The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I rode a stallion all day yesterday and in fact have ridden many stallions and I have never noticed a particular sound that they make. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I guess I've always noticed it. All of the stallions on my parents farm did it to. Both their 10 yr old and my 2 year old did it.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
It's a particular sound that I've hear in all my geldings. There is really no way to describe it that I can think of. I'm rarely around stallions so I can't say if it's the same sound or not but I suspect it would be.

There was a thread not so long ago that touched on that. In that thread the consensus was that the sound was coming from either the testicles or what was left when they were removed.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Its actually the sound of air in the sheath moving in and out when a male horse trots and lopes. Some make a kind of squeeking sound, some make more of a shooshing sound. Used to be it was said to clean the sheath, but doesn't make a difference and it happens with stallions and geldings, some more than others.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Its actually the sound of air in the sheath moving in and out when a male horse trots and lopes. Some make a kind of squeeking sound, some make more of a shooshing sound. Used to be it was said to clean the sheath, but doesn't make a difference and it happens with stallions and geldings, some more than others.
Good way to describe it!

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
...I like the sound!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I make it a policy to never move fast enough that MY parts make noise!!!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Mwhahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
baahahaha dying laughing over here @ Kevin and Iride. My gelding makes this noise very loudly and it cracks me up. OP glad you figured it out, though rather shady dealing people you got stuck with. Hopefully a quick snip and some more training and he'll be right as rain- good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
It drives me nuts that so called "horse people" run to trainers every time a simple problem pops up :shock:

If you have confidence and don't rush and above all are willing to learn then thats all you need to train a horse or break habits.

Your horse sounds like he had some bad handling in his past.. and defently has a problem with being saddled. I had a horse when I was younger who I used a poorly fitted saddle on and she would shy away and was impossible to saddle, due the the discomfort I caused her.... So I learned what the problem was (the saddle), did some research on fitting saddles bought one that fit and started over with her.

Just cause I had a new saddle did not mean that she was ok with me just throwing it on her back, and why should she?

Stop trying to saddle him, work on the ground with him for a week, not just ground work, but playing with him, cover his head with you jacket, push him around, lift his feet, give him a whole body scratch with a rack, take him for a few walks.. Then bring in the saddle pad, and rub him all over with it, over his head and eyes, under his butt and stomach and between his legs.

For the saddle.. if you have a round pen us that if not a small paddock or lung him. A reward for a horse is that they have to do less work.. send him around a few time, bring him and rub him with the pad placing it on his back, then show the saddle and try placing it on his back, it he moved a single foot, put him back to work doing a few more rounds. They try again.

There is no fast answer, and no trainer that can replace you putting in the time and effort. And just remember "slow is smooth and smooth is fast!" If you put the time in now it will pay off later for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I agree with you! For one, I can't afford a trainer, and two, they won't be trained the way you want him. I have recently started playing with him and we do go for walks. I brush him every time I see him. I spent about an hour with him tonight just brushing him.

I've got things figured out not - on May 20th, he's going to get gelded. And awhile after that he'll be calmed down and I can't wait.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.