The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is an ok forum to add this too. Bear with me this is a little long, but figured this could be the best place to find opinions on the matter. Currently I board at my friend's home (which is fantastic) but my husband and I look at properties all the time, we would be ready to buy in about 10 years. So today I found something interesting. It is a house community with horse boarding within the housing development, has anyone ever heard of that? I hadn't until today. The facility is beautiful, super clean with a fly control system, 2 250x300 arenas, 3 round pens and several turnouts. It also has an entrance to my one of my favorite trails off the property. Also the house is basically 200k cheaper than everything else we've been looking at, which means we could move sooner and afford more ponies. Boarding there is 200 a month for a 16x30 covered stall with her feed included. The dream was always to have our own property so I wouldn't have to board and could see my ponies everyday without driving, but I can walk to this facility since it's half a block away from the house we are looking at. This seems like it could be good option for the two of us and the house is also beautiful, which is a plus wouldn't have to fix anything. What's your opinion on boarding vs having your ponies at home. I just want to make sure if we go for this option instead of waiting I might not be happy with still boarding and that I might regret it.
If you're still reading thank you 馃槄

Super Moderator
Hopefully this is an ok forum to add this too. Bear with me this is a little long, but figured this could be the best place to find opinions on the matter. Currently I board at my friend's home (which is fantastic) but my husband and I look at properties all the time, we would be ready to buy in about 10 years. So today I found something interesting. It is a house community with horse boarding within the housing development, has anyone ever heard of that?

Yes. Many areas that have access to rural properties will have one or two tucked away for the horse enthusiast that wants a community that is supportive of the lifestyle. makes it easier as you can have access to a barn, training facilities and trails that you may not be able to afford on your own with the bonus of living in the midst of it all and not having to drive to where you board.

I hadn't until today. The facility is beautiful, super clean with a fly control system, 2 250x300 arenas, 3 round pens and several turnouts. It also has an entrance to my one of my favorite trails off the property. Also the house is basically 200k cheaper than everything else we've been looking at, which means we could move sooner and afford more ponies. Boarding there is 200 a month for a 16x30 covered stall with her feed included. The dream was always to have our own property so I wouldn't have to board and could see my ponies everyday without driving, but I can walk to this facility since it's half a block away from the house we are looking at. This seems like it could be good option for the two of us and the house is also beautiful, which is a plus wouldn't have to fix anything. What's your opinion on boarding vs having your ponies at home.

If the house is affordable, you are happy with the amenities; you are comfortable in a neighborhood setting; you clearly understand the rules and regulations that go along with living in such a community then something to look hard at. Some communities have properties that will allow for one or two at home and use of the facilities. Does this one?

I just want to make sure if we go for this option instead of waiting I might not be happy with still boarding and that I might regret it.

Sure we have several around here. They were the norm in some areas I lived.

With the questions you have you want to look at the expectations of the community. Are you going to be limited to the number of horses you can board on site? Is there an allowance for having one or two on the property the house is on or is it board only?

There are advantages to having access to a nice, larger facility. The rules that come with having a horse on your own property within a community that allows for it can bring it's own costs just to stay in compliance and you'll have HOA fees and dues that could amount to the same as board.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's awesome, they are definitely not a normal thing here. I have ridden past the facility a bunch of times when we trail ride. We are going to check out the house and facility this evening, hopefully the facility I'm not exactly sure on the rules right now with Covid. I really hope it could be a good compromise for my husband and I. I'm more into horses than he is, but I think we could get the best of both worlds here. It sounds like it is a really nice community also.

I believe that none of the houses in the neighborhood have the amount of space needed for horses in their yards, but I dont know. I am going to ask my realtor for a list of their HOA (we found out the hoa is about 90 a month, which is what we currently pay in our home now) and barn rules and all of that before we move forward. I have chatted with a lady who lives and boards at this community and she has 2 horses, which is what I plan to have (only one right now, but the 2nd one is in the works). The barn is a non-profit/co-op so it sounds like everyone in the community helps take care of things (which i think is fantastic) which is why the boarding costs can stay as low as they are. I dont worry about all the rules that come with boarding, I have boarded at larger barns before, but with more boarders there can potentially be more drama. I am more of an introvert and Im not about drama, but that is one thing I worry about. Also my mare is used to getting turned out a lot so I also need to figure out how the turnout works there, since I would like her to still get that at least every other day. My husband also works from home so it would be cool if we moved there to get photos of the ponies on his brakes since it's really a 5 min walk from the house to the facility.

Super Moderator
Then go with an open mind and lots of questions. I have friends that live in those type of communities and they love it. A couple are retired couples where one is into horses and the other isn't. Plenty of activity for all and the non horse partner is over joyed that the horse lover has all their horsie needs met close to home.

Here those that also allow for horses at the house range from 2 to 5 acres on the smaller side to 10 to 20 on the larger. There are two that are set up for the housing separate with all horses at the community barn.

Registered
It sounds great, the only thing that I would check out is that feed included thing. Make sure that you are able to make changes to that.

Registered
Sounds like the best of of both worlds. I had my own place for over 25 years, and have boarded for the last 8 years. Boarding was hard for me to get used to at first, but the biggest advantage to me is that if you need to be out of town, your horse is taken care of (I am assuming the place you are looking at has someone who feeds and cleans?) That was the biggest hassle when I had my own place, my parents lived in another state which meant I had to get a house/horse/dog sitter when I wanted to visit, and I had to feed, etc, even when I was very sick.

Banned
Hopefully this is an ok forum to add this too. Bear with me this is a little long, but figured this could be the best place to find opinions on the matter. Currently I board at my friend's home (which is fantastic) but my husband and I look at properties all the time, we would be ready to buy in about 10 years. So today I found something interesting. It is a house community with horse boarding within the housing development, has anyone ever heard of that? I hadn't until today. The facility is beautiful, super clean with a fly control system, 2 250x300 arenas, 3 round pens and several turnouts. It also has an entrance to my one of my favorite trails off the property. Also the house is basically 200k cheaper than everything else we've been looking at, which means we could move sooner and afford more ponies. Boarding there is 200 a month for a 16x30 covered stall with her feed included. The dream was always to have our own property so I wouldn't have to board and could see my ponies everyday without driving, but I can walk to this facility since it's half a block away from the house we are looking at. This seems like it could be good option for the two of us and the house is also beautiful, which is a plus wouldn't have to fix anything. What's your opinion on boarding vs having your ponies at home. I just want to make sure if we go for this option instead of waiting I might not be happy with still boarding and that I might regret it.
Yep, those are springing up all over Florida. Especially in the central and southern areas of the state.

Registered
When I lived in the Tucson area, there was Saddlebrooke up in the Catalinas just above our property. It was a beautiful community and set up much like you describe. I think everyone took a turn at feeding/mucking and they had maintenance "parties" biweekly or monthly, IIRC. It was a retirement community, so not sure if that's what you're looking for but we'd have jumped all over it if we'd been old enough at the time. It also had the benefit of being close to Arbico, no fly predators needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yea, the facility is full care. Pretty sure the only day that I would need to do anything is Sunday and thats just cleaning my stall. They have someone that feeds and cleans and beds the stalls twice daily and since my husband works from home he can turn the horses out during the day for a bit go back home and work and then go get them again. They have 3 different types of hay that they offer or can always bring in my own, but my horse eats what they offer so I think im good there. They also said that you can add on any extra also, pretty much it is a co-op so everyone who owns a house owns a bit of the horse facility also so they treat it that way. We went and toured the house and timed the walk from the house to the barn it's about 2 min. Not too shabby. The facility is really nice and kept really well and the people there showing us around were super nice. I can tell that more people are gone for the summer since it was pretty quiet, we learned that about 70% of the neighborhood are snowbirds, which is a-ok with me. We ended up putting an offer on the house and it was accepted :) I forgot to mention that the house was beautiful also, and my husband is super happy he doesn't have to do the large amount of work that came with all the other properties we had been looking at. I really think that it will be the best of both worlds for us and can definitely be that forever house where we can retire (whenever that is) and we can still have horses and not have to worry about all the work that comes with owning a lot of land. I included an image of the facility also and I think all of us are going to be pretty happy here, so hopefully everything works out!

Attachments

Registered
Congratulations! That sounds AWESOME!

Reactions: Dria

Registered
Congrats! Sounds like one of the most straight forward house-buying experiences I've ever heard of, especially with horses involved! Hope you love it. When's your moving date?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats! Sounds like one of the most straight forward house-buying experiences I've ever heard of, especially with horses involved! Hope you love it. When's your moving date?
Thank you! It has been very straight forward and fast. It has been crazy since we just went and saw the house like a week or so ago. They actually let us put an offer on the house too before ours technically went up on the market, which was pretty cool. It has been listed for over a month since it is a tad over priced comparatively so I think they were happy to get interest on it, but we have our inspection this week as well as the appraisal so that will kinda tell on how we move forward. We had to get our home painted before we listed, so that took most of the week last week. It goes up for sale this week and our realtor thinks that it will fly since it is a nice small beginner home in a really desirable area (hopefully) so our closing date is set right now for the end of June/beginning of July hoping that everything else kind of falls into place like it has been thus far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts