The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do you start calling a filly/colt a mare/stallion (or gelding), respectively? I've heard people say as young as two/three or as "old" as four/five. Aren't there specific guidelines, especially for shows? I've also heard people say that it depends on the country....?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was always told anything under 4 was a filly and 4 or over a mare. The break over I would assume on a colt and a stallion would be the same. On the same line a 5 year old is the point when the spine and skeletal growth is suppose to end but, there are exceptions to that . I went and looked at a 5 year old mare the=other day and the owner referred to here as a filly. I mentioned that to the seller and she never answered just looked at me funny.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Technically, anything under 4 is a colt/filly. Anything over is mare/gelding/stallion. But people still call it whatever they want. They still call it "colt breaking" even if they're breaking a filly. A foal is a foal until they're 1, then they're a yearling. Then they're a two-year-old. Then so on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.