The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My percheron, Ahab, needs a therapeutic walking boot for a while... maybe a longish while. His hind hooves measure 8" x 8 1/2", and the vet recommended something like a "Soft Ride." However, they don't come even close to being that big. Does anyone have any good ideas about where I can get a therapeutic everyday boot for a guy this big? Thanks... C. Evil

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Therapeutic can mean a lot of different things, what is the specific purpose? :)

When my insulin resistant horse foundered I kept Easy Care's "Boa" trail riding boots on him, every day, during turnout. They can stay on up to 12 hours.

Generally, any well made trail boot can be a "therapeutic" boot. It just has to be a secure and well fitting boot.

I had tried Cavallo trail boots on my foundered horse and their loose fit (on his hooves anyway), set him back three days worth of being sore. They had to much "slop" in them for his hooves.

He wears size 2's in the old Boa's, which aren't made anymore.

Meaning you might call Easy Care and speak with their customer service gals. Those ladies are great to do business with and knowledgeable. They will tell you how to measure your horses hooves.

"X" size in one brand of boot might be "Y" size in another brand of boot. Plus each boot manufacturer will tell you precisely where to measure the hooves for their boots:)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Diapers and duct tape work in a pinch but won't last too long outside.

What happened to him?

Don't be afraid to call meaders. They are awesome and won't try to sell you the highest price item they can. They will sell you what you need. I trust them completely.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not really sure what happened. Ahab has a chronic hoof crack that was doing really well, but spit back up, maybe an inch, this winter. Then he developed an abcess... his first ever... which was exgremely painful. It took the vet three days to get ut, and then she just wrapped it and waited for it to burst, which it did two days later, at the coronnary band.

At that point, the vet recommended a change of farrier :shock: and said Ahab should be in shoes.

My farrier came out three days ago while I was working, and when I got home, he was very lame. It looked like Ahab's sole was bulging down beyound his hoof wall. I called a different vet, had X-rays done, and she said that his sole was very thin, and that he needed his hoof wrapped with betadine for a few days, then with Iodine mix, and then she wants him in "walking" boots, like trail riding boots.

Thanks for all of your suggestions: No boots that big at Medader's; none with Soft Ride of Easy Care, none that big with Shipshewana... I found some that could be custom made for $400 dollars each...

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You can pad his soles by getting some rigid foam like they use for insulating and cutting it to shape and holding it on with duct tape. It's going to wear fast put a sheet of the stuff is 8 x4 or thereabouts so you can cut a lot of big old hoof shapes out of one sheet.

Sounds like you need a different farrier to me. How far up the coast of Maine are you? I know Rick Sharp is the go to man in this area for drafts he does wander out to the coast. I've seen his dad's work but not his. Not sure if his father is even still alive. The family knows drafts. Even if he doesn't go that far he may be able to recommend somebody or have some ideas on padding your boys feet.

Not finding my phone book right now. He does have a facebook page. Not allowed to link it directly but he's the only one of that name.
Rick Slim Danger Sharp.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Ok, given what you've just said, I am back-peddling on my Cavallo comment.

Cavallo supposedly makes boots for Drafts and they're priced a long way from $400. Give them a call.

https://www.cavallo-inc.com/

EasyCare has stopped making the Boa's BUT, they claim they made sizes big enough for small Drafts. When I bought my last set of Size 2 Boa's, they were in the "obsolete" inventory.

I would call Easy Care and ask them if they have any obsoleted Boa's for Drafts.

^^^I'll bet they didn't mention the brand new but obsoleted boots:p

I also read a review that stated Old Macs are wider in the heels than Boa's, and fit some Drafts better.

EasyCare Inc. | The Leader in Hoof Boots and Natural Hoof Care

Found this Hoofwing website --- boots just for Drafts. These may be what the store you called was talking about, as their price is in the $400 for the bigger size:-(

Sizes and Prices - Hoof Boots | Horse Hoof Boots

Until you find something or, if all else fails, SueH's foam idea will work or you can go to WalMart and buy Gold's Gym interlocking workout mats (12" x 12") pieces.

They come in 3/8" thickness and 1/2" thickness depending which is popular at your WalMarts. When my horse foundered, I managed to get 3 - 4 days out of a pair of pads cut from the mats but he only weighs 1,150 lbs and he could barely move.

Buy plenty of duct tape and buy yourself a pair of surgeon-type scissors that have a flat back for cutting tape.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It works. I had a draft with some foot issues I used it on. Always at least got a full day out of it.

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts
They be big hoofies! Is this measured immediately after a *good* trim though? Is it possible that he may be a smaller size soon, after a couple more trims? You can post some pics for us to give you a better idea of that. If you think it likely, perhaps you're better to get by with foam & lots of duct tape... or casting your own 'custom shoes' for him.

The fibreglass casting material is only meant for one app, but I've found that if you cut it off neatly down the middle of the heel then pry it off, you can easily duct tape them back on. You can pad inside them too. They last well on softer ground. They will wear out quickly on abrasive surfaces tho. My pony for eg, without a rider, on a 3hr w/t/c over light gravel had worn through rims of the toes by the end of the ride. But they're cheap to redo & you can also just put a couple more layers at the toe & such too. You can get it on Ebay cheap, if near it's 'use by' or such.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Maybe if you can still find old fashioned truck tire TUBES (tractor maybe?) you can cut a length of the tube , slip it over his wrapped foot like a sock and fasten it somehow?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone for your input and suggestions.

The deal seems to be: Hoofwings. They are the only company that I can find who makes boots that large. And I called everyone. The company who makes boots large enough for a small draft only goes up to something in the 6 x 6" range. There is a really nice farm nearby with Shires, and the owner said her horses' hooves measure something like 10 x 10. Even Hoofwings does not go up that big, so I should be really happy.

The more I read about Hoofwings, the more I like them, so... from what I can gather:

The positives:
1. Easy to put on
2. Good air circulation for extended wear time
3. Good padding and protection
4. Easy to clean
5. Long history: I think they were originally called Horse Sneakers.
6. You can get them with sparkles. :rofl:

The things I am not sure about:

1. Custom made so they take a long time to create
2. Expensive (but not as bad as I first thought..$400.00 for TWO boots)
3. You have to send them a cup of horsehair for padding, which is sort of confusing... it sounds fragile and hard to clean, and maybe a little chafey, though everyone says they are not. They also will provide the horsehair, if you want.

So... Ahab is getting boots.

Also, I have his x-rays, which I pretty much can't read. I will post them and some hoof photos hopefully tomorrow, and maybe someone will have some additional ideas about what is going on with the boy.

I really am considering sparkles. What the heck!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ahab's X-rays from the 19th...

View attachment 508770

View attachment 508778

View attachment 508786

And the exam & treatment notes..

Ahab was seen for RH lameness - he had blow out at the coronary band ~ 2 weeks ago. It was also dug out from the bottom, and he is still sore. The farrier was out yesterday.

On exam, Ahab was standing in his stall. When walked, he was comfortable in all four feet, but occasionally took an off step on the RH - he appeared to be trying to place more weight on the heels of his RH. When turned in small circles, he was most sore on the RH when being turned to the right. Digital pulses were normal.

The abscess site at the coronary band was dry and not painful to the touch. On foot exam, a lot of sole had been removed by the farrier at the toe and lateral toe region - the tissue there was soft and painful to digital palpation. Ahab was also sore on hoof tester application near these regions. Ahab also has a toe crack that has been present for many years. Captain Evil has a new farrier and they are aggressively treating it.

The white line was explored with a hoof knife; Ahab was very painful and mildly kicked; he was sedated with 100 mg of xylazine IV (great sedation!). The white line on the lateral side bled readily with one swipe of the hoof knife. Radiographs were taken of the RH foot - on the lateral view, there is mild bony proliferation on the dorsal aspect of the coffin bone (suspected due to secondarily to the toe crack), midway up. The sole is very very thin. On the DP view, the lateral side of the coffin bone is slightly lytic and irregular. On the 65 degree DP view, the lateral side of P3, the bone is slightly irregular and lytic.

The irregular regions on the coffin bone are likely due to added pressure and trauma while trying to avoid pressure on the toe.At this time, it is suspected that Ahab's pain is not due to recurrence of his foot abscess, but from very thin soles and exposed sensitive tissue on the sole. He is painful by simple pressure from a finger on these sensitive tissues.

Plan: Goal of hardening the sensitive tissue, and providing cushion support until he grows more sole (may take up to several months).

Wrap foot with betadine soaked gauze squares (place over the sensitive tissue). Change every 2 days. After about 3-4 days, change to tincture of iodine (can by in feed stores or at a pharmacy). This will harden the foot. Based on the xray evidence of very thin soles, a cushioned boot is recommended. Soft ride is one such company that makes these boots. They have instructions on their website for measuring the foot to determine which size to order. Ahab can wear these 24 hours/day. Bute: Give 2 grams by mouth 2x/day for 2 days (start tomorrow), then 3 grams once/day for 2 days, then 2 grams once/day for 2 days.

If you go to google and enter "soft ride boots", the website will come up! They are pricey, but I think they'll help. I think it's fair to give Ahab another week (to see if the betadine and tincture harden the foot), and if he gets less sore as the foot gets firmer, then you may not need the boots. As long as you can push on those soft areas with your fingers and make it hurt, it will hurt when he puts his heavy weight on it.

Ahab is much less tender on his feet now. He is not limping or taking short strides.. (well, actually, he always takes short strides, but no shorter on one side than the other), but he still hesitates before moving. So I am going to order boots, and am wondering if he has had chronically tender feet right along, and i just haven't realized it. Perhaps that is why he hates to be ridden so much. Or maybe he just hates it.

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts
******, where'd my reply go?? Short story... First, can't see current pics.

Xrays struck me as extremely thin toe sole, bit of m/l imbalance & poss slight deviations, and interested to read the report about the 'proliferation' on the dorsal wall - was going to circle that bit on the xray, to querie. Never seen that before around a chronic crack & think it's the body's way of trying to 'brace' the hoof.

If the horse has a soft spot on his sole from overzealous farrier digging(was there an abscess there as well?) and his pedal bone is so little covered, that he is sore to finger pressure, it strikes me as a 'duh' kind of thing to go on & see if he responds to 'hoof testers'. I don't understand why they would 'explore' the 'white line' with a knife, or where exactly they did it/drew blood?

Agree that it's likely lack of protection/support over tip of P3 is the biggest issue here, and that he needs padding. Possibly with relief to that specific spot though, such as a full sole pad, with a 'moonsickle' area cut out of the toe so there's no pressure directly under P3.

As for iodine for hardening, I don't generally 'do' hardeners, think growth/thickness is the biggie, but hardeners, I belive can also help. The problem, at the current time is words like 'sensitive tissue', talk about drawing blood, etc. Could well be I'm misunderstanding, but if there is an actual wound in the sole, if it's actually open to sensitive tissue, iodine & other chemical such as this, used chronically(repeatedly, not just for initial antiseptic), can damage tissue & prevent new material from generating. I've even known of horses who had permanent holes in the sole, and the only factor between these & the ones who healed seems to be heavy antiseptic use. So... if you want to use a hardener, I'd personally wait until a fair bit of new sole horn has grown over the hole first. In the meantime, Manuka honey is a great antiseptic AND wound healer!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm gonna try again to post current pictures of Ahab's hoof. Hope it works.

View attachment 509290

You can really see the periople looking weird. I think that is what the vet thought looked like a plastic filler I had added, but it is all Ahab. No filler whatsoever. this is what the farrier rasped off a year ago, and his hoof, which seemed almost to be healed, split up again. The top is where the abscess blew out, I believe.

View attachment 509298

View attachment 509314

View attachment 509322

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts
Looking a bit better. Is that penetration closing over? If so, great. If not, I'd be putting (high strength) manuka honey on it & keeping him booted until there's more sole under it. Heels need to come down, to reduce the angle of P3.

The crack is looking good, seems to be growing out OK, but it seems in the last pic of the sole, there may still be some deep infection in it that maybe needs excavating. I wonder about that crescent shape bit up the top too - not clear in pic, but it hasn't abscessed/cracked up there again has it? May need a bit of excavation to keep it free from infection if so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts