The Horse Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And, the good girl who waits and minds her own business.

DSC_4248.jpg

DSC_4414.jpg

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Ha, I wish you were the one feeding them in the morning. I would not have a problem with that at all. No one seems to have the the time to do this where they are at.

I am going to start being more insistent about this with them just for the mere fact that I wouldn't want them to scare someone else who might resort to hitting them to get back because they are fearful of them.

Like Horseluvinguy said, you never know what the future holds.

This wasn't really a how to question. I just wanted to know what other peoples thoughts were on this behavior whether they thought it was really a big deal or not.
I was like you several years ago, until I got the stuffing kicked out of me. I was carrying 5 bowls of feed and walking behind my 5 youngsters. One was devilin' another one and the one got sick of his stuff and let fly with both back feet. Thank God I had 5 rubber tubs full of feed between my ribs/spleen/liver and those feet. He nailed me hard enough to throw me backwards several feet and knock the wind out of me. Nothing broken but I was black & blue from the middle of my ribs down to my hips for weeks. And that was just from an accidental kick, he didn't even mean to get me, just misjudged his kick. I hadn't thought I was close enough to get it even if he'd been prone to kicking, which he was not, but that one day...…...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFF! Ever since, they can just stay out of my space. And they all know "Hey Hey Hey, not while I'm in the pasture!" and back off or I'll swing my whip at them and if they're close enough, well, I reach out and touch 'em.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They've been doing pretty good. Every night this week I've made sure that I bring a lead rope out with me and wiz it around if they get too close. It's really not a lot of drama, they just walk off and stand out there about 15 feet away. Sure enough, I dropped by with a friend on the way back from the beach and a nice lunch and forgot to bring the lead out with me to feed and they were right there. Pffft. Not going to give up though, they will get conditioned eventually.

They still grab the hay as it's going over the fence in the mornings but whatever, can't do anything about that.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
My rule is that if I'm holding it, it is mine. They can follow closely but aren't allowed to mug me. Most of the time, i am dumping food into their buckets over the fence so it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My rule is that if I'm holding it, it is mine. They can follow closely but aren't allowed to mug me. Most of the time, i am dumping food into their buckets over the fence so it isn't an issue.
That's pretty much what they do, Follow VERY closely. They don't really mug me because I don't let them. They would if they could. I probably would dump it over the fence but I have to make sure that Novia gets hers by standing guard for her.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts