The Horse Forum banner

Hoof boot talk

313 15
I have Easy Boot Gloves for Rusty and Harley. They work great on hard, frozen ground which is what we have in the ring right now. The only issue: they are hard to put on and even harder to get off. I pretty well threw out my back trying to get them off Rusty's hooves (good thing he is a patient horse). Any tips on making it a little easier on the old back?

Alternatively, do you have recommendations for other types of boots that have a thick, rubber sole like the Easy Boot Gloves, but are easier to put on and take off?

Not interested in shoes. I know there are shoes made of composite materials and glue-ons, but I have to beg and plead my trimmer to come out once a month as it is, there is no way I'll be able to find someone reliable and knowledgeable to come put shoes or composites on. And I can no longer trim myself due to my back problems.

Also, this is not for grip, it's so he doesn't get ouchy when the wet sand turns to concrete-like footing. Once we get a good snow covering, he'll be fine barefoot again, so this is just a temporary thing, but if I can spare my back the torture, I'd like to. Otherwise, the boots were perfect for him - well-fitted and he moved really well in them so I'd definitely like something similar, just easier to put on and take off.

Leg Gesture Asphalt Thigh Knee
Reactions: boots
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
This isn’t a glove, but I love the back country boots, they’re easy to put on and they have good padding, I was able to “customize” it and pick which thick of padding I wanted, and I could buy it anytime and I could take the padding in and out and wash it etc, my guy wore them for 7 months with no trouble, he didn’t even break it once while running and jumping and being crazy.
after taking them on and off for 7 months, my back got use to it I guess, it got to the point it took me only a minute to get it on or so, maybe less then a minute, and not too bad because it was just like picking a hoof.
Also I never saw a difference in the way he moved, I had a dealer in the area who fitted them, and gave me extra padding for him.

·
Premium Member
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn’t a glove, but I love the back country boots, they’re easy to put on and they have good padding, I was able to “customize” it and pick which thick of padding I wanted, and I could buy it anytime and I could take the padding in and out and wash it etc, my guy wore them for 7 months with no trouble, he didn’t even break it once while running and jumping and being crazy.
after taking them on and off for 7 months, my back got use to it I guess, it got to the point it took me only a minute to get it on or so, maybe less then a minute, and not too bad because it was just like picking a hoof.
Also I never saw a difference in the way he moved, I had a dealer in the area who fitted them, and gave me extra padding for him.
Oh, I just watched a video of someone putting those on - they look way easier to get on and off! I'm intrigued! And they look like they'd stay on for my purposes. Thanks!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Oh, I just watched a video of someone putting those on - they look way easier to get on and off! I'm intrigued! And they look like they'd stay on for my purposes. Thanks!
Yes! My gelding did about everything in them, and I always held my breath thinking they were gonna fall off but never did, I was so happy! I say it’s a good investment.

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
I’m an EasyCare fan, I looked at several of their boot styles and my pick for consideration is their original trail boot.

It sounds as if the closures on your Gloves are icing up and/or there’s an ice & dirt buildup in the boots, making removal difficult?

This original trail boot is light weight and easier to get on/off.

Reactions: ksbowman

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Not every boot is going to work for every horse. So sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and experiment, though that can get expensive with boots! I've posted a lot about the woes I've had with my little mare Dixie, and her founder recovery. She has been in a much patched and repaired pair of Cavallo-made Delta boots, 21/7 for the greater part of 7 months with no rubs or problems. When I first got her she had other hoof problems and spent her first four months with me in these same boots. So I am comfortable saying that these have protected her flawlessly for months on end, virtually around the clock. It probably takes me less than 30 seconds to get a boot on or off. The more common Cavallo boot equivalents would be Treks, or Simple Boots.

My experience some time back with Gloves was probably the most frustrating of my use of hoof boots, dating back to 1979!

·
Premium Member
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m an EasyCare fan, I looked at several of their boot styles and my pick for consideration is their original trail boot.

It sounds as if the closures on your Gloves are icing up and/or there’s an ice & dirt buildup in the boots, making removal difficult?

This original trail boot is light weight and easier to get on/off.

No, it's not icing up, and the velcro is easy to undo. It just fits so snug that the rubber bottom just won't come off even when I have all the velcro undone. I have the same issue when I put them on Harley. But if you don't get them to fit snug, they flop around too much. I always struggled with Harley's because his hooves change drastically within a cycle. So after a trim, the boots would flop around a bit, and a couple of weeks later, I could barely get them on (he is trimmed every 4 weeks!). His hooves flare out a lot though, Rusty's aren't as bad, but there is still a difference. I'd like to find something that can have some flexibility throughout the trim cycle, but still stay on reasonable well. Not like I'll be doing the Tevis or anything - I ride often, but not in challenging conditions.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I am looking at some joggers for my Rusty in place of shoes. I like the Cavallo boots , but there is not one recommended for my needs, as he has a rotated P3.Yes he has seen the Vet. Yes he has had xrays. The Jogger boot will be the best boot for him. The cavallo was easy on and off and seemed to fit a rounded hoof better.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
WVFarrier.. that makes a lot of sense! I do chat with the reps on the hoof boot sites and explain in detail what I need. So far the jogger boot may be the one. I am going to try the hoof boot in place of shoes, as income drops with retirement. I shall see if it will be feasible as it will be a 24/7 wear time for my horse.

·
Premium Member
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am looking at some joggers for my Rusty in place of shoes. I like the Cavallo boots , but there is not one recommended for my needs, as he has a rotated P3.Yes he has seen the Vet. Yes he has had xrays. The Jogger boot will be the best boot for him. The cavallo was easy on and off and seemed to fit a rounded hoof better.
Great tip. However, I had someone who is quite knowledgeable about these come over and heat shrink Harley's boots in a similar manner. While it means they fit his hooves well at that precise point in the cycle, it doesn't make them easier to get them off, sadly. I do think the boots I have fit him well. They're just on there so well, it's a pain to take them off. Two days later, my back still hurts from that ride. Hoping to ride again tonight and maybe I'll have better luck removing them. But also looking at other styles like Flex boots and some of the suggestions above.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Cavallos are great for this type of issue. Not great if you are doing a lot of cantering. The boot can have some play but since they fasten up around the fetlock they stay on - I use these in the pasture for my mare with thin soles. She does canter etc in them but they look a little clunky

·
Premium Member
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know several people that will only use renegades, and these are people that have tried pretty much every other boot on the market. I personally find boots a royal pain but you didn't ask for that opinion lol.
I can't disagree with that, but lucky for me, we don't need them very often. Normally we ride on sand, grass or snow. I just like to have the option of riding with boots when we ride on hard ground, but I don't think I could deal with boots on a daily basis!

·
Premium Member
10,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cavallos are great for this type of issue. Not great if you are doing a lot of cantering. The boot can have some play but since they fasten up around the fetlock they stay on - I use these in the pasture for my mare with thin soles. She does canter etc in them but they look a little clunky
I found a pair slightly used - they are being shipped tomorrow. I think it's going to be a trial-and-error kind of thing, like most things horsey. Rusty doesn't do a whole lot of cantering so it might be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts