1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Thanks for posting this! A very useful report. My old farrier who used to trim and shoe a lot of endurance horses told me "Renegades or EasyBoots, don't bother with any of the others". I picked Renegades and haven't been disappointed. One point about Renegades -- they make two models of boots. The "Vipers" are rounder and fit my mare's front feet better, the "Classic" is a bit more oval and are perfect for her rears.

The only bad thing about that report is that it made me jealous.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Agree, useful report! I was jealous too until I read they rode in rain half of the days...dealing with wet stuff :frown_color:

I have often wished my back could manage trimming my own horses, but physically I just can't. Boots seem to work best for folks that can keep their horses trimmed and not be dependent on a farrier.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Very interesting! I have never tried an Easyboot glove, but I cannot get a regular Easyboot on a horse’s hoof to save my life!

I would never even try a Cavallo, because that cuff looked like it would rub (guess it does...), and I love my Renegades, but my experience has been the opposite of his....sucking mud pulls one right off most of the time.

I have gotten pretty good at reading mud paths, and can steer Lucy through my frequented mud patches. We have some doozies here at Mammoth Cave, because there are tiny springs ON the trails!

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
Thanks for posting
Its an interesting read.
I like that they covered all of the points really well but for me the number one thing with boots is that they have to be comfortable for the horse to wear and if they're chafing they aren't.
I've tried an assortment of brand variations of the boots they tested and they all chafed. Some were OK for short rides and some didn't seem to chafe horse A as much as it chafed Horse B so conformation does come into it
The Scootboots are the only boot that never rubs (so far) and I've had them on two of them in turnout when they've needed them.
The only problem I have had is that Jazzy found them to be something to amuse herself with and she could easily pull the straps off and then lose the boot
I might look at those EasyCare version @Hondo, the strap looks sturdier

They are super easy to put on and take off too - another biggie for me. I didn't find that with many of the other boots I've got stuffed into a cupboard in the tack room or given away

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.