The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I would post about hoof boots, but they "fixed" our trails with gravel in places and it isn't fun. Her hooves measure 113 mm wide and 121 mm long. Problem is her hoofs are not evenly round or oval due to conformation, her hoof grows to compensate. So I need to a hoof boot that is more forgiving in the width by a few mm.

I can only get easyboot trails, easyboot, epics, old mac g2, cavallos, mostly because they are readily available. And strongly prefer not to import from the states and get hit with duties.

Also does she need backs and fronts?Or fronts should be okay, or let her tell me?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,253 Posts
Hi Cruiser,

Yeah, I hate it when they 'fix' roads & trails like this!

I don't think, if feet are all that size(none different?), that you should have a problem with fit really. Out of those options, I'd go the Epics, or maybe Macs. Trails are good too, if velcro-only fastening is suitable in the terrain you ride. The Cavellos are a 'budget boot' similar to Trails, that may be ok but IME don't stand up to much and There are also the brand new Easyboot Transitions - can't speak personally of those tho. High profile types tend to be more 'forgiving' fit-wise. Don't know if Renegades are an option to you there, given your comment about importing - I expect there may well be a Canadian distributor tho.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I like Easyboot Epics. I would like to try some others (like Renegades) but haven't done it yet. But I've tried Old Macs (older generation) and some other Easyboot variations and I still come back to the Epics. Because of the cable system, they are pretty forgiving, fit wise.

I only boot the fronts on my horses. I guess it depends how sensitive your horse is, but if he's been going barefoot successfully and just now needs boots due to the gravel, I am guessing he's like mine and only needs front boots. :)

Sometimes I just let their feet grow out a bit and I can ride them completely barefoot even over rocks and gravel. But if I keep their feet trimmed short I usually end up in front boots.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was mad when I seen they put down more gravel, lucky the atvs throw the worst of it to the sides so you can ride in the tracks. But it's even uncomfortable to bike or walk on because it's not stable/solid. It use to be hard pack dirt, fine gravel or sand and was fairly nice to ride on.

Last I looked there is no Renegade suppliers in Canada, and at 30% to 40% duties it adds a lot to the price.

She's been fine on the trails until now and the fact she got loose and did laps on our drive way, which has big rocks. So she's a little bruised at the moment. Sounds like try front first than if she needs backs I'll look into what fits her back.

Both front are pretty much the same, both toe out and measure the same, maybe a mm off at the most.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I just got Mac G2s for my Percheron, Ahab, and so far go good. This is only his third day in them but measuring and ordering was pretty straightforward, and they are really easy to put on and off. They came with "gaiters" which are neoprene? (I think) anti-chafe protectors, and those I have not been able to figure out. The boots fit very well without them, even possibly roomily, but don't seem to fit with them on.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the most affordable and closest match to her hoofs is the Old Mac g2, so they maybe what I get. I might wait until early spring as she needs a new winter blanket (I own a wimpy hardkeeper pony), that will have to take priority. So any reviews on those would be great.

The easyboots, most of them don't even come close, a lot more oval that her feet. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Here is Ahab in his new chucks...

View attachment 516946

Two vet visits, X-rays, $500.00 boots... a $700.00 vet bill for the two Newfies (shots, hot spot, one sore eye). I am trying to talk my husband into a second horse, but for some reason, it is not going well.

So far the Mac G2s are not chafing at all. Ahab wears them all day, but I remove them at night, even though the vet wants them on 24/7. When he wears them, his stride is longer and more even, and he really does seem more comfortable. they are very easy to put on and off.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would mainly be using 2 hours max on walk/trot trail rides. He looks good in his shoes, a little girl here seen his picture and asked why he was wearing running shoes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay don't listen to me, but she falls well into size 3 easyboot and old mac, and size 0 trail and epic. I am not like the cables, and I've seen the easyboots, not that big of fan. So it's going to be a matter of researching what will work for us.

Between Trail and old mac. We are not on tough trailers mostly flat and dry, but there is a few exceptions.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Cavallo's are epic. I bought some a few years ago for my mare, and she wore them on every ride we went on before she was retired earlier this summer. Now thy belong to my gelding and fit him really well, too, even though his hoof is larger than my mares.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I live in canada, and ordered renegades (shipping wasn't too bad). For my gelding who only needs to wear them several times a year when the pasture has been wet for some time--not at all, luckily, this year! I will swear up and down by these. The customer service is great, they helped with sizing and questions... They fit like a glove, and I have used them through creeks, sand, and clay mud without an issue--and they NEVER rub. We have used 5th emt at speed, and on all grades. I bought mine in the loud orange, just in case--they would be easier to find. Now I wish I bought something a little more conservative, as I have never had to go looking for them. Mine are now 4 years old and still look brand new (because I have probably only used them 40 times or so when needed) but I love them and the confidence that my horse doesn't need to be ouchy. I tie them to the saddle if I know we will be hitting some hard ground. They have left me with the freedom of keeping my boy barefoot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.