The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof critique - fresh trim. Let rip!

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  loosie 
#1 ·
Title - let me know anything you see or photos that need improvement. I thought I did a good job then got home and reviewed them :oops: Hope its enough!

Quick recap - been without any shoes for 6 months. Amazingly sound and nice growth now going from spring into summer. Had seriously bad case of thrush over winter but managed to stay on stop of it with salt soaks, stuffing kitchen roll, standing on a towel on a platform to try dry (even in the rain) + thrush buster. I didn't have muzzle so totally unprepared for lush spring.. but she is muzzled now but she'll lose weight anyway as our field begins to die in the coming heatwaves. Touch wood coz had no footsy issues, heat or pulse or anything except the squits. Prepared for next one that's for sure!

Vertebrate Wood Mammal Grass Plant
Horse Sky Cloud Working animal Liver

Front LEFT:

Leg Plant Sky Tree People in nature

Plant Sculpture Sky Working animal Wood
Fawn Grass Grass family Terrestrial animal Soil
Ecoregion Organism Grass Grass family Wood
Plant Grass Groundcover Wood Grass family

See less See more
#5 ·
You did a nice job. It looks like you tend to leave the inside heel just a little higher than the outside one. Probably this is because of the optical illusion that can happen when you pick up the hoof and it tends to tilt a little rather than sit flat in your hand. Or sometimes it is because of the way a person uses the file with their dominant hand. They're only higher by a tiny bit. I've read this is very common with even experienced farriers, and one farrier journal I read theorized that many horses have sacroiliac pain from having the inside heels chronically left higher than the outside ones.

#6 ·
I wish I could take credit but this is a very experienced and reputable army farrier. Travels a few hours one way to do us all on one day. I want to begin doing some rasping myself though. It really interesting you say that because last yard was when I first noticed she badly wore down the insides of her shoes - within about 3 weeks. Assuming you meant this literally and not just the one side :P The vet and vet physio thought it contributed to the on and off lameness (plus small stables) and sacroiliac pain (vet physio). But since living out 24/7 and barefoot she moves so much better. It was noticed by this current farrier but he never said nor did I even notice a difference in regards to his rasp. When I look at these pictures I feel blind, coz overall they look the best I've seen them. I just don't want to miss anything major that might affect her long term :<

#8 ·
Keep this farrier! Big hoof changes coming in the next 6 months or so. Good changes.

Reactions: Kalraii
#9 ·
You have a keeper Kalraii....
He did a nice job.
For me, only things I would ask for a tweaking to is she has small flaps of her frog I would wish removed so they not tear off or hold in filth/debris that could irritate and create a sore spot leading to a problem.
She also has those small flaps of excess skin on the heels of her one hoof I would ask if advisable to remove for the reasons just mentioned...
I ask questions of my professionals and listen to their answers for guidance in how to proceed and why...

Otherwise, she looks good to me with the advance anticipation known of how she wears her foot the farrier noted and compensated for to keep her most comfortable is commendable and very alert/aware by him.
🐴.... jmo...

#10 ·
Thank you guys its nice to have your input and know we're on the right path. He's quite a salt of the earth type farrier - says he likes the hoof to do as much of its own wear as possible. When we had thrush he did help clean it up. Will keep an eye on it in case he gets complacent ;) It's a relief after going barefoot that it's working out phew!

#13 ·
I'd give my left pinky for a trim like that.
The saying I know is 'I'd give my right arm for a job like that' so... only giving your left pinky... is that a compliment or...?? :lol:

Kalraii, sorry, I was sure I'd commented previously on your thread. But now others have already commented, nothing more to add. I agree it's a good job & only couple minor 'tweaks' I might do differently - happy for you that you've found a decent bloke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.