The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I moved my horses to a new barn. I rent a whole 5 acre pasture for just my horses. There is a neighbor with a big Great Pyrenees dog. The dog is pretty nice and up until now things have been pretty good.
The dog has escaped her backyard plenty of times and even though other boarders have complained. My pasture backs up to her fence. So it's my wire fence and then like 3 feet of space and then her wooden fence.
So last week the dog escaped while I was there. My horses don't particularly like dogs but they usually just avoid them. My saddlebred, that darn horse lol, approaches the dog. And the dog snaps at his face (in a playful way) so my horse runs away. The dog starts chasing him. My horse, Red, turns around and stomps on the dog and kicks him. Dog limps away. I go to her house to let her know what happened. She doesn't seem to bothered by it because "it happens all the time" . Today I get a phone call saying that the dog has a shattered shoulder. And that it was my fault.
Now I am sorry that the dog was injured, but I don't thing I should be held accountable for that.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I think a dog owner is responsible for taking reasonable means of keeping the dog on their property if not on a leash or under supervision. Same goes for horse owners. Your horses were where they were supposed to be, but the dog was not.

But it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what your local laws/ordinances say.....

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
First of all, it's their responsibility to keep the dog contained - not yours. You might want to see if your county, town, what-have-you, has a leash law, as many areas do. You may also want to see what if anything is stated about dogs bothering livestock - in many states, a dog that is harassing livestock can be shot legally. Your neighbor is lucky that you were nice enough to let her know what happened.

I would say from a legal standpoint that you are not liable for damages, because the dog was not under control, entered your property without your knowledge, and was harassing a horse to the point where the horse felt it needed to defend itself. Again, your neighbor is lucky that a broken bone is all that happened.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It is not your fault, it is the dog owner's fault for allowing their dog around horses. I try to let people know about the danger of dogs and horses. My horse had several "accidents" with dogs, ran over one, kicked two more with no major injuries except one dog had a broken tooth. Then she kicked my dog in the head and I realized these were not accidents, she was trying to harm the dogs.

Many people have their dogs around horses and have not had problems. I had dogs around horses for many years. I believe people are still risking their dog's life, and need to be told that. The nicest horse might have a bad day and kick the dog, and then the dog will be seriously injured or dead. After my dog got kicked, the vet told me they take care of many, many dogs and cats each year that are injured or killed by horses. My dog survived and is fine, but it was a very large vet bill. I am just glad my ignorance didn't cost him his life.

It's never the horse owner's fault if a horse injures or kills a dog. It is to be expected when a 1,000 lb animal is loose with an animal only a fraction of it's size. People are very ignorant of this, and when dogs run up to our horses on the beach I say loudly, "Careful, don't kick the dog," and then people suddenly realize their dogs may be in danger and come gather them up. For some reason they think the dog is the threat to us. Dogs do bite horses sometimes, and injure them badly, but I know my horses would kill any dog that bit them.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The dog was trespassing on someone else's property. That's not your fault. In my part of the world, you could have shot that dog dead for harassing your livestock and been within your rights.
This^^^.
You're not at fault. Dog owner is. I would of kicked rocks at the dog from the get go for being in the wrong area and at the point of him chasing livestock he'd been shot.

·
Registered
938 Posts
What a mess. There is no reasoning with people about dogs, and I hate having strained relationships with a neighbor. You have no responsibility in this. If your neighbor can't afford exotic surgery I suggest she have the dog's leg amputated. For $1000 the dog can live a long and happy life on three legs.

For others facing this situation, it's wise to warn people immediately that your horses pose a threat to any dog that enters their enclosure. Maybe even put up some signs to that effect. If you are willing to work hard enough with Roundup or string trimmer you can also run a low hot wire on your fence that most dogs will only touch once.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a similar problem with another person's dog chasing my horses, but it was not in play. That dog was just plain mean! It tried to bite my father, but thankfully, it has not been around much any more. I agree with the other posts that it was not your horse's fault, but the dog owner's. If that dog had been known to chase livestock, it should have been secured, or shot a long time ago.

Reactions: boots and JCnGrace

·
Registered
328 Posts
The dog escaped and got onto your property. The dog owner has said its happened before, so why hasn't she sorted out her fence?

You're not liable. The owner needs to be in control of her dog. I know someone that was in a similar situation as the dog owner. She tried to claim the vets fees off her pet insurance. She was told no way as she wasn't taking reasonable care of her dog!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Some people just can't take culpability for their own actions. It is the dog owners responsibility to keep her dog contained and safe. That can't happen if she doesn't take action to make sure her fences are secure and escape proof. She made it known that she is aware that her dog escapes often "It happens all of the time". Unfortunately for the her and the dog, she didn't seem to be aware that an animal that can be well over 1000 lbs can inflict a bit of harm to another animal that is a mere fraction of it's size. By law, your horses were where they were supposed to be and her dog was a trespasser. If your horses got into her yard and hurt her dog, that would be different. As a matter of fact, if her dog got out and got hit by a car in the street, the owner of the car can sue her for any damages done to their car because the dog is not supposed to be in the street. Most counties have ordinances about people keeping their dogs contained.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
Owner is at fault. I don't think that any court would back her and the anology of being hit by a car is a good example.

i regularly have a lovely Lab when hos owners are away. I never realised that he had never met cattle before and never gave it a thought.
A calf started to run back to his mother and the dog went after it, not nastily more in play. I hollered at him and as he started to stop so the cow lashed out and kicked him. Best thing to have happened, it hurt him for several minutes and then wore off. I deliberately walked near the cows later that day and the dog saw them and came to walk behind me!

Lesson learned but had he been seriously hurt I would not have blamed the farmer. My fault for not having the dog under control.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Our neighborhood has several dogs that are not kept in their yards. For the most part, they are friendly and have never been a problem. When I first brought my horse home, I let the dogs' owners know that Cally had already killed one dog and that they should take care that their dogs not come into her field, as she might go after them.

One of the neighbors didn't think it would be a problem until their dog - a heeler cross - charged at Cally and she returned the favor. She spun, charged, and was lashing out with her front feet as well as trying to bite the dog! Dog decided it was real lucky to escape and has never crossed the fence line since.

The other dog is a sweet little old gal - pit bull - who regularly wanders into the horses field to say hello, rolls in the manure, etc. The horses ignore her completely... but then, that dog has never offered the slightest sign of aggression toward them, either.

The third dog is a big, goofy, playful yellow lab. He'll come into the field to sniff manure on occasion but always keeps an eye on the horses. If they get too close, though, he'll duck back to the safe side of the fence. He knows who rules! LOL! Odd thing is, he and the horses quite often stand on their respective sides of the fence, nose to nose, saying hello.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
This^^^.
You're not at fault. Dog owner is. I would of kicked rocks at the dog from the get go for being in the wrong area and at the point of him chasing livestock he'd been shot.
Ditto!
A horse is a prey species, and a dog is a predator. Horses can learn to accept/ trust a family dog, but that does not mean they don't consider other dogs to be the species they evolved from-wolves
I know of horses put through a fence by dogs.
I have absolutely no problem having hubby shoot any stray dog that harasses our horses!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts