The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am hoping to move to Bend, OR but before I do so, I wanted to explore the boarding barns in the area to find which ones might be the best fit for my horse and me. I would love to hear your recommendations! I am looking for reasonable board, an indoor arena, an outdoor arena, access to trails, lots of turnout, exceptional horse care, and a friendly atmosphere. Ideally, it would be a mixed discipline barn since I love both western and english sports and would love to continue to grow in both.
Any suggestions and/or warnings would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
It's been about 15 years ago but I used to work at a barn on the southeast side of Bend off of China Hat Rd. Orion Farms. Neat place indoor and outdoor riding, turn outs and it butted up to national forest with miles of trails. Back then it had two trainers, one a hunter jumper the other dressage. Given how long ago it was not sure if it's under the same name or owner but it might be a place to start. Hopefully someone that actually lives there will be more help. Good luck on your move!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Live 2hrs away from Bend so I don't know any specific barns to recommend. I can say that's horse country out there so you'll have a lot of options. Don't get to stuck on finding the perfect barn until after you get there when you'll have more time/opportunity to look for a good fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is really good to hear, Darrin. I am excited to live in an active horse community. And thank you for the words of wisdom regarding finding the right barn. You are so right. That does take some pressure off:D Im sure it will take a bit of time to feel the area out and figure out the perfect barn. I do appreciate hearing people's thoughts on the barns in the area too. :D Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I live in Bend, but board with a friend so I can't exactly help you there, but wanted to chime in to say that you shouldn't have much trouble finding a suitable place. There are LOTS of places that back onto BLM land, too, so if trail riding is your thing, you should be able to find a place to ride right out from the barn, without having to trailer unless you want to.

However, you should be warned that the rental market here is tight. RIDICULOUSLY tight. So definitely don't head out here without a place to live lined up. If you plan to buy eventually, you might want to just jump straight to that now, even though most of the time it's a smart idea to rent for a while to get a feel for a locale and give yourself time to look. Seriously. Not only are the prices high, but landlords can pretty much demand no pets, ridiculous clauses about inspections (someone said they have to allow MONTHLY inspections!), etc. It's crazy here. Finding a spot for your horse will most likely be much easier than finding a place to live.

If you're on Facebook, check out the "Everything Horse in Deschutes County and Central Oregon Area" group. There are sometimes boarding places posted there, and you can post an "in search of" ad and probably hear about more private or word-of-mouth situations as well. Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your input, sabowin. I had no idea the rental market was so tough! Thank you for the heads-up! And thanks, too for the Facebook group. I will take a look there as well! :D :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.