Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As they seem to have more knowledge about fourage/food in the US, I'm curious if someone can help to think of this problem.

My horse Indy acts 'allergic' at fertilized grass, or 'rich' grass.

Most of the time she will develop gas, gas and more gas, resulting in acute colic.

The solution now is to not put her on fertilized grass or other grass anywhere, but I'm really curious what this problem causes.

Missing an enzym in the stomach/small intestine? Just eating to fast? Is she reacting at protein? Of fructane? Of just materials of the cow manure that's injected?

Maybe good to know she has a heart problem (aritmia) and hád eczema, but not anymore. These reactions started last year, when living at another location, no problems with our own gras (natural land) but when eating somewhere outside (for example at a park).

She gets the best hay, at the moment biological hay from Denmark.

If someone has a tip, or recognize this problemen, would like to hear!

She wasn't very lucky because 2 months ago she suddenly got a torsion of her large intestine..... Not because of colic, but just rolling at the pasture. She was standing at sand and unfertalized grass, for weeks already whole days, so not related to the allergic colics. Just bad bad luck......

She's operated and survived, but next year she will be outside again, so what's wisdom to do. Next week we will go to the vet clinic again for a checkup and echo of the intestine and muscles of the belly. Than we will discuss for further checkup, because I really want to know where that 'allergic' reaction comes from.

So if anyone has an idea where to search, I would love to hear!

I'm from the Netherlands.

·
Premium Member
24,139 Posts
Hi,

I have heard of horses being allergic to grass, but don't know much about it. As you describe only gass and colic, I'd be inclined to think it's perhaps not allergy but hind gut acidosis or such. This can be common when horses graze rich grass, or otherwise have a high starch diet. Fertilised grass can be a problem for that reason and also because it can cause massive imbalances - eg. it is usually very high in phosphates. Acidosis can cause damage of the gut lining, ulcers, colic, laminitis, etc. A probiotic would also likely be helpful, to help heal any damage done & get her gut functioning more effectively again.

If you have a good equine vet available I'd be inclined to get her checked out & see what they suggest. I'd also consult an equine nutritionist if poss, or use a service such as feedXL.com to ensure she's getting a well balanced diet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your answer.

Unfortunatly, Indy is at the vet clinic again. She had a little bit colic again wednesday eve..... They checked everything out, blood, echo, reflux but nothing specific did come out of the research. She's now there for observation, they orderd special feed for her, it will arrive at tuesday. They also found some wormeggs this time, so that's the next step tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.