The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Horizontal crack HELP!

Hey guys u horse has a horizontal crack on his front right huff. It used to be small and growing down the way it was supposed to but now it has me worried. The crack is from the left to the middle. It has grown all the way down to the middle about 55% down. It was so close!! Should go to my regular ferri? Who will just make it look nice and put shoes on him. Or should I call a correctional ferri? Mud is packed inside, that is not puss or anything. I love my horse please someone. Correctional or regular ferri?

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is there anyway you could get a side view photo of his hoof? I do not know of it is just the angle of the photo you posted, but his hoof looks rather grown out. If that is the case, I would think once trimmed the crack would be much closer to the bottom of the hoof and it would be a waiting game from there. If the crack is growing, I would call a farrier who has experience in this situation. I would wait to ride him or allow him to run wild until his hoof has grown all the way out.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
It needs a good washing out and perhaps a liberal squirt of Coppersept. Do this daily until the farrier comes. Looks almost like a split from a blown abscess.

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
Well that's not your standard little abscess crack! You can see it goes around to the middle at least - does the ridgeline of changed growth go right around the foot? Can't really tell much from that angle, but appears the heel is quite high, which could be a reason for a major heel 'blow out', and remaining high will have kept extra pressure on it, causing it to get worse. Appears to be pretty much grown out at the back, and a good, well balanced trim could see possibly 2/3 of it at least trimmed out. There is also very likely infection present, and the farrier may b need to 'resect' or cut out the infected area, and you will need to treat it topically with disinfectant until it's gone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, it is from him hitting it on rocks and boulders.. Like when your horse gets in a stock trailer and hits their heel gets a horizontal crack.. So I was just wondering if it looks like it needs to be filled and patched or just a nice trim? I ask because my normal ferri doesn't do correctional and the other does so I need to know which I should choose? Neither have seen it as one will convince me it needs their work in sure. The guy I bought him from bad him in a dry lot with big rocks so I'm 99% sure he hit it, as that is what happen with his back huff when was not as bad as this one so it got a trim and good to go, but this one is bigger

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
No, it is from him hitting it on rocks and boulders.. Like when your horse gets in a stock trailer and hits their heel gets a horizontal crack..
Never had a horse bash themselves in a trailer & give themselves an abscess, let alone like that. Yes, if she kicked hard into a sharp rock(would have had to somehow kick backwards...), that can cause an abscess, but just saying I suspect balance has a bearing here. Her toes are also forward(tho can't tell details from a dirt filled sole shot), which can put more pressure on heels too.

So I was just wondering if it looks like it needs to be filled and patched or just a nice trim? I ask because my normal ferri doesn't do correctional and the other does
No, wouldn't be 'patching' it, but it may need more than 'just a nice trim', as it appears the back of it at least is close to the ground surface, so may be best resected now. Especially if there is any infection present. Also ensuring the 'nice trim' includes bringing the toes back, as that excess forward growth will be putting more pressure on the whole area.

Not sure that I really believe in the term 'correctional' trimming. There is correct(for the situation & horse at that time) & there is incorrect. Part of correct for this guy ATM includes balancing feet well & relieving any pressure acting against the cracked are, and resecting as necessary. If your current farrier can't do any of that, then maybe the other is better option. But who knows, without seeing his work. Check out lamenessprevention.org for more info on hoof balance for a start.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I had a crack like that on a horse I had years ago. I bought him from a low end auction. He had been locked in a stall for 2 years since his owners death and only sporadically cared for. He still had front shoes on his feet even though the toe had pulled them way forward. I literally cut the first 8 inches or so off with a hacksaw.

In hindsight I probably should have gone slower but I took a lot off in the first 3 or 4 trims. He was foundered when I got him. Knew enough to put weight on slow.
He proceeded to blow abscesses for the next year and a half. Sometimes they would cause large portions of the hoof wall fall away. He spent a lot of time in diapers and good duct tape. Even his rears blew a few small ones. The fronts had to pretty much create a whole new hoof from the coronary band on down.

Is that wet ooze from his hoof or some pasture/horse goo?

Hard to tell from those pictures but it looks like he needs a good trim.

That's the only time I've ever had a horizontal crack of any size. The others have been a small exit crack for a small abscess. Something to watch rather than worry. Those have been rare and far in between too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts