The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Look'n good! I would be cautious with PVC...I heard it splinters? Which, of course, can be dangerous.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
That's a clever idea - light weight, portable and, judging by the size, easily stored in the back of the truck or the tack room.

With regard to splintering,I wonder under what situations that would happen - the only thing I could think of (other than accidently driving over a panel) would be if the horse made a direct hit with a well placed kick.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I am saving this picture for my hubby!!!

What sort of poles/posts did you use to stake it into the ground?

Reactions: dkb811

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Impressive! Koodos to your son for making this for you. Deff saves on purchasing one online for $500+ lol.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I really wonder if PVC would be strong enough? Seems like it'd break just from a horse leaning against it. What diameter PVC is he using?

How about doing the same thing with electrical conduit, though?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I really wonder if PVC would be strong enough? Seems like it'd break just from a horse leaning against it. ..
I think if the panel was tall enough so the horse couldn't extend his neck over it and really get his shoulders into it, it would hold. More problematic might be if the horse goes for the butt scratch.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am saving this picture for my hubby!!!

What sort of poles/posts did you use to stake it into the ground?
I will get you all the information tomorrow . Those are metal posts staked in the ground. He did not have any problems with Lighting leaning on it..he camped only one night. He said he might use a couple of t posts(with safety caps} to make it sturdier. A lady at the 2 day trail clinic that he attended took pictures of it and said she knows what her husband will be doing next weekend. LOL I believe he spent around $ 150 on it. My hubby and son can build just about anything...might not be perfect but they make an effort! I wouldn't have a barn if they hadn't of built it as we aren't rolling in dough!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think if the panel was tall enough so the horse couldn't extend his neck over it and really get his shoulders into it, it would hold. More problematic might be if the horse goes for the butt scratch.
You could also put a hot wire on it if you wanted.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Great idea! Personally, I once used portable panels and I won't do it again. I could hardly sleep at night worrying that my horse was going to get caught in the fencing if she laid down and got up the wrong way. My little paranoia! But, if I was to do the portable panels again, this would definitely be the way to go! Not as much fear of getting hurt on pvc.

I don't see how it would splinter.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
My one horse would stick his head in between and start walking off with it and just keep going until something lets go. I'd be running electric ribbon or rope around the inside with either a 12 volt charger hooked to the battery or solar.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
What I meant by"leaning on it" is that I'd think a horse could easily shove his way right through, either accidentally (as with a butt scratch), or intentionally.

But suppose you ran a thin wire rope through the top sections? I'd think that would add quite a bit of strength.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
He used 1" pvc pipe and he cut the bottom of the metal pipe at an angle to stake in the ground. The pvc pipe on the trailer side is slid into holes that he drilled in the running board. We do have electric tape and a charger but he chose not to use it. Personally, I would be more comfortable using the tape , especially with my TB mare. It has only been tested out at home and the one night stay at the clinic. We will use it again in a couple of weeks at an ACTHA ride. Here it is in his truck..thank you all for your opinions and comments.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This is a great idea! Thanks for posting.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a great idea! Thanks for posting.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are very welcome! I'm sure it can be improved some but I wanted to share in hopes it may help others that want to do something similar and to get feedback and other ideas. A big thank you to my son for coming up with this idea and putting forth the effort!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The avg schedule 200 PVC sprinkler pipe is not strong enough. When it breaks you get sharp points that could act like spears. I would never trust my horse in it. It is just too lightweight and fragile.

Schedule 40 is considerable stronger and can still be found in most sprinkler supply houses.

Schedule 80 is rare in sprinkler pipe, but is much much stronger. We usually see Schedule 80 in the grey color for underground electrical conduit. Although it is usually in the larger diameters 2" 3" and 4" not too often found in the 3/4" or 1" sizes.

You will have to evaluate if your horse will respect this type of enclosure. If they lean over to try and get a bite of grass, if the lean on it to rub or scratch, I definitely would not use the Schedule 200 or Schedule 40 pipes.

Also PVC gets brittle when left exposed to sunlight. I don't know what the life would be, but every year or two you would be replacing it because the pipe rotted in the sunlight.

It's for these reason that most of the portable corral companies build the panels out of metal or other higher impact plastics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts