The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold weather + HUGE bushy tail.. I'm sooo done buying products even the big refills don't last long enough for my liking.. Do any of you make your own mane and tail spray and if so what ingredients? ^>^

edit: its a point I stopped brushing because I dont want a ratty tail. I just need to brush it to clean it!

Super Moderator
I knew a man who trained horses in Florida for a friend...
He did Andalusians and horses with big flowing mane and tails...or his care created them.
He used goats milk cut with water to nourish the hair fibers, detangle and make a luster incredible seen...silky feeling too.
He used 50/50 mixture...and refrigerated it.
I was a skeptic till I saw how it worked.
He brushed manes and tails...but you would never know it cause nothing was broken or brittle.
They also did not hold dirt or filth, but shed it.
And, no the milk did not have a obnoxious scent/smell to it that I noticed.
He use to mix and bring it to my friends house and leave it in her tackroom small refrig to use when he cleaned the horse he was training.
To my knowledge it had nothing but goats milk and water, nothing else...
He had goats at home so a steady supply of milk he had to access...
馃惔...

Registered
That's interesting about the goat's milk.

What I've noticed is my mare's mane is much more shiny and luxurious since I've been feeding Omega Horseshine (a flax supplement). That's not really what the OP's asking, sorry! But my horse shines SO MUCH and I swear her mane/tail are easier to keep in beautiful condition since I've done the Horseshine (about two years I think). Even her winter coat is shiny!

Registered
I knew a man who trained horses in Florida for a friend...
He did Andalusians and horses with big flowing mane and tails...or his care created them.
He used goats milk cut with water to nourish the hair fibers, detangle and make a luster incredible seen...silky feeling too.
He used 50/50 mixture...and refrigerated it.
I was a skeptic till I saw how it worked.
He brushed manes and tails...but you would never know it cause nothing was broken or brittle.
They also did not hold dirt or filth, but shed it.
And, no the milk did not have a obnoxious scent/smell to it that I noticed.
He use to mix and bring it to my friends house and leave it in her tackroom small refrig to use when he cleaned the horse he was training.
To my knowledge it had nothing but goats milk and water, nothing else...
He had goats at home so a steady supply of milk he had to access...
馃惔...

Registered
One option is to look up the ingredients in a product you like and buy some of those ingredients to make your own.

Another is to look for a company that sells ingredients for making stuff in your country and see if they have a recipe (many of these companies provide free recipes and some have pet recipes). You could also modify a human spray in hair treatment, or search for a horse specific recipe online.

Not sure how up to date these links are, but this website has a list of different cosmetic ingredient suppliers in various countries: Cosmetic Ingredient Suppliers.

Making any sort of product for humans or animals is really easy, and most of the commercial stuff you are just paying mainly for the packaging, marketing, etc. Most products are mainly water and the cost of active ingredients is really low. I have made all our human and dog conditioners, washes, moisturizers/balms etc for years. I do have a chemistry background but I don't think you need lab experience as it is all very easy. Usually melting a water phase and an oil phase and mixing them together with an emulsifier and a preservative (required if it contains water as otherwise things go moldy; you can get organic certification approved preservatives if that is a concern). Most recipes say to use a stick blender, but if you do not have one, I use a hand-powered egg beater and it works fine (you do not need to mix it continuously; just on and off till it cools). When I make our moisturizer, it cost me about $4 to make what would cost $40 to buy as a ready-made commercial product.

Registered
I just found this recipe from The Prairie Homesteader website (everything that follows is from their website):
Homemade Horse Hair Detangler Recipe
  1. 1/2 cup water.
  2. 1/3 cup conditioner of your choice (see notes)
  3. 1/3 cup fractionated coconut oil (see notes)
  4. 5 tablespoons white distilled vinegar.
  5. 10 drops rosemary essential oil (see notes)
  6. 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil.
DIY Horse Hair Detangler Notes:
  • Any ol鈥 conditioner will work鈥揾uman, equine, or otherwise. I usually just use some of our doTERRA conditioner, as that鈥檚 what I always have on hand
  • Instead of fractionated coconut oil, you can use sweet almond oil, apricot oil, or avocado oil instead. Any oil that鈥檚 good for skin will work well here.
  • I usually aim for about 20-30 drops of essential oil in each batch of horse hair detangler I make. However, you can increase or decrease that amount, or play with different combinations of oils.
Caution: I鈥檝e noticed some horses to become extremely energized around peppermint oil, so use it with caution if your horse is high-strung. Also, never apply citrus oils to bare skin (such as around the muzzle), as they can cause photosensitivity.

Registered
I would skip the essential oils (maybe a wee bit of lavender), as horses are usually more sensitive to them than people are.

Registered
I would skip the essential oils (maybe a wee bit of lavender), as horses are usually more sensitive to them than people are.
Oh, great point! Thanks so much! I know mine likes peppermint so maybe I'll put a teensie bit of that in to make him happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts