1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
thats so sad. its horrible when a horse dies on course =[

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
12!?! far too young that's horrible so sad!

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
A terrible loss.. her heart must be aching.

And what a beautiful video.. my heart was racing just watching it! Incredible woman on an incredible horse!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My trainer stabled next to them and was in the Advanced division also. She said it was a very long, hard walk back to the barn knowing Hopper would not be there :(

ETA: Hopper was Megan's heart horse. She picked him up off the meat truck and did everything with him basically herself. This is the most devastating loss she could imagine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is always sad when a horse goes, but at least it was quick. There is something merciful in that, at least.
Unfortunately an aneurism in horses isn't necessarily fast. I actually watched a horse go down on course of an aneurism it still took him several minutes to die. While his poor uncoordinated and scrambling self was trying with every dying breath to get off the rider that had fallen underneath of him with the help of about 10 of us. I think the worst part was the look in his eyes it was like "I know I'm dying, but I have to get off of her".

It's very sad that a horse can't tell you "I have a headache" or "I feel a heart beat in my stomach" or something to indicate that they have an aneurism or any other serious life threatening issue that could possibly be addressed if only we knew about it. People have surgery for aneurisms all the time but because of our fellow fuzzy friends can't communicate with us in a way that indicates that they are in need of serious medical attention they just keep on pleasing us until their last breath.

I think Hopper wouldn't have had it any other way though. He died doing what he loved with who he loved. He may have been young but at least he got the chance to live a good life before he died.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.