The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

As many of you know, I just got a new horse about 2-3 months ago.

He's a 16.3 hand OTTB!

I found the PERFECT boots for us! I'll include the link:

https://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-pro-sport-horse-boots-with-fleece-lining/p/X1-04239/

They're fleece, all purpose, and are affordable. Since I'm a teen, majority of the "extra" stuff is not paid for by my parents. They're not "horsey" people so they don't really understand the need for boots!

I'm a hunter rider, and the highest I've jumped with my horse so far is 2'6" but we're hoping to go higher, especially since I know he can, as he has scope, he used to be a higher level eventer, and he's been to quite a few h/j shows and jumped in the 3' classes, and even a 3'6"!

I really want more protection for his legs. He does tend to hit his hooves against each other, but my trainer said it's something called "raughing"? Is that a thing? I texted her about it after I heard him doing it, so she's really never seen it. Do you think bell boots would be a good idea?

So really, my question is:

What size boots do you think would be appropriate for my horse? He has regular sized legs.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Do you mean forging or over reaching? Or brushing/interference?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There is a size chart to follow on Dover's website, and also written in the description of the item.

·
Premium Member
23,898 Posts
What size boots do you think would be appropriate for my horse? He has regular sized legs.
I don't know about tendon or splint or brushing boots, or whatever sort you're talking of, but pretty sure 'regular size legs' is NOT a thing! If you wanted some idea here, measurements would help.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Those boots won't protect his hooves from each other. If he isn't catching and injuring the heel then you probably just need the farrier. If he is bell boots and farrier.

Unless he has a tendency or history of injury then at your level it is simply protection for the just in case and because everyone else does.

Some trainers like to see boots of the SMB type for support, again depending on the horse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts