The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the horse's behavior odd. I have never seen a horse charge and "butt heads" like this. He is rearing and pushing on the bulls head with his chest (this may one day end in tears but they seam happy now). What do you guys make of it? They both seam to be having a good time.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would never allow a horse to "play" with a bull with horns, you are asking for trouble. If a horse can gore itself on a non-moving object like a t-post on accident, then the risk of it happening with this bull's horns seem very high.

I wish the man was visible more often. The few times I saw him, it looked to me like he was cueing the horse and bull to go after each other. Seems like he trained them to do this for entertainment.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was cringing at the horns, as I said, end in tears. The horse's behavior is what told me something was odd. I can see running and bucking around with each other, that would be normal behavior for the both of them (How both horses and calves play, though I have not seen play in full grown bulls or cows). The horse is athletic and was acting as if he was "working" the bull. Like a cutting horse will if you turn them out with cows.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
That bull is not aggressive and I see no problem with the two of them playing around.
It also looks like the bull has had his horns trimmed.
IMO that horse is in no more danger than when two horses play.
Our bulls and cows have horns and I have not seen very many injuries caused by them. Shalom

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that they where trimmed. I have seen horses rear while playing but his throwing himself at the bull like that seamed odd. The bull looked like he was having fun though XD. Im still leery on the horns because of how forcefully the gelding was throwing himself onto the bull. Accidents happen and horses always seem to find them.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
the horse is not throwing all his weight on the bull just seems to be pushing against him.
I have seen cattle and horses play in this way as calves and foals and even until they were mature. Shalom

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's staged. Horse (and bull possibly) are being cued ... Like has been mentioned the movements are to refined. Not crazy like an overexcitable horse ...
Clever though they look like there having fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's a Spanish bull fighting horse. Popular in Mexico for the bull fights. Looks like they might be demonstrating how the horse act around the bull without a rider. Those horses are very fearless around the bulls.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Like as said above, bull fighting horse and there might be some cueing going on. No different than seeing the videos of cutting horses working cows on their own.
The bull isn't being aggressive.
Horses get perceptive if they have ever been hit once by a cow or bull on the fight :)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The only thing I saw that could be mistaken for cueing was what looked like him shooing the horse away from him and snapping at the bull to get its attention. It really looked to me as if they were playing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I suspect they were testing a young horse to see if it could become a bull fighting horse. It sure showed MOXY. It was unusual to see it chest butt the bull right between the horns like this one did.

My guess it will be trained for the ring, which is a sad thing. Many of these horses are gored and killed. However, the incredible training and agility some of the higher quality horses show is amazing.

Then there are the horses of the picadors. These are poorly trained "throwaway" horses that they want the bull to charge. Notice the horse is blindfolded so that it can't see what's coming? The padding rarely protects them for long. This is a kind video of them, the poor things.

Hopefully it will go the route of the Spanish equitation speed horse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.