The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mmmm, I got on a "baking" kick the other night, and decided to make Horse Treats for Nelson's Barn Buddies.

They are easy peasy!!!! All you need is:

Preheat Oven to 350

1 small/mini Muffin Tin (Mine makes 24)
3 Cups of Flour
3 Cups of Uncooked Oats (Oatmeal)
1 Cup of Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cup of Water (Add as needed)
3/4 Cup of Molasus
Bag of Roun Peppermints.

Mix all together as well as you can, not leaving any loose materials in mixing bowl. Add Water or Malusus as needed. You can make them darker if you want - your choice.

Scoop them into your Mini Muffin Tin, and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, until they are not mooshy to the touch - lol..if that's a word :D

While they are baking, take your peppermints, and a hammer, and break in 1/2 softly. Hit middle of peppermint with hammer...tap until it breaks in half.

As soon as you pull the Muffins out of the oven, quikly pace the Peppermint halves onto, so that when they cool, they cool with the peppermint, making the peppermint stuck solid inside so it doesn't fall off.

And voila:

I put mine in cute metal buckets, lined with xmassy gift paper, and wrote the names of those whom Nelson wanted to give them to *His barn buddies*

Great, cheap gift idea :D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Okay way cool!
I was thinking of doing something like that too. And of course a few picstures for some of my buddies that I have taken over the last show season.
Very good Idea and I love love love the little metal buckets! Where did you get them???
HP

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the metal buckets at a local craft store, they were on sale 1/2 off from $5.00, so I got them super cheap :)

These make great gifts!

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol i just made some and my horse loves em i'm gonna make some more for
x-mas presents for my horsey friends :) thanks for the idea!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Awesome idea. I might start cooking some up! Thanks for the recipe :)

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I assume by Molasus you mean molasses?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cannot wait to hear about everyone's homemade Peppermint Muffins!

They made a big hit at the barn :) You can also add a couple of Human Treats in the mix as well :) Candy Canes, or Christmas Hershey Kisses, or whatever you want :)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I did your recipe and my cookies came out great! Instead of using the muffin tin, I used a good pan in the shapes of gingerbread men and snowflakes. On the gingerbread men, I cut the peppermint in fourths and put two on each man like buttons. Super cute! Thanks for the recipe.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did your recipe and my cookies came out great! Instead of using the muffin tin, I used a good pan in the shapes of gingerbread men and snowflakes. On the gingerbread men, I cut the peppermint in fourths and put two on each man like buttons. Super cute! Thanks for the recipe.

OMG! I hope you got pictures! That sounds absolutely adorable!

~~~

So how did everyone's treats turn out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats a really good idea i'm going to make some horse treats for the other horses at our barn for xmas and this is the recipe i found online and i think they sound adorable!

Horsies Kisses

¾ Cup molasses
1 cup horse feed
1 cup oats or dry oatmeal
¾ cup peanut butter
Tin foil

Mix all ingredients. Roll into balls. Wrap in tin foil and shape like a Hershey’s kiss. Place in freezer overnight.

I love your recipe too I think I may make some of those to and put them in a little mini basket or bucket for the horses with the other treats i'm making. great idea! =]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts