The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I use them and love them! Right now I only use them on the fronts but I'm hoping to buy another pair for his hinds next year :) They've held up really well and are super easy to get on and off!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have a full set of four with studs. I bought them for winter and wet weather riding because my horse is barefoot and has no traction in those conditions. They are pretty awesome boots!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone share the cons of boots? I was thinking of taking my horse's front shoes off and using a boot for work.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I have a full set of four with studs. I bought them for winter and wet weather riding because my horse is barefoot and has no traction in those conditions. They are pretty awesome boots!
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you tried the studded easy boots as well? Any comparisons?

How do you find the Renegades fit the hind feet?

How is the traction? What are the iciest conditions you use them in?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Boots can take some time to adjust. Renegade and EasyBoots are probably the biggest manufacturers. Renegade boots have instructions on how to measure. Easyboot also has instructions and you can also rent a kit off their website that sends you some shells to try out fit before purchase.

Some models have parts that can break but those parts are generally replaceable.

If the horse isn't pasture sound without shoes then obviously boots won't work as they're not meant for turnout.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
320 Posts
I haven't used them on my horse personally, but a friend used them on hers. Her pair of the original renegades broke after about a month of use. She contacted the company and they sent her a new pair of the Vipers to try. She's found those ones cut open/rubbed the heels enough to cause them to bleed. At first she thought it was just her one horse who's still growing out a good hoof, but she tried them on her other horse who has great feet and the same thing happened.

We both now use Easyboot Epics. They're more of a pain to get on, but we haven't had any rubs and have only had them come off a few times in extremely muddy conditions.

Just my experiences.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
I think the major thing with any type of boot is they will have 'cons' if they don't fit properly. And different types & styles fit different feet more or less suitably. Therefore, measure well & start with the boots that fit your horse best. Including considering the 'upper' & how well that suits. Eg. Boas seem to be best for more upright, higher heeled feet. The back 'cage' of Renegades can rub the fetlock in some conformations & situations, but seems to be generally OK.

Then consider what you want them for & the horse's management. Eg. if you're going to do endurance miles, then something like the Easycare Trails aren't the best, and a 'low profile' type is best. But for pleasure riding, Trails or Old Macs may be perfect.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
She contacted the company and they sent her a new pair of the Vipers to try. She's found those ones cut open/rubbed the heels enough to cause them to bleed. At first she thought it was just her one horse who's still growing out a good hoof, but she tried them on her other horse who has great feet and the same thing happened

Rubbing happens if boots arent fitted right they dont rub if they fit right. Easyboot Epics dont hold up to hard riding i trashed a pair in 3 weeks this summer.

I know someone who uses renegades and loves them theyv had their boots for 3 years now, no problems with them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I wanted to to stop shoeing my mare all together and maintain the feet with regular trimming. She was never shod till I owned her.
All I do is dressage with big dreams of jumping in the future :wink:

We do light trail riding but nothing serious. I was hoping some brand of boot would be good to put on when I work her.

Just looking for an alternative to shoeing.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
The Renegades are good as long as your horse has a round-shaped foot. If they have oblong feet, they will twist, and that causes rubbing. They require a bit of mechanical dexterity to adjust, and luckily my DH can do it, because I could not. I also do not have the hand strength to put on regular Easyboots.

I use them most for driving out on the road. I have trouble getting them to stay on the hind feet when I do muddy trails. I would like to see a boot shaped for the hind feet.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Just got Easyboot Epics for my percheron mare, who is transitioning to barefoot after being shod for a year. So far so good! I was surprised they came in her size. I do have pads in them. I would be sure to get the pads as well to be sure the boot fits correctly.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have been transitioning one of my horses to barefoot since June (my other horse has been barefoot his whole life).

I wanted to get the Renegades but after talking to them and to others who have boot experience I decided that the renegades wouldn't be the best fit for his type of hoof. He has a very upright hoof and we are working on getting it to a more natural shape.

I ended up getting the Easyboot Glove Back Country I wrote a review on them in the tack section. Also if you go with a Easyboot product do the fit kit first- it is so worth it.

I think the biggest drawback for me is that they are really tough to get off after a hard ride but I am getting used to it. The other drawback is you need to make sure that you find a boot that is going to best for your horses foot other wise the boot wont stay on and it will be more trouble than it is worth.

Reactions: smguidotti

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Easyboot Epics dont hold up to hard riding i trashed a pair in 3 weeks this summer.
IME they do 'hold up' very well generally. I know of many egs where they're very 'well used', including by heavy duty(miles as well as terrain-wise) trail riders & endurance riders, and are indeed strong boots that stand up to a lot. I think they're about the best in this regard.

**Not speaking from personal experience with Renegades, just what I've heard from those who have used them, but the shell is apparently made more plasticy than the Easycare rubber ones & the tread wears off relatively quickly on abrasive surfaces, leaving a slick base.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
IME they do 'hold up' very well generally. I know of many egs where they're very 'well used', including by heavy duty(miles as well as terrain-wise) trail riders & endurance riders, and are indeed strong boots that stand up to a lot. I think they're about the best in this regard.
I can actually believe it is possible to trash Easyboot Epics in 3 weeks. I have had some Easyboots that I wonder if they changed the recipe of the plastic or something....like a few hard rides and I have small chunks missing from boots. Some will wear for years and years and years, and some have chunks missing after a few rides......chunks that go all the way through the toe of the boot. Either the trails were exceptionally horrible or the plastic on those particular boots was softer for some reason.

I also had some Epics this past summer that both buckles broke in like 2 rides in the rocks. I DO ride in a lot of rocks in the summer. But hey, that's what the boots are for, right?

Because the boots were brand new and Easycare has great customer service they replaced the buckles for me. I think it was a design flaw of a newer buckle design because once those were replaced I haven't had an issue with those boots since.

I would really love to try Renegades because of the easy-on, easy-off design. My horses have more round feed and it can be like hell trying to get boots on and off most of the time. (And if I go up a size they are too big, go figure!) So I actually have to rasp the sides of my horse's feet pretty regularly to keep them fitting in Epics.

One of these days I will try the Renegades or the Vipers. Is the plastic on the Vipers tougher than that of the Renegades? It seems like I might have heard that somewhere but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have been using Easyboots on one of our horses for the last six months or so. We got the Epics and they have worked out great. We bought them all used to keep the cost down and since we don't do any hard riding them have been perfect.

I was originally looking into Renegades but a friend that sells them actually steered me away from them. She said that to get the best performance from them you have to trim about every two weeks. I wasn't about to do that so I went for the Easyboots. We trim every 8-10 weeks with them and it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I have been using Easyboots on one of our horses for the last six months or so. We got the Epics and they have worked out great. We bought them all used to keep the cost down and since we don't do any hard riding them have been perfect.

I was originally looking into Renegades but a friend that sells them actually steered me away from them. She said that to get the best performance from them you have to trim about every two weeks. I wasn't about to do that so I went for the Easyboots. We trim every 8-10 weeks with them and it isn't a problem.
That's interesting because I usually have to rasp all the time with Easyboots to keep them fitting. Sigh! I like using hoof boots but none it seems are the "perfect" boot.

And your right, in general they hold up great. It just seems like some wear out from the get-go, and if you survive that first few rides they are immortal after that. :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.