The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/ATTACH] Jaw Tooth I got this horse a couple of weeks ago and when I bought her she was shod. My farrier came out a couple of days ago to pull her shoes off and said she has white line disease. I wanted to post pictures of her back hooves and get your opinions. I'm very new to horses and the problems they encounter. Please give me any and all advice!!

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
If that's white line dease it needs to be cut out and treated dailey. Your farrier should be able to cut out the deased hoof wall. That does look like white line dease don't want to put off getting taken care of.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Hi & welcome!

That is a messy, flared & stretched looking foot for a start. This is immediately after the farrier removed the shoe & before he trimmed I assume? Be interested to see the 'after' shots. I'm guessing it would probably have come up not too badly after a good trim, but can't tell much from just that pic alone. WLD can also be insidious & you don't know for sure how far it's gone until you 'go exploring'. If you would like a hoof critique, you need to provide a range of photos. See the link in my signature below for what is required. Some info on diet, management, etc is also helpful.

If the farrier said horse has 'WLD'(aka Seedy Toe), especially with all that excess stretched wall material, I hope he trimmed it 'assertively' and cleaned out the diseased wall material as needed, or, if it was his first visit to the horse & depending on what he found, he may have trimmed minimally for now but arranged to come do a proper trim & deal with seedy very soon? You can/should treat it topically as well, but it generally needs more than just topical.

See the other link in my signature, to the thread with some 'further reading' as I believe it's vital for owners to educate themselves about hooves & soundness, so that, among other reasons, they can understand the factors that affect function.

·
Registered
33 Posts
looks like white line to me. My old horse had it, it's treatable but better to treat it now and keep tabs on the hooves after to ensure it doesn't come back

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi & welcome!

That is a messy, flared & stretched looking foot for a start. This is immediately after the farrier removed the shoe & before he trimmed I assume? Be interested to see the 'after' shots. I'm guessing it would probably have come up not too badly after a good trim, but can't tell much from just that pic alone. WLD can also be insidious & you don't know for sure how far it's gone until you 'go exploring'. If you would like a hoof critique, you need to provide a range of photos. See the link in my signature below for what is required. Some info on diet, management, etc is also helpful.

If the farrier said horse has 'WLD'(aka Seedy Toe), especially with all that excess stretched wall material, I hope he trimmed it 'assertively' and cleaned out the diseased wall material as needed, or, if it was his first visit to the horse & depending on what he found, he may have trimmed minimally for now but arranged to come do a proper trim & deal with seedy very soon? You can/should treat it topically as well, but it generally needs more than just topical.

See the other link in my signature, to the thread with some 'further reading' as I believe it's vital for owners to educate themselves about hooves & soundness, so that, among other reasons, they can understand the factors that affect function.

I agree competely. The hoof is streched and out of wack due to improper Farrier work/care before you (the OP) had received the horse. With proper care this can be remedied. I have seen disasterous things with WLD but I have also seen remarkable healing results too. The earlier it is caught and the more persistant one is with treatment the quicker the healing process. In mild cases (which I cant realy tell if the hoof is in a mild case or not with the excessiv material in there) a good Farrier might be able to cut out all of the dead tissue and eradicate it in a couple of trims. In tougher more severe cases several trims and even complete resectioning might have to occur to deal with the problem (what you cant see is what can be the most insidious of the disease.). Can we see more pictures of the hooves after the Farrier has trimmed them?

Reactions: loosie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.