The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, y’all!

This is kinda of an update for my previous topic. You can access it from my account if you don’t know what I’m talking about or the history of this. (Just to slim down the questions.)

Well, after while. I got my guts together and weighed out the pros and cons! (Thank you for voicing y’all’s concerns.)
I finally asked her if I can introduce some +R training! And she said I could and she is thankful that they are getting some attention!
So, I have the go card.
Here’s what I’m facing now..

Do I take the liberty and trim their feet? They are extremely tender and one mare is lame.
I think I’ll put them out of a lot of pain. If I do.
I think yea! But then again I don’t want to **** her off if she just see her horses feet trimmed and being treated..
I’m also taking the liberty of cleaning her round pen for the use!

Am I doing too much? Should I just ask?
Thx

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think you should ask about the feet. And make sure she agrees that they are lame first, otherwise she might think that you made them lame. Maybe even take some videos.

As for cleaning out the round pen, well, if I were her, I'd be happy to have it done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you should ask about the feet. And make sure she agrees that they are lame first, otherwise she might think that you made them lame. Maybe even take some videos.

As for cleaning out the round pen, well, if I were her, I'd be happy to have it done.
Alright, how do you suppose me going around and asking about doing their feet? I have overwhelming social anxiety! 😂 take it easy on me!
Thank you! I’ll definitely be taking photos and videos before.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Alright, how do you suppose me going around and asking about doing their feet? I have overwhelming social anxiety! 😂 take it easy on me!
Thank you! I’ll definitely be taking photos and videos before.
I have social anxiety, too, so I get it.

How did you ask her about working with them in the first place? Could you just use the same method to ask about their feet?

·
Banned
214 Posts
Do I take the liberty and trim their feet? They are extremely tender and one mare is lame.
I think yea! But then again I don’t want to **** her off if she just see her horses feet trimmed and being treated..

Thx
I would casually ask something like this ->
"Hey, i was working with one of you horses and I saw his or her feet was causing discomfort is there anyway i could trim the hooves? I know how to do it, if you dont want me doing it i can also ask a trainer professional "

I wish u luck!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thx
I would casually ask something like this ->
"Hey, i was working with one of you horses and I saw his or her feet was causing discomfort is there anyway i could trim the hooves? I know how to do it, if you dont want me doing it i can also ask a trainer professional "

I wish u luck!!!
That sounds perfect! Thank you!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Social anxiety sure makes simple things much harder. I wish you the best in this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish there was a like or react button on this forum. So many great people with awesome answers. You guys rock 👍

I’m sorry you’ve been put in this position. No doubt it’s uncomfortable and I assume with social anxiety you’ve had incidents in the past where your good nature has been misread or taken advantage of. You’re doing the right thing and in a very respectful manner. Don’t doubt that.

I agree the best way is to be straight forward. Thundering Hooves suggestion is perfect; simple and to the point. I find sometimes too much information at one time can shy people away from getting the help they need.

The hardest challenge I’ve encountered with horse owners is feed management (as mentioned in your previous question). A lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea of their horses being “starved” and, in turn, love them to death. We have several repeat founder cases at the clinic. I believe there is one patient still hobbling around out there, somewhere, with a hospital plate on because one coffin bone had essentially rotated / descended through the bottom of the sole. They chose not to euthanize against the vets recommendation.

I think another important question you asked is, “am I doing too much?”. ...I often struggle with this myself. My minute advice would be to remember that these horses aren’t yours. Not to imply that you’re doing anything wrong, but to remind you not to lose yourself to a cause which you can potentially be excused from at any time.

Wishing you and these horses the best on this journey ❤

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish there was a like or react button on this forum. So many great people with awesome answers. You guys rock 👍

I’m sorry you’ve been put in this position. No doubt it’s uncomfortable and I assume with social anxiety you’ve had incidents in the past where your good nature has been misread or taken advantage of. You’re doing the right thing and in a very respectful manner. Don’t doubt that.

I agree the best way is to be straight forward. Thundering Hooves suggestion is perfect; simple and to the point. I find sometimes too much information at one time can shy people away from getting the help they need.

The hardest challenge I’ve encountered with horse owners is feed management (as mentioned in your previous question). A lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea of their horses being “starved” and, in turn, love them to death. We have several repeat founder cases at the clinic. I believe there is one patient still hobbling around out there, somewhere, with a hospital plate on because one coffin bone had essentially rotated / descended through the bottom of the sole. They chose not to euthanize against the vets recommendation.

I think another important question you asked is, “am I doing too much?”. ...I often struggle with this myself. My minute advice would be to remember that these horses aren’t yours. Not to imply that you’re doing anything wrong, but to remind you not to lose yourself to a cause which you can potentially be excused from at any time.

Wishing you and these horses the best on this journey ❤
Thank you for the answer!! Yes, I have been advised to tread very carefully. And I really am taking precautions.
I have been taking photos of their hooves and I plan on taking a few videos on how they move to show they’ve been sore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts