The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What supplements do you recommend for rebuilding the hoof wall? We had the farrier out this week. My Mother in Law's new horse is a beautiful walker but the people that had her before us didn't treat her hooves well. The farrier recommended dry lot for her for a few months, keep her away from moisture around her hooves. He shod her front hooves but her back hooves were too thin for him to do. He said that her hoof wall was too thin. He recommended a few things, the only one I remember off hand is farriers choice and vita-hoof.

She won't be ridden until this is straightened out. I will have some photos of her hooves this weekend.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Biotin, the more the better is always what I've been told for hooves. Farriers Magic or Farriers Formula or something is real high in biotin but it's a powder which some horses don't like.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
Especially as she won't be ridden anyway, so there's no need for palliatives, I'd get the shoes off, at least until her feet are in a better state, as peripherally loading already compromised walls is not helpful.

Along with good, well balanced nutrition(check out feedxl.com) if your farrier advised a 'dry lot' I imagine he thinks part of the problem is due to wet footing, which horses don't cope well with, &/or diet/overweight/LGL. So I'd look carefully into diet - safergrass.org & ecirhorse.com are 2 good online resources, and also treat her for 'white line disease'(which is also difficult/impossible to do effectively with shoes).

Frequent good trimming will also be an important factor, to keep her feet maintained and balanced. If you would like a critique on hoof form or specifics of trimming for her, post some pics - see link in signature for picture tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts