The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my horse has lighter hooves, and it is dry outside, so i started using hoof oil everytime after i ride. I pick out his hooves and clean the dirt of the front of them, then i put hoof oil onto the bottom of his hooves and on outside. so, i have 2 questions converning hoof oil -- does hoof oil have any affects on shoes? Kai ( my horse) has shoes on both his front hooves so i don't want to be putting hoof oil on them if it does something to the shoes. Also, is it possible to put too much hoof oil on your horses hooves?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
My understanding is that most hoof oils that are *supposed* to keep hooves from drying out actually make them dryer. I've heard the best reviews from tons of people [horse owners, farriers, and vets] about using straight Turpentine.

I would just pay very close attention to their feet to see if the hoof oil your using is actually beneficial or not. If you're only putting it on after you ride, I imagine that's only once a day, and that's fine. I've also never heard of hoof oil affecting shod horses any differently.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I dont use oil, just because everything stick to it. Its just a topical so it isnt really even doing to much to help the hoof. If you are that concerned try flax seed or a hoof supplement.

I will on horse with icky feet, use a supplement AND use corona. But I dont just brush it on, I rub the stuff till the hoof wall has absorbed it. Its a paste, and its very hard to get off hands, I usually use gloves or mouth wash to get it off.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I dont use oil, just because everything stick to it. Its just a topical so it isnt really even doing to much to help the hoof. If you are that concerned try flax seed or a hoof supplement.

I will on horse with icky feet, use a supplement AND use corona. But I dont just brush it on, I rub the stuff till the hoof wall has absorbed it. Its a paste, and its very hard to get off hands, I usually use gloves or mouth wash to get it off.
Corona? As in the beer? Or am I missing something? o_O Lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use hoof oil daily after I ride right before i put my horse away. When i take her out the next day or so.. they are sparkly! I dont put it on the inside of her hoof though... only the outsides. And she has shoes and you can still put oil on the tops of your horses hoofs, ive never heard anyone putting it on the inside of their hooves though...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Biotin. My paint had awful feet, we fed him Farrier's Secret first... It never helped and you had to feed too much of it. Then we switched to a cheaper brand called Vita-Biotin Crumbles. It's pretty much JUST biotin, and I saw a change in his feet within 1 month.

Three years later, he's off the supplement now that his previously malnourished foot has been replaced with a properly fed foot, and he's also barefoot with great feet.

It also made his tail grow super fast, which he needed because it was puny 8\

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I would supplement if you want real results... I don't really think hoof oils are that great IMO, but supplementing with a high biotin supplement will definitely help, though it takes a while still to see it since the hoof has to grow out...

Hoof oil can actually dry hooves out more than anything, since it is water repellent, if they are already dry, it prevents more water from entering the walls. Just hosing them for a few minutes every day or even making a mud patch with clean(no poo or pee) dirt will help to moisturize them. If they are brittle and flaky I would go with a supplement and maybe a cream like corona or some hoof conditioner instead of an oil.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If your going to use a hoof oil or conditioner i will recomend mane an tail hoofmaker...its more of a paste but you can just brush it on. it actually works very well and doesnt make the problem worse like so many over oils.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Corona ointment and hoof conditioner- its mostly lanolin (sp?)

Although I think my mare is named after the beer lol. Lacy's Corona. The breeder's last name was Lacy. hehe.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I use hooflex ointment on the heel and coronet, works well and stays for a long time. If your horse has bad hooves, avoid any kind of sugary products like sweet feed or molasses, it's very bad for hooves.

·
Registered
179 Posts
HOOFLEX and RAINMAKER are great products. I can really notice a differance as far healthy hoofs when these products are used. I personally like RAINMAKER for bad hoofs apply it 2 or 3 times a week for a few weeks then you can go to 1 time a week.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Ricci is on Horseshoer's Secret, has been for about a year and a half now. You have to stick with stuff like that, it takes a long time for the hoof to grow from the coronet band to the ground, so you can't try it for a week and decide it doesn't work, because it will with time. I've been able to start riding her barefoot on the back trails for the first time. Her feet are getting beautiful, they aren't chipping or cracking like they used to, and she's no where near as tender. Of course, a little bit of that is good farrier work too. =]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I use a hoof oil called rain maker and i think that it seems to help my horses hooves. She has relatively good feet already so idk how much help it is doing but I seem to see a difference. I only put it on if it is dry outside or if her feet look dry. When it is humid or just rained usually their hooves are pretty moist already so hoof oil isnt really needed. As for horses with shoes, they need hoof oil as much as horses without shoes. My sisters horse was having some issues with his shoe falling off. The farrier told her not to put hoof oil on his nails because it will make his foot softer. That was in the summer tho when their feet are already softer and growing fast. I put hoof oil on my horses shoe nails though and she doesn't have a problem. Putting the oil on the top of their hooves I think does more good because the top part is acctually alive. The rest is just like your finger nail. Also putting it on the inside of the for is good for them and again the frog is the alive part so it is good to put the oil on that. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I use (funnily enough) "Worlds best hoof oil" and it really lives up to its name.
two of my girls had a huge crack in one hoof so i put that on and it actually works really fast i was honestly suprised. and laasanna, arabian mare, white hooves, they are awful and she managed to take a big chunk out of one hoof god only knows how, but the hoof oil, applied daily worked wonders, and it leaves the hooves shiny to lol.

this stuff:
World's Best Hoof Oil 500ml for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
and that advertising is not exagerated either it actually does work that well from my own experience.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I use hooflex for my horse. I wash the feet off and clean them,make sure they are dry and brush on the ointment stuff. I also sometimes use a hoof conditioner and she ends up having sparkly hooves! and smells like coconuts :D

I see no bad side effects .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts