The Horse Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
I have had some Easyboots that I wonder if they changed the recipe of the plastic or something....like a few hard rides and I have small chunks missing from boots.
Did you ask them about that?? Sounds like a definite fault to me, not common at all IME.

Re Renegade fit, yes, due to the 2 piece type design, they can be better for wider feet(now that original OM's gone, not much choices for that). Re 'easy on-off', have you considered taking the heel straps out of the Epics??:wink:

I was originally looking into Renegades but a friend that sells them actually steered me away from them. She said that to get the best performance from them you have to trim about every two weeks. I wasn't about to do that so I went for the Easyboots. We trim every 8-10 weeks with them and it isn't a problem.
I think the key to the above is 'best performance' & any boot is best fit pretty firmly. Most boots have some leeway that allow for a few or more week's growth though. 8-10 weeks is a long time between trims & I expect they are pretty loose when the horse is freshly trimmed if they still fit that long after.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Did you ask them about that?? Sounds like a definite fault to me, not common at all IME.

Re Renegade fit, yes, due to the 2 piece type design, they can be better for wider feet(now that original OM's gone, not much choices for that). Re 'easy on-off', have you considered taking the heel straps out of the Epics??:wink:

I think the key to the above is 'best performance' & any boot is best fit pretty firmly. Most boots have some leeway that allow for a few or more week's growth though. 8-10 weeks is a long time between trims & I expect they are pretty loose when the horse is freshly trimmed if they still fit that long after.
I cut the heel strap out of my Easyboot Epics. I just pop the toe into the boot and have my horse slowly put her foot down, while I hold onto the gaiter and it pops right on!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
How much you need to rasp will depend on when you measured. If your horse is freshly trimmed and you buy boots off those measurements it's going to require more maintanence than if you measure mid cycle.

Since I only use my boots in the rain and snow, I went with a fresh trim. My farrier taught me how to trim my horse myself (and even gave me a rasp!) so I can touch him up when I need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
I had to trim my horses every week a little bit to keep the epics fitting right. I got another pair this fall same thing trashed in 3 weeks. Plus the buckle for closing them broke 2 diffrent times had to replace it twice.

I wont buy epics again heck id be better off shoeing the horses at least those last 4 weeks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I guess what I have gathered from everyone's greatly appreciated comments is that any brand has the potential to work well, however, depending upon the shape of the horse's hoof one brand may be better suited?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
also if I can take a good picture of my mare;s feet will someone be able to judge what kind of feet she has?

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
I cut the heel strap out of my Easyboot Epics. I just pop the toe into the boot and have my horse slowly put her foot down, while I hold onto the gaiter and it pops right on!
Ditto:wink: I didn't cut it out, but unscrewed it completely, so the side 'tapers' aren't there either. I don't advise other people to do that, as Easycare don't advise it... but I tell them that's what I did & it works for me.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Ditto:wink: I didn't cut it out, but unscrewed it completely, so the side 'tapers' aren't there either. I don't advise other people to do that, as Easycare don't advise it... but I tell them that's what I did & it works for me.
I think Pete Ramey does that too.....I am actually looking into it. I bought some washers and stuff from the hardware store to see if I can get it to work. I may try and construe it this weekend on the broken one and see what I get. But yes, wouldn't recommend it for the average person. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love my Renegades. The gloves look great but MUST fit really well while the Renegades allow a little flexibility in fit. I couldn't get the gloves to work for me. Remember, horses feet grow in between trims.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have some renegades but I have only used them around 5 times and almost every time they came off on at least one foot. Particularly the hind ones as they aren't as round as the front feet. They stayed on riding through the river which I brought them for but would always come off riding back through the paddock. I found them to be a bit of a hassle getting on and off, and like someone else said they seem really 'plastic-y and not sure how long they would last. At some stage I will get some boots for my younger gelding who has much smaller and rounder feet but I will try a different brand. I don't really like the ones with the wires like renegades, not sure why though.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
No boot is a one size fits all situation just like a saddle. I have used them all just about and they all have certain benefits and drawbacks. My personal favorite is renegades. Easyboots pop off my gaited horses very easily as a rule. The exception is a size 2 Edge or epic on my mare. They fit her perfectly and will stay on even without any straps done up. BUT the gloves? Pop off at the canter every time even with a power strap. Renegades work well on her. my other gelding renegades will spin on due to his weird front end movement and round hoof shape. he went best in Boas but they rub the sides of his pasterns raw even with gaiters if I ride over a few miles in a day or weekend. Now with sidebone, they hurt him to wear period so I went to Ground Control Shoes instead. Pros and cons.

It really depends on the horses hoof shape and how it moves as well as where and what you ride on. This is why I buy used boots to start with on a new horse till i figure out what works for that horse. Used boots hold value so long as you dont trash them.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I'm on my second set of Renegades...I've wore out a pair of Easy boot Epics and a pair of Renegades.....with over 500 miles on each pair...most of it in the East Tennessee/North Georgia mountains......I say they're wore out but I could get a few more miles out of each I suppose....

Both are very good boots and there are things I like about both and things I don't like about both.

The renegades stay on better. I've never lost one. I've had the Easy Boots come off twice, both times at a gallop...the second time I tore the gaiter. Don't gallop and this isn't an issue as both stay put even in mud bogs provided they fit correctly.

The cables on the Easy boot epic are easier to replace, and cable can be bought at the hardware store. Renegade cables have to come from the company.

Renegades go on much easier and are easier to clean.

The easy boot epic doesn't require cable adjustment as the positioning of the cable, or, the "lace up", allows for the adjustment.

The Renegade requires a small allen wrench to adjust the cables. That said, once I got the adjustment correct I don't really need to adjust them.

Renegades come in a variety of colors and if you ask, they don't have to be the same color...or rather...you can have black fronts and orange heals etc....Easyboots are like a model t ford....you can have any color you want as long as it's black.

Haven't been able to get any Vipers so I can't comment on them....

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Thanks for the reminder! I have never done this so I didn't even think to try it, although I have heard of people doing it now that you mention it.

My mare's feet are just a bit too wide for her Easyboot Epics, size 2. But if I go up to a size 3 they are too big, go figure! So I will have to try removing the inside back strap on an old pair and see how it works. If it would help them go on easier I would be very happy! I really like the Epics other than trying to get them on her feet.

As it is I have to shape her feet to fit the boot, but if the boot could loosen up just a little, I would have to do less rasping just to make them go on. :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts