The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this is kinda a vent, but I also need advice. I just recently bought my first horse and it’s been a huge dream of mine. I have experience riding and I used to volunteer with a local horse rescue. So this all started when I ended up moving away a few months ago to a new area. When I first moved to my new location I started a few lessons with this facility to get back into being around horses. I then found the great opportunity to start owning my first horse. She is a 15 year old mare quarter horse. When I brought her to the facility the attitude of the facility started to changed. I told them this horse has sat for 3 month by the previous owners. They told me they like to give my horse a test ride. I agreed. My horse starts to throw her head a bit when riding, but besides that she rides fine. Now the facility is telling me horse is green! Okay.. I don’t believe she is green. You can saddle her, get on her, walk her, trot her, canter her, but she throws her head a lot. I don’t disagree that she needs some tuning up. But I doubt she is green. Long story short the facility had me start some training for her for 1 month. And it’s helping a lot! She throws her head a lot less. But the problem is trainer and facility do not want me to do anything with my horse!! They told me they don’t want me to mess with her during the training. So I can’t even lunge my own horse or ride her. That really bothers me. I really want to lunge my horse to achieve join up with her. But the trainer told me I can halter her and walk her but not to lunge her because I may teach her “bad lessons”. I’m frustrated mainly because I feel like this facility is dictating what I can and can not do with my horse. I get that they don’t want to mess with the training and confuse my horse, but to tell me I can’t do anything with her really upsets me. It’s my horse. Is it right of them to tell me this?
Thank you for reading! Sorry if this was a long post.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Um. Ok. First - the "green" thing is dependent on who you are talking to and what you want to do with the horse. If these are people that are looking at her as a show prospect then she might qualify as green to them but at 15 years old I would be more like you and say - eh she's just rusty. Not green. Now she may not have any professional training or her riding has been local level, back yard, fun, whatever so she's not show ready.

The head tossing could be avoidance, it could be ear mites, it could be bad teeth, it could be anything so that would be something I would look into but if it's her warm up routine (she does it for the first 10 minutes or so type deal) then it may be nothing but habit.

As for not wanting you to mess with her - I think that's pretty normal for the first 30 days of training. At least in my experience the trainers haven't wanted me doing anything until they were ready to add me to the mix and in the beginning, they wanted it during lessons only. So I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary although I know you want to build a bond with your horse. I would assume they will let you groom her and such?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question- did you put her in training with them or are you just boarding her there and they’ve taken it upon themselves to “train” her. Are you paying them to train her or are you paying to board her there?
I was just planning on boarding her and using her as western pleasure trail horse. They suggested she get some training in and I am paying extra for the training. I pay for it all myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Um. Ok. First - the "green" thing is dependent on who you are talking to and what you want to do with the horse. If these are people that are looking at her as a show prospect then she might qualify as green to them but at 15 years old I would be more like you and say - eh she's just rusty. Not green. Now she may not have any professional training or her riding has been local level, back yard, fun, whatever so she's not show ready.

The head tossing could be avoidance, it could be ear mites, it could be bad teeth, it could be anything so that would be something I would look into but if it's her warm up routine (she does it for the first 10 minutes or so type deal) then it may be nothing but habit.

As for not wanting you to mess with her - I think that's pretty normal for the first 30 days of training. At least in my experience the trainers haven't wanted me doing anything until they were ready to add me to the mix and in the beginning, they wanted it during lessons only. So I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary although I know you want to build a bond with your horse. I would assume they will let you groom her and such?
When I got her my plans were to have a mature (older) horse that I could ride western pleasure on. They say she is green, but personally I think she just has some quirks in her that need adjusting.

With her teeth and a vet check, I recently just had them done. Her feet were a bit over grown and she had a bit of sharp points in her mouth. I got to be a part of the floating and feel the difference in her mouth. She passed a normal physical. Ear mites I have not checked, but will check now.
I think the head tossing thing is a bad habit. The more she is ridden the better improvement on it I see.

I’m glad to see that the 30 day training is normal. I would just like to join up with my horse. I haven’t been able to really work with her personally since I’ve gotten her. I do groom her and check on her every day. I Iike to be a part of everything as I can.

Thank you for advice! It is really helpful

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your trainer should be workiing with YOU and the horse so that whatever you did with the horse was done correctly. But, of course, their idea of correctly may not be yours. Ultimately, you pay the rent, so you have the power to 'walk'. leave.
Thank you!! I would like to be more a part of her training but this place wants to charge for every advice I feel like.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
When you mention joining up, I think you might have read that having a horse in a round pen and getting them to follow you is some sort of crucial bonding ritual with a horse. Many experienced horse people don't think that idea is valid. It was sort of a fad for a while that was sold to beginners.

Becoming friends with a horse involves letting them get to know you. That means spending a lot of time handling them. This is far more important than any "join up."
Taking the horse out for walks, moving her around your body and moving yours around her so she understands how to interact with your space and cues, grooming (which is a true way horses bond with each other), hanging out while she eats, these things will help your horse get to know you. If you talk to your horse a lot, she'll learn to recognize when your voice is pleased or displeased. This will help a lot when you are actually lunging and riding, and need to let her know if she is doing something right or wrong.

It's like any other friend. You don't go to meet them, have a magical moment over a cup of coffee and now everything will go just right between you two. Instead, you have to get to know all about each other and develop a friendship over time based on trust built in many ways.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was just planning on boarding her and using her as western pleasure trail horse. They suggested she get some training in and I am paying extra for the training. I pay for it all myself.
It's like this. You hired these people to train your mare. You made that decision. They work for you. So, you have to decide whether you trust them and will abide by their advice during this period of time, or if your desire to lunge and "join up" with your mare is more of a priority than trusting the people YOU hired to train your horse.

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong. Ultimately it's your money, your horse, and your decision. You have the final say in all of this.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
When you send a horse for training, you do not ride the horse, lunge the horse or train it in any way. You can brush, pet, walk and bond with the horse by doing just that. You can also teach a horse bad habits by just leading it around. I would follow the trainers advice for the 30 days as you state the horse is not tossing her head as much now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all they are not the owners and they are not your mother. It is your horse, she is your responsibility. If you don't see a problem then I would say they are stepping over that fine line just as most do when a "newbie" comes along. Don't let them walk all over you or tell you how to manage your horse.

If you have questions about health, ask the vet. If it's feet, ask your farrier. If you think there really is a "training" issue, ask a trainer. And not someone who thinks they are one. And there are many of those out there who can actually make things worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you send a horse for training, you do not ride the horse, lunge the horse or train it in any way. You can brush, pet, walk and bond with the horse by doing just that. You can also teach a horse bad habits by just leading it around. I would follow the trainers advice for the 30 days as you state the horse is not tossing her head as much now.
From what I read, they wouldn't even let her do anything with her horse....
I would have found a different trainer and It really doesn't sound like the horse even needs one.
Sounds more like she said, "a bad habit" which seems to improve as she is worked with....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Okay so this is kinda a vent, but I also need advice. I just recently bought my first horse and it’s been a huge dream of mine. I have experience riding and I used to volunteer with a local horse rescue. So this all started when I ended up moving away a few months ago to a new area. When I first moved to my new location I started a few lessons with this facility to get back into being around horses. I then found the great opportunity to start owning my first horse. She is a 15 year old mare quarter horse. When I brought her to the facility the attitude of the facility started to changed. I told them this horse has sat for 3 month by the previous owners. They told me they like to give my horse a test ride. I agreed. My horse starts to throw her head a bit when riding, but besides that she rides fine. Now the facility is telling me horse is green! Okay.. I don’t believe she is green. You can saddle her, get on her, walk her, trot her, canter her, but she throws her head a lot. I don’t disagree that she needs some tuning up. But I doubt she is green. Long story short the facility had me start some training for her for 1 month. And it’s helping a lot! She throws her head a lot less. But the problem is trainer and facility do not want me to do anything with my horse!! They told me they don’t want me to mess with her during the training. So I can’t even lunge my own horse or ride her. That really bothers me. I really want to lunge my horse to achieve join up with her. But the trainer told me I can halter her and walk her but not to lunge her because I may teach her “bad lessons”. I’m frustrated mainly because I feel like this facility is dictating what I can and can not do with my horse. I get that they don’t want to mess with the training and confuse my horse, but to tell me I can’t do anything with her really upsets me. It’s my horse. Is it right of them to tell me this?
Thank you for reading! Sorry if this was a long post.
When you mention joining up, I think you might have read that having a horse in a round pen and getting them to follow you is some sort of crucial bonding ritual with a horse. Many experienced horse people don't think that idea is valid. It was sort of a fad for a while that was sold to beginners.

Becoming friends with a horse involves letting them get to know you. That means spending a lot of time handling them. This is far more important than any "join up."
Taking the horse out for walks, moving her around your body and moving yours around her so she understands how to interact with your space and cues, grooming (which is a true way horses bond with each other), hanging out while she eats, these things will help your horse get to know you. If you talk to your horse a lot, she'll learn to recognize when your voice is pleased or displeased. This will help a lot when you are actually lunging and riding, and need to let her know if she is doing something right or wrong.

It's like any other friend. You don't go to meet them, have a magical moment over a cup of coffee and now everything will go just right between you two. Instead, you have to get to know all about each other and develop a friendship over time based on trust built in many ways.
oh yes, I completely agree. I do exactly that everyday. I go spend that time with her to get her used to me and build trust. When I think of join up I think of building that bond with your horse no matter if it’s sitting with her and working with her. It’s about being engaged. I think join up is used or taught with different meanings.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
From what I read, they wouldn't even let her do anything with her horse....
I would have found a different trainer and It really doesn't sound like the horse even needs one.
Sounds more like she said, "a bad habit" which seems to improve as she is worked with....
She Hired them to train her horse. No one forced her. She agreed. She can simply fire the trainer.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Is there some kind of written agreement regarding the training? For how long were they going to train? Open ended deals can be problematic and full of misunderstanding. Maybe another discussion with the trainer about your expectations and their expectations is needed so everyone is on the same page.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts