The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I ride, we have a 10 year old chestnut gelding that used to be a police horse. His name is Sargent Pepper. While on duty in 2003, his rider and their partner stopped in a specified building to water them. There was two other rider and horses in there. Anyway as Sarge finished his drink, his rider tied his helmet to the saddle. The other two left the building, and I think Sarge got excited, cause he turned and bolted after them. His rider tried to stop him, but it was to late. As he neared the other two, the helmet came abit loose and started to bang against his side, and for some reason, this scared him, and he took off even faster, running past the other two in a panic. One of the other riders tried to stop him, but couldnt. So now Sarge was running in a blind panic towards the road. He ran straight into the road, and slipped, so he fell. He got up, but a car was coming, and he got hit. In the end, the poor horse got hit by two cars, a taxi, then ran into a brick wall!! His injuries were pretty horrific (Ive seen photos) but he survived, and is okay now =)

I posted this cause I really have NO idea how he survived!!!

Did anything sort of like this happen to a horse you know?

·
Registered
562 Posts
my horse slipped and fell over a ledge with me on him. we both got hurt, i was in the ER with my chin cut open to the bone, and cutters leg was pretty cute up. but we were both fine, only my bridle really suffered. i ended up needing a new one

·
Super Moderator
26,588 Posts
Beauty backed into a pile of siding. She severed the artery in one leg and the tendons in the other. We called the local vet, he stitched her artery but when saw her other leg, he said he couldnt help her so we hauled her to the equine clinic 2 hours away and they did emergency surgurey. She was given a 70% chance. She made it. Here chances to be sound were around 70% as well. She's pretty close to perfect. (2 years later).

·
Registered
190 Posts
In a our town, a few years ago, during a parade a police horse got hit by a car. The woman driving didn't want to wait for the parade to get through the intersection and thought she could just drive through. The horse was injured so bad they had to put him down on the spot. Unfortunatly his rider/partner was taken to the hospital and couldn't be there to say goodbye. The woman was charged (don't recall the excact charge, but something along the lines of police officer injury/death) They had a HUGE gathering to honor the horse.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
omg ^^^ that IS sad! What I dont really get is how Sarge was okay after being hit by 3 cars, but that horse didnt make it? Its awful when a horse is lost

·
Registered
892 Posts
In a our town, a few years ago, during a parade a police horse got hit by a car. The woman driving didn't want to wait for the parade to get through the intersection and thought she could just drive through. The horse was injured so bad they had to put him down on the spot. Unfortunatly his rider/partner was taken to the hospital and couldn't be there to say goodbye. The woman was charged (don't recall the excact charge, but something along the lines of police officer injury/death) They had a HUGE gathering to honor the horse.

Oh my goodness that's so sad :cry:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My god-sister had horses for quite a few years, and she decided to breed her Fox Trotter mare to a really pretty black and white stud. The baby came fine, they named him Domino, and everything was going good. I am not sure exactly how and in what timeline things really happened, but at some point they were working on loading him into a trailer, and unloading him, and they had him tied up inside the trailer, something spooked him, and he bolted out, and the front paneling came with him, and since he was tied to it, it kept following him, and it cut up his hind legs pretty badly. I remember helping change the wraps one day. Not pretty. Then while he was still healing he somehow caught himself in the feeder, and cut up a front leg and one of his already hurt hindlegs. They hadn't gelded him yet, and they ended up sending him back to the farm where his dad stood stud, as a stud since he was never going to be rideable after all the stuff he did to his legs. I'm just surprised that he didn't end up wrapping the leadrope around a tree or something, and hanging himself, or something similar. He was a very lucky horse.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
a month after me & my sis got our first horse she was kicked in the pasture by a mare with hind shoes and a history of kicking. the barn owners did not tell us of this history, but apparently she had broken a couple horses legs & injured a few others !!

my mare got kicked in the hock & had to have surgery bc of infection. some of the bone on her hock had to be shaven off. she had to wear a cast from her hip down to the ground & had to be changed every day. it was terrible. our vet said that she had a less than 50% chance of being pasture sound & advised us to put her down. we did not end up putting her down & now she is a happy & sound 23yo =] we sold her to our friend as a trail horse, & im SO glad we didnt have her put down !!

·
Registered
107 Posts
My friends young colt was being a handful since several of her mares went into heat. They use T posts to help secure the panels and cap off the tops. The colt managed to knock the top off at some point. He tried to jump the panels to get to the mares and ended up skewering himself on the T post. It severed a main artery and thankfully my friend was out there and they raced to the vet with him. Several thousand dollars later he was fine and doesn't even have a scar to this day. Vet said if it been a little more to one side he would of punctured his heart and would of died. Lucky little boy.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Before I owned my mare, I worked at the stable she was at. One day she and another horse got loose. Athena had ran into the barn and back out, and some how found something to slice open her shoulder. We're still not sure exactly what it was. Turned out that it was 6 inches long, 3 layers deep, and needed lots and lots of stitches. One whole month of stall rest, and she's perfectly normal. In the summer, you can just barely see her scar.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
When my horse Buck was a young horse, Dad used to team rope on him all the time. At one of the ropings, Buck managed to over-reach and catch himself in the fetlock (we only used bell and splint boots at the time). He fractured one of the bones in his leg, I don't remember which one now, it's been too long. The vet took x-rays and said that he would never be sound and the best thing that Dad could do was put him down. Well, he just couldn't face doing that because Buck was a fighter and if anyone could come back, it would be him. So he brought him home and put him in a stall for about 2 months until he could kinda hobble around on it. Then Dad turned him out in the pasture for another whole year to babysit some yearlings. When he caught him up after that year, Buck didn't limp at all. Dad didn't want to risk getting him hurt again so he decided that he would never rope on him again. At that moment, he became solely my horse. I was about 6 or 7 at the time. A couple of years later, we were at a roping and I was riding around in the parking lot around the arena on Buck. Dad was on a younger inexperienced horse and ended up in the finals. All he had to do was catch one more cow and he would bring home like $2500. He needed a horse that he could trust so he came and got me and said "Jen, can I borrow your horse for a minute?" I will never forget the transformation I saw in old Buck that day. He went from a plodding, carefree, kid horse to the arrogant, chargy, strutting horse he was in his youth. Dad went and won the money and after that day, he never rode Buck again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh yeah and my grandma's horse just this last year literally put a gate lock into his head. It was gross. It happened while I was visiting. My grandma went out to feed them some carrots for the night. Her setup is a mare motel style thing with a stall made of pipes and then that stall has a gate to let them into a paddock run. Well the gate that lets them out of the stall and into the run was pushed back against the other fence so he stuck his head in and went to pull it out and the gate followed him with his head still in it. He panicked and tried to twist out which jammed the bolt into his head right below the hear and behind the cheek piece, you know that fleshy area right there?). I heard my grandma screaming for me so I came out. She got him to calm down and kept him from turning his back end around and I twisted his head and pushed it out.

It was a big open wound that we had to repack full of gauze every day. It was under the skin and into some muscle and you could see like 6 inches down into his face. Nasty. We had to make sure to keep him taped, gauzed, and fly masked up so no flys would lay eggs in it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In Oregon, we had a very sad case last year - sorry if this is graphic, but the horse is alive and well now. An abandoned horse was found wandering in a forest who had been shot multiple times, once in the head. Here is the news story: Shot horse gets new life | Northwest Headlines - OregonLive.com

His eye was removed and he stabilized. As the investigation unfolded, a farrier identified the horse as coming from some camp near the area. The foreman of the camp apparently was trying to dispose of the horse, it had a leg injury that the owners could not afford to treat. He was convicted on animal abuse charges.

Although the story was really sad, there were many articles in the paper about how this horse survived and touched everyone. They renamed the horse Trooper. He went to a great woman who rehabilitates horses. She herself is a survivor of violence and had a very special farm, focusing on rescuing, but also helping area disadvantaged youth learn to ride and work with horses. This is one special horse!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
this happened to my mare before i bought her, the owner/friend/breeder told us the story of why she now has a scar on her forehead...
when she was 3 years old, the owner tied her up to a ring in the wall, and went to get the brushes, well rena was kicking/pawing the wall and a screw came loose/sticking out. rena got scared and brought her head down or slipped or somethign like that and cut her forehead open on the screw. luckily the old owner is a vet and she was stitched back up, all better. but it sounded pretty scary, im glad i wasnt there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is what happened to my horse when he kicked through a fence at a neighbours horse - the vet said he was VERY lucky.
He's fine now :) not even a scar :D but he got really bad with putting the cream on his legs - he won't even let you put fly spray on anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
One of the horses at my old barn was in the round pen when his back hoof broke one of the lower boards. The splintered board (about 4 feet long) went through his rear and came out on the inside of his leg. The only person there at the time was a 14 year old girl who was working him in the pen. I felt so sorry for her, she called me but I was too far away to help so one of the other girls went over. It took 45 mins to find a vet that would come out. He was very lucky an inch one way and he would have hit an artery and an inch the other and he would have hit bone.

8420_141234363492_529603492_2479396_6403459_n.jpg

8420_141234368492_529603492_2479397_3054437_n.jpg

8420_141234378492_529603492_2479398_2641833_n.jpg

8420_141234388492_529603492_2479399_1962176_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG!!! That poor animal!!! All of your stories, are just amazing. HOW do these horses manage it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
our first injury

We had recently purchased a drop dead georgeous black and white paint named Gamble. My husband who does not usually do any of their daily care went out to feed up and i was in the kitchen. Something made me look out the window and I thought at first that my husband had hung a big red rag on Gamble's neck. Then I realized that my husband was screaming for me to call the Vet. The red rag was actually Gamble's face hanging down. It was horrible.. I was on the phone with the Vet and my husband was hollering that Gamble needed a shot NOW. The Vet said no so my husband held his face on for over an hour until the Vet could get to our house. Gamble was cut from under his chin to the cheek and up all the way past the corner of his eye to above the eye. That entire side of his face was hanging off. After a couple of hours and hundreds of staples and stiches later his face was back on. We had strict instructions on eye care and wound care : bandges and diapers with panty hose over his head with holes for only his ears and eyes. It took 3 of us each day to do this as we hardley knew this horse and he was not happy with the care and especially about his eye being covered.
Happy ending in part - He ended up with no scar except a few white hairs behind his ears because of the panty hose
Sad part - he was a bucking bronco and to much horse for us so we had to sell him
I will always wonder if the way we started out was why

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.