The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would make the next appt. with the farrier before he/she leaves and save the funds by that time. The cost of the trim divided by a 6 week interval = $$$$ you need to save/week. If you can work at it this way, it's not so daunting. You'd avoid the phone tag as well.
The heels on this pic have only been brought down halfway and is a trim for this hoof now, not for when it has "arrived"
Other than the discomfort of overgrowth, this is a nice hoof underneath!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I second the idea of doing a bit of maintenance with the rasp between trims. Her feet look basically nice and balanced, they just need to be kept shorter. I suspect your farrier is leaving too much on the heels though, because they are way longer than the toes in the photos.

The important thing if you decide to rasp her feet yourself between trims is to not leave it too long. If you wait until her hooves are like in the photo, there's SO much wall to rasp that you'd take forever, and rasping a hoof is hard work. Little and often is the key. And if you have time for it and get good with the rasp, you can leave a bit longer between farrier visits and save some cash.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
23,198 Posts
Hi, need better pix for detail. With fresh trim pix not overgrown heels & bars, stretched toes & she needs that seedy toe/WLD cut out properly. See Home to learn more about hoof balance.

It's possible there are also systemic/metabolic issues affecting her feet, but the flaring could be purely mechanical. If she gets bruised soles, hoof boots are generally a good option.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would make the next appt. with the farrier before he/she leaves and save the funds by that time. The cost of the trim divided by a 6 week interval = $$$$ you need to save/week. If you can work at it this way, it's not so daunting. You'd avoid the phone tag as well.
The heels on this pic have only been brought down halfway and is a trim for this hoof now, not for when it has "arrived"
Other than the discomfort of overgrowth, this is a nice hoof underneath!
Very nice to see you over here, missyclare! The boards are not quite so dead here vs. "there."

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Very nice to see you over here, missyclare! The boards are not quite so dead here vs. "there."
So, here is where the two of you hang out!
Actually, have seen a few familar' faces' here. Yes, over 'there' has been rather dead, except for the debate board!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey guys. I mostly lurk to learn. I don't like to butt in on others territories that much....I remain respectful. (though I'd bet my bottom dollar that we all are in agreement on all things hoof anyway)

Hi Loosie, been awhile, hope all is well.

First and foremost: Huntera, why did you post that picture? Please explain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Huntura do you have a question or comment to accompany your photo? uuugly foot for sure but what is the story behind it?
I wanted to know what is going on good bad ugly or what happened my self... I have no clue about hooves and I have a horse and that is one of the hooves. Untouched two year old

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I wanted to know what is going on good bad ugly or what happened my self... I have no clue about hooves and I have a horse and that is one of the hooves. Untouched two year old
well obviously the farrier is working on it in that photo so she is not "untouched" by the time the pictures was taken. What did the hooves look like BEFORE the farrier started rasping? It is so unusual to see exposed laminae all around a foot like that if it had nit been badly foundered. That is why a lot more history/information/'before' pictures are needed.

·
Super Moderator
23,198 Posts
The lumpy rings, the flaring all the way around also make me think laminitis possible, but if the horse was living in a 'seedy' environment & hasn't had her feet touched in 2 years, then it could be due to that combo allowing the flared walls to become infected all round.

Looks like a few serious trims to be had, treatment of seedy, dry environment and attention to diet & nutrition. Esp as she's only 2yo, with good management, I think she'll be well on the way to good feet... altho of course, with so little info, one pic, that is a bit of a guess.

Why not start a thread & post some more pics & info Huntera?? Check out links in signature line below if you don't know what's needed for hoof critique pix.

Just thought of a think. I see infection all round like this, without thin sole/rotation - if that's how you classify 'founder', in draft or heavy type horses. Extra weight on overgrown walls...? It has been uncommon IME too, without other signs of laminitis - even with - but thinking about it, not sure I've seen it in anything but heavies...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.