The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since no one person's word should be regarded as law... Who else would you consider a "hoof guru" besides Pete Ramey and Gene Ovnicek (ELPO) and why? I have read a lot of their (free) articles. Some differences. Some similarities. But I'd like to e x p a n d.

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
My therapeutic farrier interned under Ric Redden when she first graduated out of farrier school.

Then there’s Dr. Stephen O’Grady.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
22,838 Posts
Dr Robert Bowker. He has studied hooves & their function at a biological level. He is a neuroscientist too, and it's amazing how much that relates to hooves too!

Andrew Bowe is a Master Farrier over here & runs a rehab centre, teaches people, including being one of the chief lecturers of the EPT course, and has published a LOT of educational articles. He's also written a book 'The Pony That Did Not Die' which I consider a must have for people with laminitic or at-risk-of horses, and a plurry good read even if you're not an owner of said pony. His site, which is a wealth of knowledge is barehoofcare.com

·
Super Moderator
22,838 Posts
Yes, it is, but she doesn’t use his corrective shoes on my horse, lollollol.
Hmm, just went & had a look at said products... Among them, you can buy a necklace with a rocker rail shoe... who would do that?? Esp for $100?? Gotta be a special kind of 'fan' for that one!

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Hmm, just went & had a look at said products... Among them, you can buy a necklace with a rocker rail shoe... who would do that?? Esp for $100?? Gotta be a special kind of 'fan' for that one!
I think he’s become too big for his marketing britches, lollol

However, somebody with more money than brains who wants to impress their trainer, at a big money barn, probably would buy that necklace:shock:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If you're just talking about who have a lot of followers versus whether the techniques are sound...
Strasser was a big one. Also you have to include Jaime Jackson as someone big in the natural hoof movement.
Cheryl Henderson of ABC hoof care has been around a long time.
Not sure if the Rockley Farm blog is still updated but it's a good one..
To be clear, I consider Jackson and Rockley Farm to have good advice out of those I mentioned.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ida Hammer, Daisy Bicking. I really don't know anything about Ida Hammer, other than she commands tremendous respect in the hoof rehab groups. Daisy Alexis Bicking is someone I've been following recently and she seems gifted to me. I followed Ramey closely for a time, but got "stuck" until I investigated Ovnicek who really advanced progress with my mare's long toe problems, then Daisy unraveled a mystery with underrun heels. I'm currently trying to apply her "heel slippering" technique to get my mare's heels to uncurl. I follow her on Patreon, and have strongly considered taking her course. I believe Daisy is aligned with ELPO. David Landreville is another person that has a large following, though I'm also not real familiar with him. I am not a barefoot trimmer, except my two personal horses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts