The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a horse that had been bought at auction by his previous owner. I'm not familiar with horse auctions and wondered if I should be worried I am going to find something wrong with him at some point.

·
Administrator
36,391 Posts
The majority of horses on dealer yards/Barns come from auctions, it doesn't mean anything.
I'd like to think that you had the horse vet checked prior to purchase but if you didn't, you didn't.
Don't anticipate problems happening just because the horse was once sold through an auction.

I have three horses that I bought at auction and they're all 'what it said on the label'.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I thought the same about auctions once upon a time...if a horse came from an auction, well, it must've earned it's spot at said auction.

Well now it seems like people are more often sending their horses to auction to get more $$$ (especially now with how much horses are going for right now!). I couldn't put a price tag on a horse right now with how much people are willing to pay. I'd be way more intrigued to see what people are willing to pay for a horse rather than putting a price tag on one and then realizing I priced it too low. I've been very casually horse shopping and I'd dare to say horse prices have doubled, and in some cases tripled, over the past year.

Of course I'm not a person that could send a horse to be sold to at an auction to a completely unknown person. I'd like to be able to ensure (to the best of my ability anyways) that my horses end up in good hands. Maybe if I was specifically buying, training, and selling project horses, but even then I think I'd prefer to privately sell my horses over auctioning them.

Reactions: BethR

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
"I've been very casually horse shopping and I'd dare to say horse prices have doubled, and in some cases tripled, over the past year."

This is what my trainer who also buys and sells high dollar horses says also. I can hardly find a good used horse trailer because people are instantly snapping them up. Why do you suppose this is?

Auctions- this makes me think of poor, old or crazy horses being sold for meat and shipped to Canada or Mexico for slaughter.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
"Bought at auction" can mean so many things. Was the horse pulled from a kill pen with a totally unknown history or did it go though one of the high-end TB or stock horse sales? There is also a huge variety of auctions in between those extremes.

Sometimes coming from auction means the horse lacks a complete history, but sometimes sellers lie and no auction is involved! If your horse is doing what you need in a way that you like, you should enjoy every moment you can and not worry about the past.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
"I've been very casually horse shopping and I'd dare to say horse prices have doubled, and in some cases tripled, over the past year."

This is what my trainer who also buys and sells high dollar horses says also. I can hardly find a good used horse trailer because people are instantly snapping them up. Why do you suppose this is?

Auctions- this makes me think of poor, old or crazy horses being sold for meat and shipped to Canada or Mexico for slaughter.
I don't want to make any crazy assumptions, but I'd assume that most individuals that own horses have not been affected nearly as much by Covid (this is assuming that horse owners make more $$$ and hold jobs resistant to lay-off). Add in the stimulus payments and those people have even more money to spend, in their rather unaffected lives (this isn't meant to sound bad, many of us have been very lucky! I thought I'd see a lot more "lost my job, selling my horse, etc" ads, but haven't, I haven't seen one!). This is what I've assumed is driving up prices, anyways. And in the US, we are heading into show season where purchase prices are always higher compared to over winter.

It isn't even just high dollar horses. Things that were $2k two years ago are now $4-6k. I can't believe it. Horses are just becoming more and more unobtainable for the 'average Joe' to enjoy.

Horse trailers are stupid expensive right now. Believe it or not, your rust bucket two horse from 1980 isn't worth $5k...but now it is? It's super weird. I'm shopping for a truck (which used market is crazy as well) and trailer right now too. Ha, ha, I'm going to keep dreaming until I stumble upon a pot of gold or prices go back down.

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
Look up Ike Sankey's Cowgirl Cadillac or Bots Sots horse auctions.

This discussion also brings to mind a grade gelding picked up a couple years ago for $600 that went on to play high goal polo in So Cal.

I've bought dozens of horses from auctions. Always picked ones that I hoped could go three or four directions. I may get back into that when I retire.

Enjoy your horse.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't want to make any crazy assumptions, but I'd assume that most individuals that own horses have not been affected nearly as much by Covid (this is assuming that horse owners make more $$$ and hold jobs resistant to lay-off). Add in the stimulus payments and those people have even more money to spend, in their rather unaffected lives (this isn't meant to sound bad, many of us have been very lucky! I thought I'd see a lot more "lost my job, selling my horse, etc" ads, but haven't, I haven't seen one!). This is what I've assumed is driving up prices, anyways. And in the US, we are heading into show season where purchase prices are always higher compared to over winter.

It isn't even just high dollar horses. Things that were $2k two years ago are now $4-6k. I can't believe it. Horses are just becoming more and more unobtainable for the 'average Joe' to enjoy.

Horse trailers are stupid expensive right now. Believe it or not, your rust bucket two horse from 1980 isn't worth $5k...but now it is? It's super weird. I'm shopping for a truck (which used market is crazy as well) and trailer right now too. Ha, ha, I'm going to keep dreaming until I stumble upon a pot of gold or prices go back down.
I casually browse horse ads occasionally and when I looked yesterday I was flabbergasted! I could not believe it! I confess I've been spoiled and found all three of my horses at prices that were amazing even when I bought them 4-9 years ago. My two geldings are as broke as a horse could be, healthy, had tons of trail miles on them, cross water - you name it, they do it. I got them for $1,500 each four years ago, from 2 different sellers, when they were both 18. I paid $1,000 for my beautiful AQHA filly (now a 9 yo mare - shown in my avatar). Even 6 months ago you could find reasonably priced horses.

I'm glad I'm not looking for a horse, truck, or trailer right now!

Have you seen the price of wood? $100 for ONE square of plywood!!

Of course it does make sense if you kind of back away and look at the whole picture. There's only so much stuff available to buy, and suddenly there are a lot more dollars in circulation.

·
Super Moderator
15,455 Posts
I have not bought from auctions myself, but have friends that did so and have "spectatored" many times at auctions..
Some auctions are far better quality of animal than others...
For goodness sake the Keeneland Sale is the pinnacle of horseflesh in Thoroughbreds often going for millions of dollars....
It is a "high-class" auction.

At any auction...
You need to know what you are looking at in horseflesh, listen carefully to what is announced about the animal, if anything.
If your horse came through the auction, so many do today....not a big deal, really.
Far easier and faster to put a animal through the auction than list for sale and hope a few are interested enough to come look...
Today so many quality animals whose owners have fallen on hard times or just want sold put the animal to the auction just because it was a faster sale.
Some sale animals may be sickly, unsound and or unhealthy...but I tend to think today more animals go through the sale are fine, healthy, maybe some with weak training....

As was mentioned, a simple health check and basic PPE done would of been great, but it doesn't sound like you bought from the auction but from a broker/sale barn or owner so....the horse was probably looked at by a vet.
If where you live you need a current coggins, that carefully read document could give you some clues of where the horse came from and past owner...but, the horse was sold and to contact is not always wanted done so tread carefully if you have that information.
Don't judge the unknown reasons harshly as bad....
Instead look what you have now in your care and ownership... a diamond whose brilliance is just beginning to glow!!
Enjoy your horse for what they are, what they offer you and each day is a gift to own a fine animal.
Go ride and enjoy!
🐴...

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I haven't been horse shopping so I'm just taking people's word that it's a seller's market. I don't understand why horse prices are going up. You could say that horse owners haven't been as affected by the current situation, but that doesn't change the fact that hundreds of horses are still being shipped to Mexico and Canada to be sold for meat. How can prices be going up if supply is still high?

Reactions: Tracyfl7 and BethR

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I haven't been horse shopping so I'm just taking people's word that it's a seller's market. I don't understand why horse prices are going up. You could say that horse owners haven't been as affected by the current situation, but that doesn't change the fact that hundreds of horses are still being shipped to Mexico and Canada to be sold for meat. How can prices be going up if supply is still high?
I'd guess because of the same reason as the housing market - low supply of what people are shopping for.

I'm personally looking for a beginner-safe horse. Age isn't a factor for me and neither are certain health conditions. But my BO is also shopping for beginner-safe horses for lessons, as well as a ton of other people right now. Anything I've found that fits my needs + budget doesn't exist, and if it does, it's sold with-in the day. Now I find plenty of late-20's horses (that I'd be open to!) that are still listed completely absurd prices (I'm talking $5k+ for a 25 year old, beginner-safe QH that desperately needs groceries/vet appointment or the same price for a late teens, beginner-safe horse that is intermittently lame that a vet can't diagnose).

And after searching the beginner-safe market, I decided to look at project horses as I'm comfortable with training a horse up for my siblings...Well, well, well anything young (or up to like 12 years old) + papered is $3-6k itself. Personally, I won't pay that for a horse that has sat in a pasture for the whole 8 years of it's life, but that's just me. I got both of my horses for less than $700 (granted, Toofine was bought very green in 2007 and Minnie was not even halter-broke) but still.

Everyone's buying but not as many people are selling, so it seems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a horse that had been bought at auction by his previous owner. I'm not familiar with horse auctions and wondered if I should be worried I am going to find something wrong with him at some point.
the fact he was bought at a auction doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with him. If you are worried just spend time with him and learn his habits and overall personality, if you notice something off about him ask his previous owner and/or a professional:)

·
Super Moderator
15,455 Posts
The sale of horses going to auction, then bought and shipped as "making weight" to the kill buyer is different than buying a intended "to keep" riding animal at auction.
All horses can end up on a killer truck regardless of sold private or at auction...no one really knows the destination of our animal and guarantee you will not hear the buyer tell you he's buying for a shipment out of the country cause you ain't selling to that person!! :eek:

We have a overabundance of animals dumped, no one wants others problems or sickly either.
Yes, some good horses, in fact great horses have hit the pipeline...some were rescued in time & we hear of them but many more are gone...
What we have though is a supply and demand issue...overabundance of supply and not enough demand till recently may have changed that.
Closed rendering houses here in the states that do take the sick, infirmed and those that are dangerous/deadly out has been shut down. Those animals now either are euthanized or ship out of this nation.
Not everyone can afford to euthanize their old and ailing horse, so yes...they swallow hard and send to market and allow someone else to do the dirty deed, but they no longer own, nor see...
Slaughter bound and auctions combined is not the purpose of this thread so let us not turn it into that or it will get shut/closed as we all know...

What was the purpose of the thread is...
A horse was found to come from a auction....
Can it be....
Is it healthy, safe and reliable a riding partner and the answer to that many times over is YES!!!

With that I bid all a friendly farewell...
Please don't take this thread down the heated and hated slaughter or not path, please don't!
I touched it briefly, and should not have and shall report me for that transgression!!
Instead I encourage the new owner their horse is a fine animal worthy of a loving home and good care from them...
So far, till that "he came from...." was known there was no issue...
Don't assume horrors when none are present...enjoy your lovely horse and time spent together!
🐴....

·
Registered
759 Posts
The sale of horses going to auction, then bought and shipped as "making weight" to the kill buyer is different than buying a intended "to keep" riding animal at auction.
All horses can end up on a killer truck regardless of sold private or at auction...no one really knows the destination of our animal and guarantee you will not hear the buyer tell you he's buying for a shipment out of the country cause you ain't selling to that person!! :eek:

We have a overabundance of animals dumped, no one wants others problems or sickly either.
Yes, some good horses, in fact great horses have hit the pipeline...some were rescued in time & we hear of them but many more are gone...
What we have though is a supply and demand issue...overabundance of supply and not enough demand till recently may have changed that.
Closed rendering houses here in the states that do take the sick, infirmed and those that are dangerous/deadly out has been shut down. Those animals now either are euthanized or ship out of this nation.
Not everyone can afford to euthanize their old and ailing horse, so yes...they swallow hard and send to market and allow someone else to do the dirty deed, but they no longer own, nor see...
Slaughter bound and auctions combined is not the purpose of this thread so let us not turn it into that or it will get shut/closed as we all know...

What was the purpose of the thread is...
A horse was found to come from a auction....
Can it be....
Is it healthy, safe and reliable a riding partner and the answer to that many times over is YES!!!

With that I bid all a friendly farewell...
Please don't take this thread down the heated and hated slaughter or not path, please don't!
I touched it briefly, and should not have and shall report me for that transgression!!
Instead I encourage the new owner their horse is a fine animal worthy of a loving home and good care from them...
So far, till that "he came from...." was known there was no issue...
Don't assume horrors when none are present...enjoy your lovely horse and time spent together!
🐴....
Your paragraph about old and ailing horses “sent to market” struck me hard. A few weeks ago I spoke with a friend I hadn’t talked to in a while and told her that Angelina was no longer rideable. She said, WHY would you keep a horse you can’t ride?
Because she’d end up on someone’s dinner plate? Angelina gave me eight years of riding pleasure and the very least I can do for her is to care for and give her love the rest of her life. When she’s gone, she’ll be buried up on the hill where she loves it best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts