nor do I agree with keeping the hair braided/bagged constantly unless they're showing. But he's not my horse, so no harm no foul.

You didn't need to come raging on here with that huge plank on your shoulder. YouTube is public; if you don't want the public commenting on your riding, then make your videos private.

Not everyone is going to ooh and aah over everything someone posts on the interwebz, and if you're so thin skinned that you can't take an opinion or three that isn't telling you how WONDERFUL you are, then maybe you need to rethink why you're posting these videos.

No one is 'talking behind your back'. This forum is as much a public part of the 'net as YouTube. You found it easily enough, didn't you?

Instead of throwing your snooty 'tude around, had you come on here and politely explained your position, it would have gone a long way toward making you welcome here. As it is, the opinion I have of you based on your postings doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies.
Totally agree with this.

And the above post proves the continued snooty attitude. We are not all idiots on here thank you very much, more years don't always make you smarter.

Like Speed Racer said if you don't want people commenting on your videos or your riding make them private.

I posted this video because I was totally flabbergasted by how long his mane is, I love long manes, however I think his is much too long and is not very pretty because of it, it looks thin and nasty at the bottom.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Thank you for pointing out you are sure you are better than any of us could possibly be even though you have no idea what horse experience any of us have. That does make you so much more believable. :wink:

I bring up pulling to rebuff the detractors on this site who think my "poor horse" hurt himself for stepping on his mane.
I do not know how else to say this. Maybe you just missed it in my last post. Maybe you are confusing this thread with some other thread on some other forum.

No one here said your horse hurt itself pulling out its mane.

Yes, they commented on the fact that he pulls it out. But no one said he hurts himself.

If you would like to read that into the posts and get mad about, as you have obviously done, feel free. I personally see no reason to get angry about stuff that is not there, takes way too much energy away from good things, like riding.

I admit it, I can not wrap my brain around the horse being "entirely too strong" and there being "a loop in my reins from my hands to his mouth" meaning they need to be wrapped. A loop (aka slack reins) would mean no tension on them which means there is not need to have the extra gripping ability wrapping them around your hands would give, right?

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Wow. Mylessa, no one here was rude until your post which certainly was agressive and accusatory towards us. You say we don't know you: rightly so, we don't. But neither do you know us, yet you felt free to criticize us:
when the people doing it probably ride a couch more than their horses. It never ceases to amaze me that just because people know how to pick up a hoof pick makes them feel justified to comment publicly and negatively on my work
A few posts indicate the understanding of the hard work involved in the maintenance of this beautiful animal. Odd how you took only the negative from this thread.

My own comment about having the reins wrapped around your hands, was just that: a comment. In my opinion that is extremely unsafe and as someone who suffers from a disease that causes my fingers to go numb even in the middle of summer, I still don't see how it's a good idea to wrap the reins around your hands.

The thread was just to explete about the extremely long mane on your horse. Nothing more. Why get all worked up about it? Chill and you'll be a welcome addition to the forum! The more experience we have here the better for us all to learn from.

I can't imagine selling my home to buy a horse or spending 5 hours just bathing a horse though! Way too much of an investment in time and money in my life, but it certainly indicates your dedication to the animal! Kudos to you for letting him run around and get all dirty and being able to spend the time to clean him up so others can drool over him!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts